The New York Pops play The Muppets at Carnegie Hall April 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Aww.. man, this thing sounds really cool.
I really wanna see this but I won't be able to get to NY for it.
Enjoy, everyone!

cahuenga

Reaction score
Aren't Jerry or Frank going to the Carnegie Hall? I hope they will, and I want to see pics!

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Great photo! I'll be at the 3:30 concert on Saturday. Sounds like it's going to be an amazing event!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a great preview article on "Jim Henson's Musical World" from The New York Times...

‘JIM HENSON’S MUSICAL WORLD’

Concert programs rarely get the advance secrecy accorded to Pentagon reports and Super Bowl playbooks. But elements of the events to be presented on Saturday by the New York Pops aren’t just classical, but classified.

“I’ve been given very specific instructions about what can be announced ahead of time and what can’t,” said Steven Reineke, the Pops music director.

One thing’s certain: “Jim Henson’s Musical World,” to be performed twice, will feature melodies and Muppets. It will also differ from other family concerts by the Weill Music Institute at Carnegie Hall.

“It’s a real show,” Mr. Reineke said. “I have to learn lines, which is unusual for a conductor. There’s a story as well.”

A story? Yes, it’s mostly classified, but it will have much in common with the work of Henson (1936-90), right, the designer, puppeteer and filmmaker who created the Muppets. Written by Craig Shemin, president of the Jim Henson Legacy, an organization perpetuating Henson’s work, “it has to do with sort of bringing out the best in people,” Mr. Reineke said.

A few details: After an overture and a video montage he will introduce the actor, writer and puppeteer John Tartaglia, who first approached the Pops about a Henson tribute. But Mr. Tartaglia, the scheduled host, fails to appear. After Mr. Reineke calls him (Carnegie Hall will forgive the cellphone use), Mr. Tartaglia will be seen on video in his rubber-duckie pajamas, completely unaware that the concert is on Saturday. He’s not alone.

“It becomes this running gag,” Mr. Reineke said. Fozzie Bear is enlisted to help gather his fellow Muppets. Among those appearing are Gonzo, Kermit, Miss Piggy and the ornery Statler and Waldorf, who “just razz me throughout the show,” Mr. Reineke said. But he’s sworn to silence on performances by “Sesame Street” characters. Hints emerge from a few songs in a medley: “Rubber Duckie,” “C Is for Cookie” and “I Love Trash.”

Human guests are no secret. They’ll include the ensemble Essential Voices USA; the comedian Rachel Dratch; “Sesame Street” cast members present and past; and the singer-songwriter Paul Williams, whose “Rainbow Connection” (written with Kenneth Ascher) will be an audience singalong.

Despite the concert’s title, the 13 numbers won’t be Henson’s musical world, exactly, but worlds. “I don’t think anyone’s ever put ‘Sesame Street,’ the Muppets and ‘Fraggle Rock’ all on a stage together,” Mr. Reineke said. But of course they’ll harmonize.

(At 12:30 and 3:30 p.m., with preconcert activities an hour before; 212-247-7800, carnegiehall.org; $9 to $20; tickets are limited.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/13/arts/spare-times-for-children-for-april-13-19.html?_r=2

dwayne1115

Reaction score
This sounds so big that I'm shocked that this would not be on TV or DVD or something. It sounds too big to just let a limited audiacuse see this. When is the last time all of Henosn's works where put together.

Muppetfreak

Reaction score
I'll be at the noon show (sorry, I thought I replied to this weeks ago).

The official Henson twitter account just posted a pic of the Fraggles rehearsing:

While I too hope for a DVD or something, I thought for sure they'd do it for the Richard Hunt tribute in NJ a few years ago since they actually got Frank Oz there and they didn't so I just don't want people to get their hopes too up. Though, of course, my fingers are crossed that they will!

Edited to add: I just noticed that the forum lists me as a "new member" which makes me hugely sad as I've been registered since the old chat room days but I guess that's because of the new forum software.

Bobo's Girl

Reaction score
Anybody know what the preconcert activities are that are mentioned in the NY Times article?

Walter White

Reaction score
Longtime lurker who signed up to say I'll be there for the early show. This sounds like it will be an amazing show! The picture of the Fraggles has me so excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.