Dealing with depression and anxiety

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Mainly I am afraid of storms: ridiculous, I know, but I was living in Georgia when the April 27'th tornadoes came through. Many things and places I knew were destroyed, including a restaurant that was the place me and my friend had hung out in for years. It's crazy, but now I swear I'm terrified of storms, wind, rain, cloudy weather even...I am really not even looking forward to Spring for that reason alone. I've even begged my Dad to move us somewhere else.I hate hearing people talk about tornadoes, reading about them terrifies me.
I don't blame you for being afraid of storms, especially if you live in an area where severe weather is common. It's scary because there's absolutely nothing you can do about a storm. There's not really a lot of severe weather here in Connecticut, so I was terrified when Hurricane Irene hit back in August. I didn't go as far as barricading myself in my dorm room with 25 bottles of water, 18 boxes of Pop-Tarts, and 12 flashlights or whatever else is in a doomsday kit, but I was really worried about losing power and wind damage. Luckily me and my friends were fine, but I'd prefer to not deal with another hurricane anytime soon.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Hey Christopher.
You definatley asked the right people, everyone here on this forum is so close-knit and really nice.
I understand your problems. But I'm not really a therapist so I don't really think I should just give advice, that may not the best thing. But you should talk this over with a therapist.
Whenever you need anyone to talk to, just send me a message to my inbox.
Sincerely,
Muppet fan 123

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I'm really glad this subject was brought up, because I think this is the only family with which I can discuss such things and not be judged or brushed off. I've been dealing with bouts of severe depression since I got out of highschool, but I can't discuss it with my family. They have all made it very clear to me that they feel depression is over-diagnosed and an "excuse" for feeling sorry for yourself... and because of this, I've really never discussed it with anyone.
I truly feel God has saved & protected me from the results of my depression, and I've learned to work through it instead of taking drastic measures. I've also found that the best way to bring myself out of the gloom is to turn on some music and dance, for hours at a time if I have to.
It's good to know I'm not the only one.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'm really glad this subject was brought up, because I think this is the only family with which I can discuss such things and not be judged or brushed off. I've been dealing with bouts of severe depression since I got out of highschool, but I can't discuss it with my family. They have all made it very clear to me that they feel depression is over-diagnosed and an "excuse" for feeling sorry for yourself... and because of this, I've really never discussed it with anyone.
That's too bad to hear that your family is not receptive to your feelings of depression, because I think that those kinds of reactions can only work to hurt recovery from depression. I've never really discussed my depression with my family, but for different reasons. My mother is an extremely sensitive person who has very low self-esteem. I would not be surprised if she has dealt with depression in the past, but I can't be too sure. I am afraid if I were to mention my problems to her, she would blame herself for my condition because I have mentioned my dissatisfaction with her handling of family situations. The last thing I want to do is cause my mother to feel blame for something that was really nobody's fault. I prefer to discuss my problems with my friends and therapist.

Remember, we're always here if you need to voice your problems or concerns.

robodog

Reaction score
You aren't alone. I have dealt with anxiety and depression since the early 90s and recently I found out I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder as well. There is always a feeling of fear and worry gnawing at the back of my brain even during those rare times when I'm happy. Anything can set me off, even things many people would find trivial. The only things that truly make me feel better are my dogs. I'm terrified of someday finding myself in a position where I can't have dogs. To compensate for this I collect robotic dogs since you can have them anywhere. Of course I then worry about the robotic dogs falling apart and being unable to replace them. I know if I ever found myself in a position where I couldn't have real dogs and the robot dogs had fallen apart with no replacements to be had I would commit suicide since I would have lost the only coping mechanisms I have. I really wouldn't have any other options short of living a life of pure misery with no happiness to be had.
Even things that most people would take as something to look forward to cause me anxiety, like getting a package in the mail. I've been anxious all weekend because I ordered some things Friday. I paid for overnight shipping but because of the weekend and the holiday they won't be here till Tuesday. I'm terrified that my package will be lost. I'm afraid to even check the tracking for fear of finding out it's gone in a vastly different direction than it's supposed to. A minor thing for some but for me a source of panic and worry.
The New Year is also a source of worry. While most see it as a chance at a clean slate I spend the time worrying about all the things that could go wrong during the new year. Normally I'm overwhelmingly depressed on New Year's Eve. I got a reprieve this year because I hadn't slept in two days so I spent this New Years Eve passed out in bed.

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
Hi Christopher, as many have said, thank you for posting this.

I maybe a young gal, but, I can relate. I have had bad anxiety since three years ago (due to life events) and I was soon diagnosed with depression and PTSD. I am a chronic worrier if there ever was one! I take the cake at worrying which probably isn't such a great thing...

Talking about these kinds of things really helps and discussions like these help me to know that I'm not alone and that there are others like me around and that even though some days might seem like never endings struggles, we're not alone.

If you need someone to talk to, I'm always up for it.

~Ellie

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Even things that most people would take as something to look forward to cause me anxiety, like getting a package in the mail. I've been anxious all weekend because I ordered some things Friday. I paid for overnight shipping but because of the weekend and the holiday they won't be here till Tuesday. I'm terrified that my package will be lost. I'm afraid to even check the tracking for fear of finding out it's gone in a vastly different direction than it's supposed to. A minor thing for some but for me a source of panic and worry.
Yeah I definitely recognize that as OCD. Hang in there! :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
For some reason this forum, more than any of the hundreds Ive been on since the 90's, seems to have the highest concentration of people with emotional/mental/aspie/other/health/other issues. And I think I know why...because to be a Muppet fan, you have to be a little special. We arent Dr Who, Firefly, Star Wars, Halos, Buffy, Trekkie, Twilight, Ringers, Hogwarters, etc...that's all mainstream stuff. The Muppets has always been a very small niche group, and attracts mostly genuine, kind warm people. And it's this sort of atmosphere that fosters a sense of understanding and openness. Most forums are full of so much snark, mean cynicism, "trolling", etc. The closest Ive seen to "trolling" is
people with passionate strong views. Which I really wouldnt call trolling

Anyhoo, I am glad ya posted this thread. I think a lot of people on here can relate. Last year in 2011 I went through the deepest depression Ive had since 2001. Spring-summer 2001 I went through some crazy bad depression and anxiety, and last year it came close to that.

I've had a lifelong onset of anxiety, clinical depression, ocd, panic attacks...but! Most people who know me would never know. Im very social, love going out dancing/shows/events and am always jovial and helpful. It's just I rarely know anyone in real life I can get down to real real stuff. Deep personal feelings, lest I make someone feel uncomfortable. It's a sort of poverty of honesty perhaps in male culture, where we have to tiptoe around such things.

It sucks as one minute Im Gene Kelly dancing on park benches level of happy...then I could overhear a bad crime story on the news or overhear someone at a restaurant talking about something terrible...and it kind of triggers depression.

I feel truly bad for those individuals absolutely crippled by their thoughts/fears/anxiety or who feel stuck in the headlights. All I can say is, it gets better! Just make 2012 YOUR year, and say "Im worth too much to be tied down by these weights"

RedPiggy

Reaction score
It's a sort of poverty of honesty perhaps in male culture, where we have to tiptoe around such things.
It's not just a guy thing, though. I'm a grown woman who has rarely known what it is like to have an intimate honesty with someone, especially unrelated someones. I feel here, though, I can be myself. :big_grin: