Any Bronies on here?

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I know I've made a number of wisecracks about Bronies and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic on here before but I think it's time to come forward and really say it since there hasn't been a thread to do so, but yes, I am in fact, a Brony.

I am a very new addition to the herd, I only started really watching this show a month and a half ago, but I'm loving what I've seen. I tried to watch it over last summer since it was after Fraggle Rock reruns on The Hub but just couldn't get into it. Back in January, a friend of mine encouraged me to watch it so I watched half an episode and I was hooked.

I don't care what people say, this show is great. In a world where television animation is basically obnoxious SpongeBob... then a lot of 0 effort CG tripe, it's so great to see a cartoon that isn't afraid to be as creative, funny and entertaining as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Now, seriously, I can't be the only Brony on here. :shifty:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Dan Vs needs more love. I honestly do not see what is so great and wonderful about about MLP. Maybe someone can explain it to me. I dont want to hear the typical "its just a great show! watch it!" I have watched it. I do not think its a bad show, but I am failing to see what is so special about it:confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The internet meme of the show is based basically on the fact that it's weird that guys watch it. That explains that...

but I have yet to see that series. I'm totally loving Wow Wow Wubbzy, in the way that it's a preschool series and I'm strangely a savant for kiddy shows for some reason.

Now, I do like the story behind the Pony series, Laura Faust (the wife of PPG creator Craig McCracken, and the head writer of Foster's Home for Imaginary friends) was ticked off at the quality of girls' shows. Now, considering I'm a fan of both PPG and FHFIF, I'm willing to give it a shot.

That said, I had some Ponies when I was a toddler...

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Dan Vs needs more love. I honestly do not see what is so great and wonderful about about MLP. Maybe someone can explain it to me. I dont want to hear the typical "its just a great show! watch it!" I have watched it. I do not think its a bad show, but I am failing to see what is so special about it:confused:
For me personally, I really just like the style the show executes itself in. I've never seen any of the other animated MLP incarnations except some vague recollections of a cartoon on the Disney Channel so I have nothing to really compare it to. I just like the brand of humor it uses in an average episode. That's mostly what I like about it, that we have this cartoon about talking ponies that should be for little girls but here it is being legitimately funny. Of course, what's funny for me may not be funny for, say, you, so this show is really up to the viewer.

Dan Vs. I've been meaning to watch, it seems like the creators really enjoy working with these characters in animation and from what I've heard, it shows in the work. I'll try to check when it's on and I'll get back to you on my thoughts. :smile:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Thank you for giving me a logical reason behind liking it. Whenever I ask someone what it is that makes it so great, I usually hear "because it just is" :/

Drtooth

Reaction score
For me personally, I really just like the style the show executes itself in. I've never seen any of the other animated MLP incarnations except some vague recollections of a cartoon on the Disney Channel so I have nothing to really compare it to. I just like the brand of humor it uses in an average episode. That's mostly what I like about it, that we have this cartoon about talking ponies that should be for little girls but here it is being legitimately funny. Of course, what's funny for me may not be funny for, say, you, so this show is really up to the viewer.
I'm a guy, so when I say this, it's going to sound strange... but let's face it. Girls have some pretty rubbish shows. I mean, at worst you get something as terrible as Bratz, which should NEVER have been a cartoon series EVER. Terrible role models, that show. I recently, as one of my YT friends posted it, a Rainbow Bright cartoon. Every character was flaccid and pointless and dreadfully dull except for the bad guy, who REALLY should have had his own cartoon series. Then there was a cartoon so bad I YTP's it... Maxie's World. A cheap knockoff of Barbie with zero personality and plasticly preachy about anorexia. And it was written by a GUY! The same guy who would write the Mama Luigi episode of SMW.

To make matters worse, we have to add positive female role models into boys cartoons. That isn't terrible when it's organic, say Teen Titans or any incarnation of X-Men or something. But least we forget Venus the fifth turtle who had no personality, and seemed perfectly token? How come the female role models in boys cartoons are infinitely stronger than half the vapid stars of female programming? That's why I hold Pepper Ann in such high regard. That's the BEST girl's cartoon out there.

So I'm guessing Ponies is a refreshingly humorous program in a sea of gender biased mediocrity.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
How come the female role models in boys cartoons are infinitely stronger than half the vapid stars of female programming?
That's always the way. Take an oppressed minority and make them ten times better than the group to make up for past prejudices. And it's almost always a bad idea because audiences just end up resenting that character for being too perfect.

As far as My Little Ponies, I did watch it all the time growing up. I had several of the toys which my dog later destroyed, lol. Overall my memories of MLP was the ponies could be very catty and often reminded me of the nasty girls in grammar school, lol.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I've never watched MLP, but Sgt. Floyd, I've only seen a handful of episodes of Dan Vs., but they've really impressed me. It reminds me a lot of Regular Show in that they are both cartoons for an older audience that don't rely on either gross-out/dirty humor or just an endless series of pop culture jokes, they actually have a thought-out plot and characters.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
it kinda irritates me that everyone is all "PONIEEESSSS!!!" and yet people cry and whine about how there aren't any good cartoons, yet Dan Vs compares to a lot of shows from the 90s and manages to be funny without pointless gross out humor. It makes me scratch my head as to why there aren't more fans. But this thread is about ponies and not my bitterness that Dan Vs isn't more popular :big_grin:

But yeah, I agree that MLP is one of the few decent shows for girls and one of the best children's shows period.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I haven't seen much of "Dan Vs.", but I wouldn't mind seeing more; it's not On Demand very often. It's a pretty fine show, but I do recall not liking some of the jokes in the Burgerphile episode (basically the running gag of the manager getting sent back somewhere, I don't recall where, but it was like Maine or Boston or something).