Speculation: Potential Sequel for "The Muppets"

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
too comically ridiculous for adults, plus there's songs in it, which makes it more ridiculous because I thought it was supposed to be a scary/exciting movie.
I never felt it was scary or even supposed to be particularly. I just find the characters very endearing and enjoy the story about growing up but not letting go of childhood fantasies.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Labyrinth did have an issue finding a theatrical audience. I always thought it could have used more of a sense of jeopardy. I wish they could have maintained the scariness of the first ten minutes, but that doesn't seem to be the film Jim wanted to make. Still, a very enjoyable movie. I loved the music and Bowie. In fact, with all of the movies being turned into musicals, why haven't they tried to do Labyrinth? There's an opportunity to rework it, and probably with Bowie, to be something really great. Imagine what the Henson Company could do with the sets and stage puppetry!

beaker

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking when I watched the movie, (which I didn't enjoy at all)
Who is Labyrinth supposed to be aiming at? It's too scary for little kids and too comically ridiculous for adults, plus there's songs in it, which makes it more ridiculous because I thought it was supposed to be a scary/exciting movie.
Well I can tell you who the movie is for i the modern era: goth chicks and nerds:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well I can tell you who the movie is for i the modern era: goth chicks and nerds:smile:
Yeah. It strangely got that cult following all the sudden. I bet those meh Tokyo Pop ginzu mangas did the trick. I'm seeing a LOT of teenagers getting into Labyrinth all the sudden.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I seem to remember Dave Goelz saying he didn't like that aspect of GMC, but I thought it was pure genius. Start out the movie with Kermit saying, "In this movie, we're playing..." and you can go anywhere from there. But I agree with the sentiment that it shouldn't be a period piece. GMC was a nod to the caper movies of the past, but took place in the [then] present. There are lots of genres to be explored - disaster films, buddy/cop comedies, rom-coms, supernatural thrillers, etc. As long as they go for a style tribute and not a straight parody there are lots of ways for this to go.
I'm surprised to hear that Dave Goelz would react that way - I think it was "pure genius" too and it remains a big part of why GMC is still one of my favourite movies (Muppet or otherwise). It allowed the Muppets to be themselves while still introducing some new character dynamics, and I think that approach could work beautifully in the next Muppet movie.

I like the idea of a genre parody that doesn't hamstring the characters into abandoning the characteristics that have earned them such worldwide affection and admiration. Through all the movies, TMS, the virals and even Muppets Tonight, the team has consistently proven they can zing just about any entertainment style without the parodied genre swallowing them whole.

I'd even entertain a Muppet western, but a part of me wonders if that could draw some unwelcome Rango comparisons (especially since the voice Johnny Depp gave to that character made him seem like a distant cousin to Kermit). Nothing wrong with Rango - I really enjoyed it and was glad it snapped up the Best Animated Feature Academy Award - I'd just like to see something else, that's all.

zoebell

Reaction score
i would also prefer it if they weren't placed into a type of plot that requires them to not know each other

it's better (imo) when they are truly themselves as much as possible, and a group and all

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd even entertain a Muppet western, but a part of me wonders if that could draw some unwelcome Rango comparisons (especially since the voice Johnny Depp gave to that character made him seem like a distant cousin to Kermit). Nothing wrong with Rango - I really enjoyed it and was glad it snapped up the Best Animated Feature Academy Award - I'd just like to see something else, that's all.
I'd tend to think Rango would be a reason why NOT to make this a western for the same reason. But only one person said Western, and it was just a hypothetical guess. I just want that to be perfectly clear if someone's skimming these threads and spreads a rumor that the next film will be one.

Still, I swear that they (the writers of this last one) swore that there was one... I recall hearing Muppets Out West and Muppets Underwater for the motivations for making the movie we wound up with. Somehow, I wish that someone made Muppets go Medieval in the 90's, and got Phil Hartman to play Troy McClure... that woulda been funny, I guess.

Cal

Reaction score
So.... am I the only one who would like the tone of the latest movie retained still? I mean, I would like this potential follow up to have smaller, more independent scenes akin to that office extra posted before - which the new movie lacked - but I wouldn't want to see the glossy, colourful, wham-bam-thank-you-man tongue in cheek fantasy tone (...I guess that's the best way to describe it) of the latest one scrapped. I'd wager a balance of both is required. I think the only movie that was successful with pulling off just the independent film spirit was the Muppet Movie, and even that had its glossier, fantasy moments - such as "Never Before, Never Again", the pie-in-the-face-but-instead-of-a-face-it's-a-car-gag, Gonzo flying on the balloons, Animal growing to super size, the Rainbow Connection finale... I really wouldn't want a film that takes the independent tone and makes it dull and almost lifeless, which I could see happening - I felt IAVMMCM did that already, to a large extent. I mean, I loved certain down-to-earth moments in that film - the opening with the a twist old "I sold my (something) collection to buy you something for your collection!" "but I sold my (something) collection to buy you something for your collection!" gag, Bunsen explaining how they could save money, the Muppets squabbling amongst each other when forced to take a pay cut... but the vast majority of that movie ended up conforming too much to such a tone and the whole project ended up feeling flat. It coulda done with some gloss to liven it up a bit... not counting the Christmas show part, which ended up feeling majorly surreal more than anything.
I think the Great Muppet Caper should be the ideal hopping off point in terms of tone and humour. Completely insane and off the wall, with some big, over the top musical numbers and a cavalcade of fourth wall jokes, but with some genuine, quieter moments and normal set pieces and situations, which bought the movie down to Earth when it needed to.
As for genre... well, possibilities are endless. Part of me wants to see an adventure/expedition film, ala Indiana Jones. Not too sure why, I just think the Muppets could rock that genre. Another one I'd like to see would be film noir, although that would have to be executed JUST right to make it work. It's a shame that a lot of kids (and adults, for that matter) would, most likely, be put off by black and white though.
Oh, and yeah, definitely no to a sequel. That story's been done, dusted. No more Gary, Mary, or Tex. I'd like to see Walter again though, given he's part of the Muppet Troupe now, although it seems a surprising number of people - not on this forum though - seem to not want him back to any extent.

Sorry if this post's gone on a large ramble on things not directly related with the potential upcoming movie - I do have a tendancy to go on long tangents. :embarrassed: But yeah, more to the point - a new Muppet movie, and being planned so soon after the last one - pretty bloody exciting, it has to be said! :big_grin: