The Muppets is now the top-grossing Muppet movie

Alvin

Reaction score
Maybe we can push it over the edge and be the top selling DVD the day it hits the streets!

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Any news on how The Muppets is doing overseas? I heard it just came out in the UK, and I'm hoping it'll do really well there given the Muppet's history in the UK; the original show being made there, Great Muppet Caper, etc.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Any news on how The Muppets is doing overseas? I heard it just came out in the UK, and I'm hoping it'll do really well there given the Muppet's history in the UK; the original show being made there, Great Muppet Caper, etc.
Technically its not out here until the 10th...Just in time for Valentine's Day.

There are a few preview screenings this weekend though, and I've noticed that everyone's talking about it!

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Technically its not out here until the 10th...Just in time for Valentine's Day.

There are a few preview screenings this weekend though, and I've noticed that everyone's talking about it!
Well, hopefully that positive buzz translates into big ticket sales:big_grin:.

zoebell

Reaction score
by the way, i was just checking out the international grosses so far, and the movie seems to be doing really well in australia, which is interesting

and overall it's at 110 million worldwide, which is a very unqualified success for a movie on a 45 million budget. and it's not done yet, it hasn't opened in quite a few places. the uk, obviously will be a big one. i think it will cross the 150 mark

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
For some reason I had a dream last night about trolling this thread complaining about how Chipmunks made more money than this. Oh well enough about that.

That said, this movie will do incredible overseas. I can see it hitting $150 easy.

zoebell

Reaction score
yeah, and people should remember, overseas grosses do matter, esp to the studios. the last pirates of the caribbean movie was the least grossing one here ever, and it STILL made a billion dollars worldwide. you think the studios cared about the returns in the US? no way

they look at totals. if it ends up 150+ on the relatively cheap budget, that is for sure a hit. add to that the excellent reviews and likely oscar win and there's nothing to be too upset about here, really.

Drtooth

Reaction score
For some reason I had a dream last night about trolling this thread complaining about how Chipmunks made more money than this. Oh well enough about that.
I dunno... did it? Seems that it disappeared out of theaters within a week after Christmas vacation. Even TinTin is still playing in a theater that dumped it 2 weeks ago. Muppets is still playing at one place. We can take comfort that Arthur Christmas only made 45 Mil worldwide... that's barely a couple mil over what Muppets made domestically in a week. The movie already hit the 100 mil internationally... once it hits the UK, it will be BIG... I hope.

zoebell

Reaction score
i hope so too. i'm surprised it's not coming out in France until April though. why so late there? and is it going to come out in japan at all? i didn't see a release date for it there

and actually, i hate to say it but it looks like arthur christmas did make 100 million overseas. so that's actually at 146 million worldwide. the budget was 100 million though, so that's not a huge profit, really

this one on the other hand, will be much more profitable. esp if it ends where we think it will. it's guaranteed to triple its budget

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I dunno... did it? Seems that it disappeared out of theaters within a week after Christmas vacation. Even TinTin is still playing in a theater that dumped it 2 weeks ago. Muppets is still playing at one place. We can take comfort that Arthur Christmas only made 45 Mil worldwide... that's barely a couple mil over what Muppets made domestically in a week. The movie already hit the 100 mil internationally... once it hits the UK, it will be BIG... I hope.
Oh... it did. Like you said, it made all it's money over Christmas vacation. It didn't make as much as the movies before it, but it's still the biggest family movie of the holiday season. Yeah...

So like I said, I really hope this explodes overseas. The last thing I want to see is the next Muppet movie to star a rapping hoodie-wearing CG Kermit who makes Charlie Sheen jokes and eats Gonzo's poop.