Slackbot draws stuff

Slackbot

Reaction score
We've seen Fraggles as humans and Fraggles and Gargoyles and Little Ponies. I had my own notion with regards to species-swapping...

BoobUr the Keeper of Laundry Lore: Yep. Boober as an UrRu mystic from The Dark Crystal. If people can draw Skekses (is that how you pluralize it?) as bishounen, I can draw one as a Fraggle. The corresponding Skeksis would be, of course, the court jester and resident troublemaking goofball, SkekBottom.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Scrolls through what I've missed since Monday.

Yep, Fraggles as gargoyles, check GoldDemona's awesome Gargoyles fic with plenty of crossover cartoon characters.
BoobUr? Me thinks I predict a lot of silly laughter over that name, at least how its spelled.
Skeksis is the singular, I'd think the pluralization would be more like "Skekzes (pronounced as skek-zees)" but I could be wrong, it happens.

Lapeuta is a good movie, I have it as fourth among the Miyuzaki movies I've seen, haven't gone to either Ponyo or Arrieti. Then again, there are some Pixar movies I'm also missing, will catch Toy Story 3 when it airs on ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas this year.

Thanks for another good entry Kim. :excited:

Slackbot

Reaction score
BoobUr does sound, er, strange, but is it any worse than Boober? Poor guy, he must have been cringing under a rock when the good names were handed out.

Ponyo is a good movie, but not Miyazaki's best. I'd call it a Japanese take on The Little Mermaid. Not the Disney film, but the original folk tale. It's well worth seeing at least once. My favorite Miyazaki film, far and away, is Princess Mononoke. I truly love how there are no real villains; everyone has their own point of view, and from where they are standing they are in the right. And that film is just so flippin' beautiful.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh... Princess Mononoke is the one I have at the bottom of my likes list. It was an okay film, I just remember watching it on Cartoon Network that one March where they aired four Miyuzaki films on consecutive weeks, Mononoke second, and I kind of felt somewhat lost storywise.
Spirited Away is the one I have at the top, it was the first, and you tend to always associate specialty with "firsts".
Howl's Moving Castle would be second, looking back on it I can appreciate similarities between Howl and Jareth—thanks in part to RedPiggy's fandom cross-universe.
Nazica (SP?) would be third. That one evoked memories of Jana of the Jungle and Ángel, a Spanish-language animated series about a girl searching the world for the flower of seven petals and scents, each petal and scent of each of the seven colors of the rainbow.
Lapeuta comes in fourth... And Kiki's Delivery Service is fifth, I thought the second half suffered when Phil Hartman no longer voiced her cat familiar.

Just my 2¢. :crazy:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Mononoke is not a film I'd recommend watching on TV, with loud commercial breaks splitting it up and, all too likely, chunks of footage chopped out for time. It does take a bit of concentration, and there are subtleties that are lost if every ten minutes you're hearing ads for Cartoon Network's latest non-cartoon shows.

I saw it in a theater, and when my friends kept wisecracking I just got up and moved away from them. That's something I've never done before or since, but I wanted to give it my complete attention. (Afterward, another of my friends said "I want to apologize for the behavior of everyone who isn't me." Apparently she was exasperated too.)

Spirited away was quite good too. I love films (manga, anime, video games) based on Japanese folklore. I know a fair bit of it, but I know there's so much more that I'm missing.

I haven't seen Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Nausicaa, or--well, lots of his films. Got lots of happy DVD-hunting ahead of me. :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I do the same thing too trying to keep my voice level low... But I'm a fan first and I jot down points given or taken away while watching in the cinema like when my friend and I went to watch Deathly Hallows PT2 and The Muppets. Guess I could blame MST3K for that, and the fact I have a tendency of repeating to myself TV/film/audiobook dialogue as I'm following the overall story narration.
The one and only film another friend and I actually did heckle MST3K-style when watching it in the moviehouse was The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. The one crack I remember from that long-ago time was when Gandalf enters Arwin's dad's chambers seeking an audience to ask his help for the campaign... Gandalf: Your Majesty. Me: Whaddup?
I did try to control myself when going to a film studies course as an auditor during my undergrad years, apologizing to the teacher after the first movie. My voice can get loud if I don't monitor myself.

Got a lot of Muppet DVD's yet to watch and my Muppet library in need of rebuilding through deals with fellow tape traders. Happy haunting. Have fun schtorming the moving castle!

Slackbot

Reaction score

Boober's Spiritual Dilemma: A quick sharpie drawing based on the idea that Boober's alter ego Sidebottom may seem to be a little devil, but he's actually trying to help Boober by pulling him out of his no-fun rut.

Y'know whats more of a pain in the neck than mini-mes ganging up on you? Shading with a mouse. I don't have access to a tablet, and as I'm sure I've said before, Photoshopping with a mouse is like painting with a bar of soap. And don't get me started on fur textures. My arm's gonna hurt for hours.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
And Boober's head is going to hurt for hours as well. I imagine that he's frantically scrubbing a sock or something while he's being pestered.