Are the Buddies Ever Gonna be Put to Sleep?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
One of my friends gets completely mesmerized every time a Buddies commercial comes on TV. Enraptured. It disturbs me to no end.

But yes, they are really scraping the bottom of the barrel with these movies. Can't imagine what they'll pull off when they run out of ideas. "You loved Soccer Buddies...so you'll love Golf Buddies...and Croquet Buddies...and Backgammon Buddies!"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Shadow from Homeward Bound, and Fly from Babe good! Other ones....not as good.

I hate Babe, myself... if I wanna see a talking pig... well, that's a thought we don't need me to finish on a Muppet site :mad:. not very big on talking animal movies at all, unless said animals are anthropomorphic.

And now we got Treasure Buddies, which looks like a combination of Aladdin, the Duck Tales movie, and Ernest in the Army...
I'd say it's some sort of blastardization of Air Buddies and National Treasure and the POTC movies...

still, no need for it. I wish Disney's animation department would loosen up and make some more DTV animated movies with existing properties. Not so much those cheapquels, but rather movie length versions of classic Disney cartoon shows and some of those great 80's/90's shows. Who wouldn't want a nice Darkwing Duck anniversary movie? Too bad we didn't get one last year.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I wish Disney's animation department would loosen up and make some more DTV animated movies with existing properties. Not so much those cheapquels, but rather movie length versions of classic Disney cartoon shows and some of those great 80's/90's shows. Who wouldn't want a nice Darkwing Duck anniversary movie? Too bad we didn't get one last year.
I totally agree. At least there was that Three Musketeers movie with Mickey and the gang. I wonder if that's any good?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I totally agree. At least there was that Three Musketeers movie with Mickey and the gang. I wonder if that's any good?
Quite good. It was the product of some high ranking 1990's animation writers. At least, I remember Chris Otsuki (SP) wrote the lyrics for the songs. It's really what Mickey and Co SHOULD be doing instead of the Dora-esque ghetto of faux interactive slow talking kiddy faire. As much as I hate that show, though, I'm glad it means you can see Mickey and Donald in toy stores again. I don't think we'd ever have got that Ludwig VonDrake plush made if he wasn't part of that thing.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Already there's ANOTHER Buddies movie coming out, but I don't even remember what the frog it is, and frankly ozly I don't give a flyin' crap.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Quite good. It was the product of some high ranking 1990's animation writers. At least, I remember Chris Otsuki (SP) wrote the lyrics for the songs. It's really what Mickey and Co SHOULD be doing instead of the Dora-esque ghetto of faux interactive slow talking kiddy faire. As much as I hate that show, though, I'm glad it means you can see Mickey and Donald in toy stores again. I don't think we'd ever have got that Ludwig VonDrake plush made if he wasn't part of that thing.
Definently!
I love when the Beagle Boy slices Mickey's uniform and you see his usual outift! So funny!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Already there's ANOTHER Buddies movie coming out, but I don't even remember what the frog it is, and frankly ozly I don't give a flyin' crap.
They're coming close on Land Before Time's insipid record of ENDLESS cheapquels. Of course, there's a difference. The endless LBT sequels tarnished the reputation of a great Don Bluth film from the 80's...The Buddy Dogs basically "tarnish" the reputation of a movie that was, let's face it, kinda dumb in the first place.

I still wonder why it took them THAT long to make a LBT cartoon series. They coulda just did that in the first place like they did with An American Tale.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
They're coming close on Land Before Time's insipid record of ENDLESS cheapquels. Of course, there's a difference. The endless LBT sequels tarnished the reputation of a great Don Bluth film from the 80's...The Buddy Dogs basically "tarnish" the reputation of a movie that was, let's face it, kinda dumb in the first place.

I still wonder why it took them THAT long to make a LBT cartoon series. They coulda just did that in the first place like they did with An American Tale.
They made AN American Tale tv series?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They made AN American Tale tv series?
Yes, a short-lived one after Fievel Goes West... I saw a few clips from it on YouTube, nothing really impressive... and they made Chula sound like Krusty the Klown for some reason. I'm sure they couldn't afford Jon Lovitz to reprise that role (but let's face it, Jon Lovitz is one of the greats of our times), but still...