Dealing with depression and anxiety

beaker

Reaction score
Isn't that just awful? Everyone has their own worries and problems to deal with, but there's just so much pressure these days. I'm scared witless about my future, being about to graduate and all, yet a lot of time I'm prevented from thinking about that because I have to deal with things in front of me (schoolwork, social stuff). Fun stuffs.

And people close to me wonder why I spend my free time watching the Muppets. I need something that's not going to pressure me. :smirk:
I've just stopped caring. The future comes, the future goes. I gave the proverbial middle finger to jobs, school, degrees, religion, society, etc a long time ago

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
I had been taking St. John's Wort, an herbal supplement for my anxiety and it was really helping and I was sleeping through the night again! But, I've had quite a few asthma flare ups and I found out that the St. John's Wort was what made me have those asthma flare ups. It stinks that what was helping my anxiety was hurting me as well and now I can't take it. It's nerve wracking not being able to sleep through the night, but, hopefully I'll talk to my therapist soon and see if I can take something else for my anxiety.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I had been taking St. John's Wort, an herbal supplement for my anxiety and it was really helping and I was sleeping through the night again! But, I've had quite a few asthma flare ups and I found out that the St. John's Wort was what made me have those asthma flare ups. It stinks that what was helping my anxiety was hurting me as well and now I can't take it. It's nerve wracking not being able to sleep through the night, but, hopefully I'll talk to my therapist soon and see if I can take something else for my anxiety.
I'm sorry that you were having flare-ups. My practitioner changed the dosage on my medication recently and it makes me fuzzy sometimes, so I'm going to see her to complain about it.

Exactly what did you find that the saint john's wort did in regards to your anxiety? Was it something you would take like a vitamin in the morning or was it something you would take when you felt really anxious and it would calm you down?

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
I'm sorry that you were having flare-ups. My practitioner changed the dosage on my medication recently and it makes me fuzzy sometimes, so I'm going to see her to complain about it.

Exactly what did you find that the saint john's wort did in regards to your anxiety? Was it something you would take like a vitamin in the morning or was it something you would take when you felt really anxious and it would calm you down?
Thank you for the sympathy <3 And the St. John's Wort helped me not to be shaky, I didn't feel as if my heart was jumping up into my throat and was sleeping soundly. I was taking it regularly about three times a day and it would help to keep me clam.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------
You guys might look into valerian root or melatonin as natural mood-calmers and sleep-inducers. My drug tolerance is too high for them to be effective except in unhealthy doses, but I know they work for a lot of people.

--------------------

charlietheowl

Reaction score
There comes a point when you've just had enough. In the past year, I've had to deal with fear over my uncertain future, fear over my the dissolution of my family, and fear over the reactions of others' to my bisexuality. That's a LOT to deal with, and I think I have done a fairly good job. I've kept it mostly together, fallen down a few times, but still managed to pick myself up. Yet everybody reaches a limit.

My parents are splitting up. My sister told me on the phone yesterday that she wished that her aunt and uncle were her biological parents and then she told my mother to "rot in h***" over the phone. My mother tossed my father out, but then had to take him back in temporarily because he simply had no place to go. I have four midterms next week. I have received pained phone calls from my mother and sister in the past 48 hours. I am exhausted, and yet I know the world is not going to stop for me and let me take a break. The world only stops for those who are surrounded by people hapless and kind-hearted enough to stop it for them. No one is going to magically make all my midterms go away, and no one is going to make my family stop destroying itself. I cannot say "OH BRB I'M GONNA GO BE A FRAGGLE FOR A FEW DAYS" or do anything else except put my head down and keep plugging forward.

What do you guys do when everything hits the fan? What do you do when you're just tired?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What do you guys do when everything hits the fan? What do you do when you're just tired?
I talk to friends who don't mind my venting once and awhile, heh. And if I can't actually be a Fraggle, I do the next best thing and pop in a DVD, usually one I haven't seen in awhile so it's something fresh and distracting. But bottom line, don't let other people's problems interfere with your ability to finish your midterms. It's your future and you have to look after yourself as well. :smile:

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
There comes a point when you've just had enough. In the past year, I've had to deal with fear over my uncertain future, fear over my the dissolution of my family, and fear over the reactions of others' to my bisexuality. That's a LOT to deal with, and I think I have done a fairly good job. I've kept it mostly together, fallen down a few times, but still managed to pick myself up. Yet everybody reaches a limit.

My parents are splitting up. My sister told me on the phone yesterday that she wished that her aunt and uncle were her biological parents and then she told my mother to "rot in h***" over the phone. My mother tossed my father out, but then had to take him back in temporarily because he simply had no place to go. I have four midterms next week. I have received pained phone calls from my mother and sister in the past 48 hours. I am exhausted, and yet I know the world is not going to stop for me and let me take a break. The world only stops for those who are surrounded by people hapless and kind-hearted enough to stop it for them. No one is going to magically make all my midterms go away, and no one is going to make my family stop destroying itself. I cannot say "OH BRB I'M GONNA GO BE A FRAGGLE FOR A FEW DAYS" or do anything else except put my head down and keep plugging forward.

I usually go to a place where I can't hear anything. My car seems to work really nice for this.
I'll admit that I don't have any idea what to do for the most part other than pray and avoid people as best I can. I know that that's impossible to do all the time but any time I get the chance I do. Reading helps too sometimes. I also tend to ask people for hugs, or I hug my stuffed Gonzo.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
My sister told me on the phone yesterday that she wished that her aunt and uncle were her biological parents and then she told my mother to "rot in h***" over the phone.
I got a speech like that ... from my father.

My mother tossed my father out, but then had to take him back in temporarily because he simply had no place to go.
Your mother is nicer than I am. With all the violence in my parents' marriage, he should be glad he made it out with all his body parts attached.

I have received pained phone calls from my mother and sister in the past 48 hours.
Unplug the landline or turn off the cell. Does WONDERS for controlling chaos. Your parents' issues are THEIR issues. They have no right to ruin your life over them.

I cannot say "OH BRB I'M GONNA GO BE A FRAGGLE FOR A FEW DAYS"
Of course not. You CAN tell those two little toddlers labeling themselves parents to go grow up. I did, and it was quite freeing.