New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

anytimepally

Reaction score
first impressions...
1. Glad there's going to be another movie so soon.
2. Unhappy they are introducing new muppets. They didn't even use all of the old ones in the last film, and many of those had few lines.
3. Hopefully, without Jason Segel, this one will be more muppet-centric.
4. He probably won't, but they should take a shot at convincing Brian Henson to do Sal again, even if it's just one scene.
5. Did I mention I'm glad there's going to be another movie so soon?
6. There's a fly buzzing around in the kitchen that I have to go chase away:grouchy:

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
If this were a mystery, I'd LOVE to see Gonzo play an Inspector Zenigata type role...
Lol, "LUPIN!!!"
:big_grin:
Fantastic.

I also wanted to chime in that too many new Muppet characters wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I'm more than willing to see/hear what they have in mind before I decide for sure. :wink:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
A few have said they wouldn't want the next film to include the theater since it was in the last movie. But I associate the theater with The Muppet Show. Including the theater wouldn't make it a direct sequel to The Muppets or It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. Also, both movies that included the theater involved the Muppets having to save it. I'd like to see a movie that includes the theater, but the plot doesn't neccessarily involve the theater (like how the plot of Muppets from Space wasn't about the boarding house). And I don't want them to do another "save the theater" plot, at least not until we've had another seven movies.

But if the theater isn't included, I'd still like it to involve the Muppets putting on a show in some ways. Though I don't think I'd want them to be portrayed as big celebrities like in the last film (or in real life). But I also don't want it to be about them wanting to make it big in show business (like The Muppet Movie and Muppets Take Manhattan did). Maybe they could be actors who have had a bit of experience in the past, but haven't exactly made it (like a group of character actors).

Somebody pointed out that the Muppets already did the "guest star is evil" plot with Glenda Jackson and Heather Locklear. Now, I don't agree about the Heather Locklear episode, since she was under a spell that switched her from good to bad and she went back to normal at the end (and I haven't seen the Glenda Jackson episode so I don't know if that has a happy ending). But also, those two were real people, my idea of a guest star who ends up being a bad guy (whether he wants to use his celebrity status to take over the world, rob the Muppets, or some other motive), I was thinking a made-up celebrity as opposed to a real person (though they'd most likely have a celebrity play the "celebrity"... Though it would be funny if there was a new Muppet character who was meant to be the guest star).

I think Dr. Tooth said he'd like to see the Muppets as themselves in a different time period. I'm a little mixed on that, mainly because I'd like to see the Muppets in their regular clothes as opposed to period costumes. Not sure if that would take away from anything... But they also don't have dress like whatever decade it is. And technically, there have been movies taking place in the past (The Muppet Movie, Kermit's Swamp Years), even if the exact years/decades weren't mentioned directly.

You know, it might be great to see a movie where the Muppets go on vacation (though Muppets from Space takes place during a vacation Kermit takes). That hasn't been done in movie form yet. Heck, The Muppets ar Walt Disney World is the only special where they've gone on vacation.

An idea I had today, though it would probably be too much fan service, would be to include a number of Jim Henson Hour characters working for the bad guys, them turning against the Muppets because they haven't worked with the Muppets since cancellation. I'm thinking Digit, Leon (if Kevin Clash can be available), Vicki, and Lindbergh. The Gorillia Television crew would be good, except they didn't exactly work for the Muppets and wouldn't need revenge.

But whatever the wait is, I'd like there to be a new special or two before the next movie comes out (reviving the Halloween special seems like an obvious choice). Maybe have it written by Jim Lewis and/or the writers of Letters to Santa while Bobin and Stoller work on the movie (I wonder if those two would work on a Muppet special). And we need viral videos to return (well, they sort of did return with Kermit's Party).

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
You know, it might be great to see a movie where the Muppets go on vacation (though Muppets from Space takes place during a vacation Kermit takes). That hasn't been done in movie form yet. Heck, The Muppets ar Walt Disney World is the only special where they've gone on vacation.
Yeah!! I forgot that I'd been thinking about this several weeks ago: that old ViewMaster reel-pack of The Muppets Hawaiian Vacation (or something like that) would make a great premise for a Muppet mystery movie!! Anything we (or the real writers of course, ha) could think of could take place during their vacation in Hawaii (or wherever), and the Muppets could have scenes in the ocean, on watercraft, the beach, jungle and volcano, it could really be something beautiful and awesome!! Mysteries galore with all the different people that vacation and/or do business in Hawaii.

Sure, some of that was done in MTI, but this would be in the present, and based on land rather than an old-timey pirate ship setting. Eh? Eh?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lol, "LUPIN!!!"
Fantastic.
Yeah... basically some sort of comedic nuisance that barely poses a threat that constantly gets in the way. I was very disappointed how Kermit was portrayed as LeStrade in the Sherlock Holmes comics. He was all too willing to follow Sherlock Gonzo's crazy schemes instead of being completely put off by them.

Ideally, I'd see Kermit and Fozzie as two characters sucked into a mystery that they have to solve to clear their names, and Gonzo as some sort of goofy authority figure that keeps getting in the way. Sort of like a mixture of Zenegata and Frank Drebbin from Naked Gun.

Avilos

Reaction score
Its made my day that so many of you have liked my ideas!

Another idea, I am not sure if it would suit this one but maybe a later one -

Time Travel. Mostly because I love time travel and I think the possibilities would be endless. Due to a mishap with a new invention by Dr Bunsen Honeydew the Muppets are sent to different time periods. There could be small groups of characters together in the same times.

This could be great fun for the music. Having musical styles popular in different decades.
I would have Kermit see the cast of Sam and Friends again and maybe even see themselves from Muppet Babies.

Nasubionna

Reaction score
First off, let me say that I am SO HAPPY that Disney is so excited to produce another Muppet film, and I am not in the least bit concerned about anything - it's just WAY too early for people to be negative! I am simply and utterly delighted that we're even having this conversation!!!

(1) What would you like to see as the plot in the new Muppet "comedy caper" type film?
Oh goodness... I don't know. There have been some great ideas thrown around here (time travel sounds hilarious, especially if it's because of some Muppet Labs catastrophe!). I really don't have a preference if they "play themselves" or play "other characters", like some folks have mentioned. I actually really like how they play roles other than themselves in Great Muppet Caper, because it gives them the opportunity to "break character" back into themselves: a good example of this being when Kermit tells Piggy she's over-acting, and she threatens to walk and starts crying and Kermit apologizes and they go back to acting. That's one of my favorite little bits, actually.
ANYWHO. Long story short, I don't have any great ideas, so I'm excited for what the writers come up with!

(2) What characters would you like to see have the leading roles?
I second what someone else said before: it would be neat to have another classic main character (like Fozzie or Rowlf) get to be a bit more of a lead, as we often get Kermit and Piggy, and Gonzo & Rizzo have gotten to be the leads in several movies already. But it really doesn't matter, because I love them all!

(3) Do you want a Muppet villain (like in Muppets From Space, Letters to Santa and The Muppets) and if so who, or would you prefer the villain to be just a human role for one or more characters?
Hmmm.... I don't think this really matters to me, as long as they are well-written and well-acted. :smile:

(4) Whether they were in The Muppets or not, what five minor characters do you hope have a bigger role in the new movie?
I am DESPERATE for more Link Hogthrob! I just about wet my pants at seeing him in "The Muppets"! Would love it if Matt Vogel got the chance to give voice to Strangepork, too. Also gotta have Sam, Sweetums, and the Swedish Chef. Hmmm, lots of "S" names right in a row there!

(5) What style of music would you like for the new film? Are there any characters that you hope have a song in the new movie?
Anything Muppety, preferably original songs, in the spirit of the first 3 movies. Definitely need a full-on Electric Mayhem performance!

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the Subject of new Muppets:

The only 2 (theatrical) movies not to feature any new Muppet characters were TMM and GMC... GMC having a LOT of characters from the show. MTM was the first to have new characters, but in just very supporting roles. The new Rats in the kitchen besides Rizzo, and of course the three frog advertising agency. MCC and MTI go without any explaination... and MFS only really added the alien Gonzos (and if you want to consider the Cosmic Fish and the talking sandwich).

I could very well see supporting characters that don't take too much focus from the main characters.

Still... I hope Walter gets a nice part.

Status
Not open for further replies.