Painful Classic Moments

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I love the long, tranquil segments with the soft/lullaby or classical music (Hey Cow, Fireman, Vivaldi's crying flower, 2 dolls in a little doll house, Washing film with Bach's "Gavotte", etc)
Same here, I am definitely a "Hey Cow" supporter lol. A lot of these films are just so lovely and well crafted. But of course, not everyone has to like them. :smile:

However, I am also a little surprised that they tested well, considering children's short attention spans. But perhaps the creators thought these slower films would serve to calm down kids after all the loud, excitable Muppet stuff.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Near and far ( makes me feel like i'm a dumb piece of crud who doesn't know a thing about near and far).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I also didn't like the loud sound effects on the Newsflash about Hickory Dickory Dock, when the Hourse smashed the clock.
Sesame Street did use a lot of loud, almost realistic sound effects (some would argue too real!). They were often very creepy and disturbing lol. But SS did have its own unique flavor. And now I enjoy them for nostalgic purposes. :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
We have this thread in Fraggle Rock and Classic muppets, so I thought I'd put it here. Now I stress the word classic as it pretains to classic Sesame Street, and nothing from the 90's on, since that would be too easy. We'd probably have everyone just write "Elmo's World" over and over. So this is for just those classic pre90's moments....

I think the Larry and Phylis segment from the second or third season was hard to watch. I've only seen the one on the Old School set. And it was annoying. How they can't sing and Larry could only groan and Phylis could only Beep. That was tough to watch.

Really? I found that L & P skit to be strangely amusing!:zany: I couldn't stop laughing.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I'm crushed

"Hey Cow" is one of my all-time favorite SS films, and truthfully I loved "The Fireman" as well. Oh well, I still respect he opinions of everyone.
By the way, RED SOX...A.L. EAST CHAMPS!

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I certainly don't count it as classic (I'm breaking my OWN rule! :eek: ) I really thought the Sesame Road version of "I'm the Big one now" was painful to listen to... maybe that's cuz they replaced Jerry Nelson's vocals...

Soul H

Reaction score
Well I would say the most painful for me was Ol' Smokey singing "U Really Got A Hold On Me". But not no more.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I just wanna bump up this thread with two classic skits I don't particularly care for:

-The sketch where Grover asks Kermit how he can get warm. The ending is so bad; Kermit has been nothing but helpful in the sketch and doesn't even lose his cool at Grover and yet ends up with the short end of the stick.

-The "Family Food" sketch. When I watched it on the Spoofs DVD, the only thing that many me chuckle was the chef's snooty way of leaving the frame, but other than that, it's way too long and not very funny. If the family was replaced with Cookie Monster getting impatient and wanting the food, then there would've been some great material. Otherwise, it's just a dud.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
-The sketch where Grover asks Kermit how he can get warm. The ending is so bad; Kermit has been nothing but helpful in the sketch and doesn't even lose his cool at Grover and yet ends up with the short end of the stick.
I sort of agree. I like the segment alright, but the ending is a bit hard for me to watch. I also feel the same way about the sketch where Bert gets locked out and Ernie thinks he's just practicing knocking.

Drtooth

Reaction score
-The "Family Food" sketch. When I watched it on the Spoofs DVD, the only thing that many me chuckle was the chef's snooty way of leaving the frame, but other than that, it's way too long and not very funny. If the family was replaced with Cookie Monster getting impatient and wanting the food, then there would've been some great material. Otherwise, it's just a dud.
It's a rare gem, sure... but there's a reason it's rare. It goes on much longer than most Muppet segments, it's too straight forward to even be considered a spoof, and the family isn't even funny. It's not a Guy Smiley game show, that's for sure.