1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Dealing with depression and anxiety

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by charlietheowl, Dec 30, 2011.

1. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I think that the Muppets in general can appeal to people who deal with mental, emotional or other health issues because the humor is isn't spiteful or mean-spirited or anything. It's just some nice, easygoing fun, and that's good for people who are dealing with burdens in their life. Plus, the characters (I find this especially true for Fraggle Rock) are three-dimensional, so I think it's easier for people to catch glimpses of themselves in what they're watching, and relate to it.
    Puckrox likes this.
  2. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Oh absolutely. Yeah Fraggle Rock(man I wish that could have been seen on public tv by more people) is such an incredible multi dimensional show with a lot of great messages(and music!) I always cry from watching the final episode.

My mom always mentioned how it was the Muppets in her experience as a disabled/special needs teacher that really unlocked children, even in severe Autism cases. Really brought them out. (Muppets being the Muppet show characters, Sesame or Fraggle Rock of course) Im not putting down Disney, Looney Tunes, etc but Im just not sure any other franchise can really connect on those deeper soulful levels of joy, laughter, imagination and celebration.
    Yorick, newsmanfan and charlietheowl like this.
  3. beatnikchick300

beatnikchick300 Active Member

Thank you for sharing. I've had depression since I was 16, and it's good to see I'm not alone. I wish you all the best. *hugs*
  4. vettech28

vettech28 Active Member

The only reason I get depressed is because I'm away from my family during college for a fairly long time and I miss them or I'm struggling in a class and worrying if I'll pass it. My anxiety issues started during my sophomore year of college, probably triggered by me failing two classes during the fall semester at that time, not being with my family because of summer classes and stress from classes and exams and also worry for my personal health, I've pretty much always been a worrywart.

Watching the Muppets has helped a lot with these. It helps me relax and be happy and makes me forget about anything that's going on in my life.
  5. charlietheowl

School for me is stressful. I've always done pretty well, but I never think any of my work is any good before I hand it in or take a test. I always feel like what I'm doing is subpar, and that grates on me. I'm debating or not whether to do my senior honors thesis this upcoming semester because I don't know if I'm mentally strong enough at this point in time to write such a long paper. It's a tough decision, because I've been pushing towards this for a couple of years, and I'll be disappointed if I don't write it, but I have to figure out what's best for myself.
  6. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I think that's why I never went to college. As I have seen the insane stress people go through coupled with the fact people rarely find work truly dealing with their degree...I guess the social aspect would have been my main reason for going, but I've always followed my own oddball path.
  7. charlietheowl

I love most things about college; I've met some incredible people, learned a lot of interesting things, been to a lot of great sporting events, and had a lot of fun times. But it is stressful, and I've seen that stress cut a lot of my peers (including myself) down to size. Still, I wouldn't trade this past three-and-a-half years for anything, despite all that I've been through.
    heralde likes this.
  8. LinkiePie<3

LinkiePie<3 Well-Known Member

*huggles* I also suffer from severe depressive episodes, and anxiety.

I'm here if ya need someone to listen and compassion to your tough experiences. :sympathy:
  9. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

Could you guys keep me in your thoughts and prayers tonight? I feel like I'm just on the verge of an anxious episode.
  10. charlietheowl

Will do. I hope you can make it through the evening okay. Feel free to inbox me if you need help or just would like to vent.
  11. Gonzo's Hobbit

Thanks charlie :) I might just take you up on that. But I wanna see if it dissapates by tomorrow. There's a chance it's just because I'm tired. But I've just got that feeling I get before episodes happen :sigh:
  12. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Aw sure thing. Yeah I was feeling pretty bad last night too, couldn't fall asleep which almost never happens to me. So I sympathize, heh, hang in there. :)
  13. Gonzo's Hobbit

Thanks.
    Are you feeling any better? Or should we keep you in mind as well?
  14. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Aw thank you. :) Yeah last night was just weird. I didn't even think I was really upset about anything but somehow I ended up getting really freaked out in general and just couldn't get to sleep. But I guess I was just nervous about a lot of things going on in life right now. But yeah it did get better, morning is a good thing, hehe. :)
  15. charlietheowl

I hope everybody is feeling better today.
  16. Gonzo's Hobbit

Yea, little bit, thanks :) I still feel like I'm on the fence but it doesn't feel as iminent as it did last night.
  17. Puckrox

Puckrox Well-Known Member

Yesterday was the pits for me. I was in such a bad funk and just felt down in the dumps almost all day. It picked up close to the end of it, but yeah. Just seems like everyone's been feeling down lately. :(
  18. Gonzo's Hobbit

Could it be the time of year?
  19. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

I was in a bad mood yesterday, myself. Had a bit of a crying fit and had to make some phone calls for reassurance.
  20. Puckrox

Puckrox Well-Known Member

I probably should've made phone calls. Nothing says "depressing day" like crying in your theatre department's bathroom stall. Yeesh.

Hopefully today will be better for all of us!