How rare is a Super 8 version of TMM?

SeanC

Reaction score
The Super 8 version is only 18 mins long?
Super 8 films were generally chopped down from the full length versions. It was a home film format in the pre-VCR days, and for a long time would have been the only way to 'own' a film ( or at least a portion of it ) without having a copy of the actual 35mm prints. They could be played on the same projector that you watched your home movies on. Lots of films were available in this format, although by the time of 'The Muppet Movie' in 1979, Super 8 was pretty much a dying breed. VHS and Camcorders just about killed it off, although I'm sure there's still enthusiasts out there. Little history of the format:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_8_mm_film

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I just had the opportunity to see a print of the Super 8 version of the Muppet Movie. It's rather interesting as, in addition to deleted scenes from the UK VHS release, it also includes several alternate takes. Quite a few scenes that had background music in the finished film are shown with no music. What's also interesting is that all of the celebrity cameos are included (with the acception of Big Bird). Doc Hopper and Max only have one scene (!). It's the scene where they get pie cream all over their car and accidentally shoot Gonzo's balloons out of the sky, with Doc saying "No frog's gonna make a monkey out of me!". In addition, all of Sweetums' scenes are gone, save for one brief shot at Mad Man Mooney's.

The Swedish Chef's line "Flim is rolling" is added after Kermit says "roll film!". This was a nice way to get the Chef into this cut-down, as the "intermission" sequence isn't included. Dr. Teeth's line "I hear this movie is dynamite!", along with Crazy Harry's response are shown at the end of the film. In addition, the opening title is taken directly from the theatrical trailer, rather than the film itself.

In short, the Super 8 print doesn't always make a whole lot of sense, but it is a nice little oddity.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Looking at the Super 8 print again, I noticed that not only is Big Bird's cameo cut, but so is Cloris Leachman's cameo. Otherwise, all of the cameos are included.

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
Thanks for your review Mo Frackle!
I also now have a copy of this (on DVD).