The dark day of Valentines Day is upon us...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Its kinda sad how so many holidays with deep meanings have gone so commercialized and are now all about the stuff :/

Drtooth

Reaction score
Technically it was created due to a martyr but of course that's gotten completely lost, heh.
Yeah.. I hate the whole "It was created by women to get more stuff" thing...

I happen to know by being forced to see so many romance animes ($%^#!! Gimme my freaking Fist of the North Star!) that there are 2 specific holidays in Japan... White Day and their version of Valentines day. Their Valentines day is when women give MEN chocolates (or gifts)... White Day (which really WAS the product of the candy corporations in their case) is when men pay those women back by giving them candy and or gifts.

So basically, you get 2 days of being lonely over there. That's probably why there's so much...echehmmmm...eh... hentai that lonely people buy over there...

blackaerin

Reaction score
So basically, you get 2 days of being lonely over there. That's probably why there's so much...echehmmmm...eh... hentai that lonely people buy over there...
In Korea, there's 3 days: Black Day, where you celebrate being single by going to a chinese restaurant and ordering the black bean sauce noodles. Lots of people follow this tradition, so despite not getting chocolate or a significant other, you're never lonely on that day, whether with friends or making new ones.
(But since this is mostly a guy's holiday, you tend to hear a lot of bromantic drunken singing)
Korean Americans just celebrate Black Day on the same day as Valentine's day.

Drtooth

Reaction score
In Korea, there's 3 days: Black Day, where you celebrate being single by going to a chinese restaurant and ordering the black bean sauce noodles. Lots of people follow this tradition, so despite not getting chocolate or a significant other, you're never lonely on that day, whether with friends or making new ones.
I still think if singles want to celebrate Valentines ironically (or this Black Day), what we REALLY need to do is secretly snicker behind the backs of couples with greedy, uncontrollable, misbehaving kids that clearly didn't want them. And the fact that half the time the mother looks like she was the high school...erhhherm... and now she's starting to become a slubby, sweatsuit wearing, genderless blob... you know the girls that treated everyone terribly. Not to mention the knuckleheads that just randomly grab stuff at 5 PM to try to make it look like they didn't forget.

In other words, don't feel that you're sad that you're single... laugh at the mild misfortune of those who are. Not to their faces, of course. That's rude.

Sounds mean, but the ones that really hit it off and are in great relationships laugh at those who are single and lonely on those days.

Slackbot

Reaction score
To quote "Gary Coleman:" S-C-H-A-D-E-N-F-R-E-U-D-E!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I ONLY call Schadenfreude on the kinds of people that call Schadenfreude on me. :fishy:

kyunkyua

Reaction score
Yeah.. I hate the whole "It was created by women to get more stuff" thing...

I happen to know by being forced to see so many romance animes ($%^#!! Gimme my freaking Fist of the North Star!) that there are 2 specific holidays in Japan... White Day and their version of Valentines day. Their Valentines day is when women give MEN chocolates (or gifts)... White Day (which really WAS the product of the candy corporations in their case) is when men pay those women back by giving them candy and or gifts.

Ah, but you're forgetting the most important part - GIRICHOKO. Basically you're obligated to give chocolate to the people you interact with on a daily basis, even if you couldn't care less about them. So you get stuff whether people find you attractive or not. :big_grin:

And really, that's the way we SHOULD be doing it. Why pick and choose when you can give chocolate to everybody? Hey, there's some dude on the street. GIVE HIM SOME CHOCOLATE. That guy has a sweet hat. CHOCOLATE FOR HIM. Janitor here to wipe the tables? HERE, HAVE SOME CHOCOLATE.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah, but you're forgetting the most important part - GIRICHOKO. Basically you're obligated to give chocolate to the people you interact with on a daily basis, even if you couldn't care less about them. So you get stuff whether people find you attractive or not..
Never happens to Ataru... but then that's a bad example right there. :crazy:

Slackbot

Reaction score
There was a fun chapter of Futaba-Kun Change about giri-choco. But I'd be surprised if anyone here but me had heard of that manga.