Fan Poll: Favorite Sesame Street Christmas Production

What is your favorite Sesame Street Christmas production?

• A Sesame Street Christmas Carol (2006)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Special Sesame Street Christmas (1978)

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Christmas Eve on Sesame Street (1978)

Votes: 45 84.9%
  • Elmo Saves Christmas (1996)

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Elmo's Christmas Countdown (2007)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Elmo's World: Happy Holidays (2002)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. I love Elmo Saves Christmas, but Kermit has a great role in CEOSS. I love that frog, and has the great song "I hate Christmas". Hey could someone who grew up with classic Sesame please explain this for me? (I'm a 90's kid) Why is it Big Bird's friend sees Snuffy if it's before the 80's. Isn't that when the rest of the cast met Snuffy?

sesamekid75

Reaction score
My choice is also Christmas Eve on Sesame Street in part because it's the only one I've ever seen. I have fond memories of watching it on TV every year as a kid in the 80s and early 90s.
Well, I would say that Elmo Saves Christmas is my favorite, but only because it is so cute to see him watching It's a Wonderful Life on television ... if that is what he is doing and if that is the movie the scene was in. I did not grow up watching any of Sesame Street's Christmas productions, but I did have a Christmas cassette tape I listened to, the one about how Big Bird really wants to see Santa come down the chimoney, but I forget what it's called. Does anyone know?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I did have a Christmas cassette tape I listened to, the one about how Big Bird really wants to see Santa come down the chimoney, but I forget what it's called. Does anyone know?
It's called Christmas Eve on Sesame Street and I'd highly recommend watching the TV special that went with it. It's on DVD and it remains a true classic. :wisdom:

sesamekid75

Reaction score
I knew what I was voting for as soon as I saw the title of this thread. :smile: Christmas Eve on Sesame Street-- I used to watch it every year. I don't know if there's much else I can say about it with what everyone else has stated so well. But there's another reason why I will always remember it fondly: it was an introduction to "classic" S.S. for me, being born in the late '80s. The story centered around Big Bird, Kermit was there "on the case", I got to see Olivia (though I also knew Olivia from Follow That Birdl) and for years this was all I knew of David (not to mention, he dated Maria?! What?? LOL :flirt:). I don't think I ever thought about Elmo not being there, because Cookie Monster, Grover, Ernie and Bert and Big Bird have always been my favorites (and Kermit of course). It's all I needed for a good S.S. special.

That being said... I was surprised that I liked Elmo Saves Christmas. I thought it was quite clever and really funny in places. It was more "modernized" but it was nice to have a special that Elmo starred in without it being a complete Elmo takeover like lots of things are now. I could have done without a remake of "Keep Christmas With You", but other than that I'd probably rank this one #2. The only other one in the poll I've seen is some parts of A Special S.S. Christmas, but it was kind of one of those things were I saw enough to know I don't really want to finish it.
It's beautiful that you have such fond Sesame Street memories. Thank you for sharing them. I am learning more and more all the time, I guess; I didn't know David dated Maria! I knew someone got married but I wasn't sure. I am glad the Christmas productions still exist.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I didn't know David dated Maria!
Yeah rumor has it that plot line was dropped due to fears over racial tensions. Which is a shame because that's the kind of thing Sesame Street always fought against.

sesamekid75

Reaction score
Yeah rumor has it that plot line was dropped due to fears over raci
al tensions. Which is a shame because that's the kind of thing Sesame Street always fought against.
Yes, that is a shame. I believe they also advocated for any differences in general. Do you think it was also because parents weren't sure about introducing the concept of dating? But then, why would they get married, or was that Louise and someone else who got married?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yes, that is a shame. I believe they also advocated for any differences in general. Do you think it was also because parents weren't sure about introducing the concept of dating? But then, why would they get married, or was that Louise and someone else who got married?
It was Maria and Luis who got married.

sesamekid75

Reaction score
EWHH is good for educating kids about the other 2 major holidays, even showing the religious side of Christmas with a Nativity pageant. And they even managed to make a plot in it where Elmo actually emotes. A total improvement over the actual Elmo's World segments. I'd go as far as saying if Elmo's World were more like the special, it wouldn't be such a pointless waste of 15 minutes. Something more complex than 15 minutes on where your nose is? Imagine how great that would be.
Well, Elmo's World is primarily geared to preschoolers, so it probably appeals to them more. But fifteen minutes talking about a nose is probably for an audience of children whose parents are doing so much at once that they only glance over at the TV and point small ideas out to their kids. That's just my hunch though, unless there are preschoolers glued to the TV. that I am not aware of. Come to think of it, I know they are more interested in looking at Elmo, so maybe if he repeats the same actions then
they don't know they are learning at the same time.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, Elmo's World is primarily geared to preschoolers, so it probably appeals to them more.
I honestly don't think it would have appealed to me as a preschooler. That's actually something I had to deal with a lot as a kid; if you didn't like what's acceptable and popular, something was wrong with you. And they made you pay for it, kids and adults alike. And the whole Elmo's World phenomenon just reminded me of that.

In any case, your average Preschooler is far more intelligent than Elmo's World gives him/her credit for. I read an article recently that described Elmo's appeal as lowest common denominator. He's bright and colorful and gets your attention. But that's about it. Not that different from the appeal of reality shows.