The movie could have been even better (article)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah I mean I don't think anyone minds them finding their own path as long as it's not a complete 180 from Jim (or Walt's) vision, which I would argue it has been occasionally in the past.
I've seen both companies take bizarre detours after their creators passed, but nothing as extreme as a 180 degree turn. Well, at least not on the Henson/Muppet front. That's rather extreme and would definitely have caused an enormous outcry. However, many can argue that the inclusion of so many headlining minorities in Disney films is quite a departure from the projects Walt would have approved in his era. For whatever reason. I'm glad the times have changed!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
many can argue that the inclusion of so many headlining minorities in Disney films is quite a departure to the projects Walt would have approved in his era. For whatever reason.
That is one instance where it's good that they departed from Walt's vision, lol. It's a reflection on how much society has changed since the '30s.

I'm glad the times have changed!
Me too, lol. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I hadn't realized Sesame Street had been banned in Mississippi for several months in 1970 due to the integrated cast members and children. It's particularly shocking seeing that Jim Henson was from Mississippi. And all of this wasn't really that long ago! How far we've come and I think Sesame has helped. Let's hope all the Muppets continue to lead against modern prejudice by example.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I hadn't realized Sesame Street had been banned in Mississippi for several months in 1970 due to the integrated cast members and children.
I didn't know that either but I'm not that surprised. The only reason we have any integration on TV today is because a handful of pioneers in the '60s and '70s had the guts to stand their ground as opposed to bow down to the all mighty ratings system.

muppfozz

Reaction score
I was saddened when the Muppets did not get their theater back. It just showed another bad guy winning. evil is good ......The Muppets would have got lots of money on a telethon. There are plenty of people who care. I think it would have been better if they had raised the money and got the theater back and still stayed a happy family.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I was saddened when the Muppets did not get their theater back. It just showed another bad guy winning. evil is good ......The Muppets would have got lots of money on a telethon. There are plenty of people who care. I think it would have been better if they had raised the money and got the theater back and still stayed a happy family.
Technically, they did get the theater back, during the credits.

And did you pay attention during Kermit's final speech? They didn't need the theater to be a family. They needed each other and that was enough.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Technically, they did get the theater back, during the credits.
That kind of pacing was the only problem I had with the film. I kinda wish they did that sequence before the credits and THEN had Gary propose... better pacing is the only thing that really could have improved this movie. Of course, then it probably would be 2 hours... that's a luxury they only give to Harry Potter and superhero films.

muppfozz

Reaction score
Speech ? That theater is part of who they are. As for the getting the theater back during the credits............The place where I saw the movie .......I had to look around people who where leaving...... They just jump up and fly to see who can get out the door the fastest. Lots of times we are the only ones left in the place when the credits are still rolling........ I thought that speech was kinda of corny. I just thought of something.....We are soooooo into the Muppets and lets just turn on the news for today........ Muppets take me away .

muppfozz

Reaction score
Would it be great of there really was a talking frog and pig...... Gonzo where are you....

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I think a lot of movies out there get the crap edited out of them for various reasons and some films end up suffering in the end because of it. The Muppets is no exception. I liked this movie a lot more than I expected, to, but I was not wowed and amazed by it like a lot of the fans were. Maybe I'm kind of jaded, maybe I'm more critical, I don't know. Maybe it was overhyped and I was expecting something more, I could never put my finger on it.
Perhaps seeing the edited scenes would make a lot more sense and make it a more cohesive film. I still would've liked to have seen what Frank Oz would've done with it, personally.