The Chipmunks

Drtooth

Reaction score
Everytime you say "DTV", it confuses me, because when I was growing up, "DTV" was Disney's answer to MTV (retrospective clipshows set to pop songs, making them seem like music videos).
Direct To Video.

Oh, by the way... I didn't buy it (had no idea how much it was, and it was in terrible, coverless condition anyway)... but I found an old 1960's Chipmunks comic book at a comic book store. had Clyde Crashcup on it. I'd probably buy it if I knew the price, but it looked like it would crumble to dust once I got it home, before I even read it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Cover art... and STILL no episode listing

Check out Brittney's anachronistic iPhone!
We STILL have no list of episodes for this release, however, it would seem according to some product reviews of those who pre-ordered it, it's just another standard re-packaging of already previously released episodes (probably that pitiful excuse for a "best of" set that was released three years ago).

Bagdasarian Productions sure are off to a wonderful in releasing new DVDs themselves aren't they? *Sarcasm*

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure they'd add one episode that hasn't been released on DVD yet... you know... their consistent attempts to tick the heck out of older Chipmunks fans?

I REALLY hate this backwards jump in DVD releases of cartoons. It's like only a couple years since everyone was giving us DVD box sets at reasonable prices. Sure... a LOT of them went unfinished, but we got more than 5 episodes for 15 bucks. Now it's like "Um... DERP! Recession?" and they're releasing a soon to be dead format like it's 1999-2001 again. I guess they can't help Chipmunks DVD's being incomplete, due to all the music rights... but I ask this just once more... WHERE the heck is The Alvin Show?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
*In response to someone mentioning Fly Me to the Moon in the Lorax thread*

See, there's the reason right there why a fourth Chipmunk movie where they go into space shouldn't happen, because Fly Me to the Moon pretty much already covered it... I mean really, you got the ring-leader who acts on impulses, the nerdy bespectacled brains of the outfit, and the little chubster who loves to eat (and farts all the time)... and it's a space movie, so it's already covered. If I know most other AATC fans, and I do, the only thing they would probably want to see out of this movie is, I don't know, Simon and Jeanette having a moonlight picnic or something... because I mean, that's like one of the main reasons people went and saw Chipwrecked anyway to see if they made up for lack of Simon and Jeanette fluff in the Squeakquel. I mean people pretty much figured out the plot was pretty much a randomly chosen recycled storyline from the cartoon, and this entry was originally just a gimmick and an excuse to release a Chipmunk movie in 3D (which they changed their minds about for some reason), but in spite of all that, most people went and saw it anyway in this exact mindframe, as almost quoted word-for-word by the constantly refered to but never seen She-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named: "There BETTER be some Simanette fluff in this movie, or I'm gonna be really disappointed!"

I mean, you do have to admit, somehow Simon and Jeanette are the more popular ones out of the whole group, there's even been some kind of survey done within the last year or so that showed Jeanette was the most popular Chipette (which lead to that satircal sketch I did on deviantART back in the summer, which lead to that controversy my arch nemesis started when she was arson around), so I guess if Ross and Janice want these movies to be even moderately successful, they better keep adding a bunch of lovey-dovey scenes with Simon and Jeanette so most people will be happy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
By the way... The Chipettes DVD has been released... like I said, ONE episode they never released before is on it. They're doing it deliberately. :wink:

See, there's the reason right there why a fourth Chipmunk movie where they go into space shouldn't happen, because Fly Me to the Moon pretty much already covered it... I mean really, you got the ring-leader who acts on impulses, the nerdy bespectacled brains of the outfit, and the little chubster who loves to eat (and farts all the time)... and it's a space movie, so it's already covered.
Didn't they cover it in the cartoon series, only they didn't really go into the moon and got stuck in a space simulator and thought that they were? Come to think of it, Chipwrecked was already covered in the cartoon as well.

I purposely skipped out on Chipwrecked, and I don't think I want to see any more movies. I liked the first, the second was half decent, half terrible... I'm not touching the others.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
By the way... The Chipettes DVD has been released... like I said, ONE episode they never released before is on it. They're doing it deliberately. :wink:
Yeah I know, it's the same story with the re-release of the Valentine DVD containing the infamous "holy grail" "Sploosh" episode, of which someone sent me the mp4 or, even though the quality is poor, it's watchable and free and I don't have to waste another $15 or so to re-buy episodes I already have just for it. Likewise with the Driving Dave Crazy, I have the previously unreleased "The Incredible Shrinking Dave" downloaded, so I can watch that without having to re-buy episodes I already have.
Didn't they cover it in the cartoon series, only they didn't really go into the moon and got stuck in a space simulator and thought that they were? Come to think of it, Chipwrecked was already covered in the cartoon as well.
The only thing that's coming to my mind at the moment is the Star Trek parody, but you're right, one of those early episodes had Alvin and Simon dressing Theodore as an alien to cash in on the popularity of E.T., only to have Theodore kidnapped and sent to NASA where a wild goose chase ensues, eventually into the simulator.
I purposely skipped out on Chipwrecked, and I don't think I want to see any more movies. I liked the first, the second was half decent, half terrible... I'm not touching the others.
I still haven't seen the Squeakquel, but I've only heard mixed reviews about it, most of the complaints are in regards to Loser Nephew Toby and his Mary Sue girlfriend (surprisingly SOME thought he was actually a genuinely funny character), lack of Simon and Jeanette fluff, and Brittany not being her ususal sassy and bratty self. The latter of which I really don't have that much issue with considering I had tried to write her with more heart in my old fanfics years ago, and did get some praise in doing so, so yeah.

As for the cartoon episode, there's so many great moments that always come to my mind: Brittany practically packing her entire part of the bedroom (and saying, "It's a good thing I packed light!", the whole snafu over the publicity photos, and some fun quotes like...

JEANETTE: Shouldn't Alvin be helping us?
SIMON: Hey can't, he's too busy panicking.

BRITTANY: Alvin, be careful, I have some of my favorite things in there!
ALVIN: Like what?
ELEANOR: Like everything she didn't pack in there...

BRITTANY: Beautiful women like me are the first things monsters go after!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still haven't seen the Squeakquel, but I've only heard mixed reviews about it, most of the complaints are in regards to Loser Nephew Toby and his Mary Sue girlfriend (surprisingly SOME thought he was actually a genuinely funny character), lack of Simon and Jeanette fluff, and Brittany not being her ususal sassy and bratty self. The latter of which I really don't have that much issue with considering I had tried to write her with more heart in my old fanfics years ago, and did get some praise in doing so, so yeah.
The story about The Chippettes and the Chimpunks going to school worked. Even the revenge plot of Uncle Harry Ian were good, and I have a problem with revenge stories. But everything else in that movie just didn't work. I don't even see why we needed a human love story in the film, since the 'Munks and 'Ettes had that thing sewn up. I really wish they used Dave's absence in most of the movie to introduce Miss Miller instead of a loser nephew who farts and does clumsy crap to get a girl to like him... like a bland generic chick flick. HATED the Nascar mascot's "this movie is produced by Fox, and we want to promote Fox shows" appearance... also hated the completely commercial tie in for Meerkat Manor. And the obvious movie quotes that really weren't in the first movie (at least to such a degree). But other than that it was okay... the first one at least had that backhand at the music industry in the plot.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the third movie lost a lot of potential for being a gimmick film. To me, an ideal third film would have been something like this...

Chipmunks 3: Alvin's World Tour.

Dave, and the record label have put together a huge concert tour around the world, which inflates Alvin's ego, only to be deflated when the first country they go to hasn't even heard of them, and only American Tourists and fans are in the audience (Mimicking a scene from Maids in Japan). Alvin is so upset by this, he questions why they left Ian for Dave, also bringing up that they live very modestly for celebrities, and complaining that Dave puts all the money they make into trust funds they can't touch until they're older. Theodore points out that Dave cares about them (going as far to say that trust funds are for if they ever get sick of being in a band and want to do other things with their lives), Simon pointing out "You do remember he put us in a cage, right?" (and then subsequently bringing up the word "cage" everytime Alvin complains)...

After a small fight, Alvin decides they should hire a better public relations/press agent (Dave doing it himself beforehand), Dave doesn't like the idea at all, Alvin goes behind his back and hires one. The group's publicity shoots through the roof, and every other concert tour is packed with foreign fans. Meanwhile, the Chipettes are sick of opening for the Chipmunks and living in their shadow, and Brittney hires the very same press agent behind the backs of Dave and Alvin (actually, not knowing it is the same agent) to make them just as famous, if not more than their male counterparts. You see the press agent struggling to hide each group's involvement that culminates in a cliche sitcomish scenario where they have meetings scheduled at the same time.

Of course, the big reveal is that the press agent is actually working for Ian, who's desperate to steal their likenesses and music rights, and has hired him to steal important documents and forge signatures. When this is discovered by Simon and Jeanette (both being the smart ones), Alvin and Brittney refuse to believe it's true, get into a fight for hiring the same agent, and then stumble onto evendence that it was true the entire time.

At the end of the film, Dave steps in and saves the day, showing the press agent that Ian was going to screw him out of the deal anyway and not even paying him for his services. Dave hires him willingly, causing the press agent to destroy the forged documents that would have let Ian have control of both groups. The last concert in the tour is a smash success, the Chipettes prove they're valuable on their own, and everyone's happy. Except for Alvin who keeps pestering Dave to take money out of his trust fund to buy foolish things.

At least, that's how I'D write a Chipmunk movie.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Now THAT I would see! :cool:

I mean the situations you mentioned and everything sound more true to the original cartoon, without necessarily recycling plots they already used.

Speaking of Ian/Harry, I'm really disappointed that the greatest Chipmunk fan artist there is has actually gotten involved with my arch nemesis at dA, and is illustrating fanfics that either she wrote herself, or endorses, such as this story involving Uncle Harry going straight, and taking in a Chipette who's a "lady of the evening" and starts fooling around with Dave (who's actually fooling around with Vinny).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now THAT I would see! :cool:

I mean the situations you mentioned and everything sound more true to the original cartoon, without necessarily recycling plots they already used.
The first movie, and I say this a LOT, was a sly stab at the music industry. Not even a subtle one. A big fat slap in the face, basically saying that new musical talent are basically slaves that record producers toss meaningless amounts of toys and gadgets (that come directly out of whatever earnings the band would make) to give them the illusion that they're big stars and making money for themselves.

In all versions of the Chipmunks, they're these supposed big stars, yet they live insanely modest means. The only assumption is that Dave puts all their money into trust funds because he knows they won't be able to sell records when they hit puberty and their voices lower to sound like a 5 year old girl's. Logically, all those episodes where Alvin needs money to buy a bicycle or something... all he has to do is autograph a couple 8 by 10's and sell them. Heck, he could cut a single and afford a fleet of bikes. Every cartoon since the Alvin Show. Big celebrities that beg for a forward in their allowance to buy toys and kitchen utensils. Dave clearly wants them to be humble, and doesn't allow their celebrity to spoil them. By All means Alvin should be much MUCH more a spoiled egotistical brat than he is. I mean, punching out classmates that take his picture egotistical.

I really would love to see them address that. They barely do in the first movie, where Ian keeps giving them toys with the promise of more if they sign over their souls to them. That seems like a great source of untapped tension in the Munk catalog, but instead, they go for something that appeals to 4 year olds.