Where's the love for Rocky and Bullwinkle?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Um, wasn't Season Five supposed to be out long before now? Or did they pull a Leave it to Beaver on us, and rather than release the season and the complete series set separate, they just released the complete series set only? Of course, I haven't seen THAT set either.
Where do you buy your DVD's?

The complete fifth season has been available for a month shy of a year now. it's just incredibly impossible to find. I saw it once. Probably at an FYE... one that's probably gone by now. I saw the fourth season within a week of it coming out, ditto the complete series (which I'm considering, even though I'd be rebuying the first 2 seasons)... but it took me forever to find season 5.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Where do you buy your DVD's?
Well I got Season Four last year at Best Buy, and they're usually the best deal for DVDs in this town: Walmart NEVER releases TV shows on time (unless it's currently trendy shows like 30 Rock or The Office or Big Bang Theory, yadda yadda yadda), fye jacks up their prices like twice what they're supposed to be... Sam Goody was an alternative, but they went out of business years ago... they're where I got Seasons Two and Three (One I actually got at Walmart when it came out, and that was the only season I've seen Walmart carry, afterwards, the Best Of sets went straight to the discount bins).

CountFan1998

Reaction score
Well I went about three years ago, and they still had the Doright ride. I don't know it it's still there though. It apparently changes a lot there.
I believe it's still there. I remember the attraction had a fire in early 2011, so they had to modify/repair a few things. From the looks of it, they actually ended up repairing most of the broken animatronics (the dynamite shack for the final drop included) as well! Doesn't life just work out wonderfully sometimes?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well I got Season Four last year at Best Buy, and they're usually the best deal for DVDs in this town: Walmart NEVER releases TV shows on time (unless it's currently trendy shows like 30 Rock or The Office or Big Bang Theory, yadda yadda yadda), fye jacks up their prices like twice what they're supposed to be... Sam Goody was an alternative, but they went out of business years ago... they're where I got Seasons Two and Three (One I actually got at Walmart when it came out, and that was the only season I've seen Walmart carry, afterwards, the Best Of sets went straight to the discount bins).
Yeah... places like Best Buy and Wal*Mart rarely have what you're looking for. BB doesn't even care about DVD's anymore... Blu-Rays, maybe... but it's impossible to find anything that you can't find anywhere else, and cheaper for that matter.

You may have to order online, and there's no telling what condition it will arrive in. I will say, 90% of the time, they're in good condition. Only problem was one I bought a week ago, that the disk jumped off its spindle and was badly scratched up.

I will say FYE (soon to be gone everywhere) was the only place I saw it consistently. I wouldn't say they "jack up" their prices... they offer the actual SRP of the DVD sets... which is shockingly high, if you ever look up TVshowsonDVD... like 40-50 bucks. They still had a decent selection, and you could find many out of print disks for a reasonable price.... at least, more reasonable than the scalpers on amazon. I didn't get a chance to get it, but I still am missing seasons 3-5 anyway.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I believe it's still there. I remember the attraction had a fire in early 2011, so they had to modify/repair a few things. From the looks of it, they actually ended up repairing most of the broken animatronics (the dynamite shack for the final drop included) as well! Doesn't life just work out wonderfully sometimes?
That's good news! I likedall the puns on the ride. (Saw Wars, Silence of The Hams, Paws!)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah... places like Best Buy and Wal*Mart rarely have what you're looking for. BB doesn't even care about DVD's anymore... Blu-Rays, maybe... but it's impossible to find anything that you can't find anywhere else, and cheaper for that matter.

You may have to order online, and there's no telling what condition it will arrive in. I will say, 90% of the time, they're in good condition. Only problem was one I bought a week ago, that the disk jumped off its spindle and was badly scratched up.

I will say FYE (soon to be gone everywhere) was the only place I saw it consistently. I wouldn't say they "jack up" their prices... they offer the actual SRP of the DVD sets... which is shockingly high, if you ever look up TVshowsonDVD... like 40-50 bucks. They still had a decent selection, and you could find many out of print disks for a reasonable price.... at least, more reasonable than the scalpers on amazon. I didn't get a chance to get it, but I still am missing seasons 3-5 anyway.
Maybe in Boston, but here in K-town, it's quite the reverse: Walmart aside, Best Buy IS the best alternative to finding DVDs... they do have a large Blu-ray selection like you say, but like at the Best Buy in my town, they have three aisles of TV shows on DVD (matter of fact, they had a display case of all individual re-release seasons of M*A*S*H on sale, I grabbed Season Eight as a splurge), movie genres like action/adventure, comedy, and drama have at least two aisles each, there's at least an aisle for documentaries, and kiddy shows and movies have three aisles (two of which are Disney). As for fye, there are two in my town, both in the malls, and they really do jack up their prices: what may be $29-$32 in other stores or online is like $40-50 at fye... plus, they seem to be focusing less attention on DVDs and blu-ray and more attention on CDs and music and such... there's like one aisle for TV shows, one aisle for movies (all genres), an aisle or two for anime, then the rest of the store is music.

As for ordering online, I have had to do that when push has come to shove in obtaining rare movies and such that are either out of print, not sold in stores, or I just can't find them... and you're right, even with them it's a gamble; last year I ordered the special edition re-release of the complete series of H.R. Pufnstuf, which came with a bobblehead figure... when it arrived, the boxed was completely smashed and crushed (then again, Vivendi is among those notorious for the really weak and flimsy "green" packages), so I sent it back and demanded a replacement, because the collector's value had been ruined.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've never seen any copies of season five (or the complete series) in person. It also took me awhile to find any copies of the fourth season.

Something I'm feeling confused about. According to The Moose That Roared book, Mr. Know-It-All and Rocky & Bullwinkle Fan Club both began in season three. Those appear on earlier season DVDs, and yet those and Bullwinkle's Corner are all finished halfway through season 3. I'm pretty sure those are all presented in order even if they're not all in the episodes they were originally in, and I thought there were a lot of Mr. Know It All segments. So does anybody know if episodes of those were repeated on the show before they stopped producing new ones?

Also, The Moose That Roared mentions that after the 39 Aesop and Son episodes, they began making new Fractured Fairy Tales segments again, either because of the segment's popularity or because of Aesop not being as popular. But there were just as many Dudley Do-Right segments, which I think was the most popular supporting segment, while Mr. Peabody had as many episodes as FFT.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I remember several years ago going to a flea market and finding a "promotional VHS" of Rocky and Bullwinkle. It didn't have any packaging (not sure if it was released without packaging or if the packaging was lost before ending up at the flea market) and I have no idea what was included. Anybody have any idea what the promo VHS might have been? A sample of a VHS? The ending promo without a main feature? Select segments from various videos? I recall it being a Buena Vista release.

And speaking of this, today at a flea market I found a promotional VHS copy of the Boris and Natasha movie. I almost purchased it, until I saw the "for promotional use only" label on it. So I'm wondering, is it wrong to purchase used promotional VHS tapes? I know that it was sold at a flea market, but then again, I've also seen many recorded-from-TV VHS tapes at pretty much every flea market I've been to, and that's perhaps more wrong (if buying promotional videos is wrong in the first place).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Something I'm feeling confused about. According to The Moose That Roared book, Mr. Know-It-All and Rocky & Bullwinkle Fan Club both began in season three. Those appear on earlier season DVDs, and yet those and Bullwinkle's Corner are all finished halfway through season 3. I'm pretty sure those are all presented in order even if they're not all in the episodes they were originally in, and I thought there were a lot of Mr. Know It All segments. So does anybody know if episodes of those were repeated on the show before they stopped producing new ones?
Looking in The Moose That Roared, it seems I may have misunderstood something all these years. Reading some sections on the beginning of The Bullwinkle Show on NBC, it says that the sponsors "requested more Mr. Know-It-All" segments. I guess that means Mr. Know-It-All actually began during the Rocky and His Friends years (I'm assuming season two). It mentioned there were 39 Bullwinkle's Corner and 50 Mr. Know-It-All segments, and I've determined that there were more than 39 half-hour episodes of Rocky and His Friends, which means that either Mr. Know-It-All did premiere before or the Bullwinkle's Corner segments were repeated before the show became The Bullwinkle Show in season 3.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing I find interesting yet unusual about Rocky and Bullwinkle was the usage of the laugh track...

The first four or five half-hour episodes of the series used a laugh track for just the Rocky and Bullwinkle segments, and not the others... however, for some reason, at least one Peabody segment from that same period had one as well (which I believe was King Arthur)... and of course, on DVD, all traces of the canned laughter had been completely removed.