Eight Ball Rhumba

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
These two chapters were very amusing and helpful in seeing how the tournament progresses.

The Good:
Scooter's introspection on his relationships, both with Amanda and to the Muppets.
Fozzie's reflections on his time in Reno with the Moopets.
The ribbing back and forth between the Muppet players.
Rowlf and Audra, cute, cute couple.
Louis Kazagger being included in a sports-type fic.

The Bad/Confusing.
Er, where is Piggy seated? You need to decide, or at least explain, if she's seated with Kermit during the matches or with Rowlf and Janice and Floyd at the bar.
There are two things I need to point out with the haikus:
1 If you start each with an opening quotation mark, please remember to cap each poem off with a closing quotation mark as well so we know where each one finishes.
2 Haikus are defined as poems of three lines where the lines are of five, then seven, then five syllables each. Though the poems themselves came across well in their recital matter, the structure needs working. Though given that it's Gonzo, I'm not sure if the mismatched measure should or could be excused or corrected. I'd recommend you search through Toughpigs.com's articles to find the series of haikus written for each and every single episode of the Muppet Show for future reference.

Other than that, I enjoyed these updates and await the next installment eagerly. :batty:

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
These two chapters were very amusing and helpful in seeing how the tournament progresses.

The Bad/Confusing.
Er, where is Piggy seated? You need to decide, or at least explain, if she's seated with Kermit during the matches or with Rowlf and Janice and Floyd at the bar.
Technically, she was seated at both places, just not at the same time. The idea was that, during the doubles match, Piggy was sitting with Kermit and then when the singles started, she moved to the bar or was picking up drinks.

That was a case of my fingers not reading what my mind had intended.

Fix that, I shall.

There are two things I need to point out with the haikus:
1 If you start each with an opening quotation mark, please remember to cap each poem off with a closing quotation mark as well so we know where each one finishes.
2 Haikus are defined as poems of three lines where the lines are of five, then seven, then five syllables each. Though the poems themselves came across well in their recital matter, the structure needs working. Though given that it's Gonzo, I'm not sure if the mismatched measure should or could be excused or corrected. I'd recommend you search through Toughpigs.com's articles to find the series of haikus written for each and every single episode of the Muppet Show for future reference.

Other than that, I enjoyed these updates and await the next installment eagerly. :batty:
Yeah, the idea of the haiku seemed to fit Gonzo and I did go and look for more info on writing haikus. The Pedia of Wikis said that the type of haiku that I did was...wait, wait...

"Haiku of four lines (sometimes known as haiqua[12]) or longer have been written, some of them "vertical haiku" with only a word or two per line. These poems mimic the vertical printed form of Japanese haiku."

So I went with that. And this is also why I suck at poetry. But I'm gonna go with the 'it's Gonzo, so it makes sense in hindsight' excuse.

:concern:Kinda a lousy excuse, if you ask me.

Well, no one did. And I fully accept that I did not capture the pure essence of the haiku in the way you would do it. I admit that, cause while I may have some Gonzo-dispositional tendencies, I am not nor could I ever be you, Sir Luminary of Lunacy.

:concern:Aw, that's nice.

I know it is. Okay, I'm gonna do some actual work and then I will get back to the zaniness that is 8 ball. Next up -

Uh, you know what, I don't even know, but I'm sure I could include -

The winners of the second round thus far!
A Scooter and Amanda moment!
And of course, The Muppet Show with special guest star some famous person we know!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh, I'd say stick with what's been working for you. Yay at a potential Scooter+Amanda moment. Post when possible, you should. :shifty:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------
I really liked your insight into Fozzie and how he managed to get through those awful days in Reno. (If saying "awful days in Reno" isn't redundant already...) As terrified as he told Kermit he was of the Moopets, it's nice to see him working through his fears with a little...er...pool therapy.

I can buy Gonzo reciting an obscure haiku form while observing and taking shots. Kind of low-key for him, though, isn't it? And since when has he let a silly thing like a ban on outre' behavior stop him?

The story (and the tourney) are fun to follow. My only beefs are purely technical: PLEASE use a bigger font for the story post...some of us are nearsighted and this just makes it harder! And take time to edit before posting: I'm still seeing several errors of tense (using a present-tense verb to describe a past situation), articles left out (a, the), and the occasional misused word. Your overall skill tells me you would catch these small bloopers with a careful read-through. We're all guilty of one from time to time...but the fewer the reader has to stumble over, the greater their enjoyment of what really is a delightful read! :smile: Do continue!
-------------

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
OMG! I like, just got a like trophy! Awesomes!!

--------------
I really liked your insight into Fozzie and how he managed to get through those awful days in Reno. (If saying "awful days in Reno" isn't redundant already...) As terrified as he told Kermit he was of the Moopets, it's nice to see him working through his fears with a little...er...pool therapy.
Fozzie has always been a favorite (I think there are very few Muppets that I don't like) and the one thing I like to say is that I'm a good character writer (I hope! :embarrassed:). I really liked how Fozzie tried to pass it off that he was having the time of his life in Reno, when in reality he so wanted to leave. I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't been hoping that Kermit or someone from the Muppets would find him and take him back to the land of the good.

And Fozzie's shown he has some hidden talents.

Just between you and me - I really wished there had been more of a showdown between Piggy and Poogy. I mean, I think we all know who would win, but it's like watching kung-fu movies with Bruce Lee. It's not the winning, it's the butt kicking prelude to the winning.

I can buy Gonzo reciting an obscure haiku form while observing and taking shots. Kind of low-key for him, though, isn't it? And since when has he let a silly thing like a ban on outre' behavior stop him?
Technically, I had wanted to do a scene in which Piggy reminded Gonzo that he wasn't to do anything uncouth while at the tournament, but then I decided against it. One reason was because I alluded to it in two different chapters, with both Kermit and Chase stating that they didn't want to run afoul of Gonzo's act.

But it's Gonzo so you know that it would be weird for him to not do something, hence the haiku.

The story (and the tourney) are fun to follow. My only beefs are purely technical: PLEASE use a bigger font for the story post...some of us are nearsighted and this just makes it harder!
:confused: Other than one paragraph within the first chapter and I think chapter 10, the font for me has been relatively normal. Am I'm saying this as someone who is also nearsighted and has a tendency to read without her glasses and had has upped the zoom level on my browser.

The only thing I can think of is that the forums are taking the font that I'm using in Word, which is smaller than here. Which is weird, cause I did the same thing for MMM and had no issues. Will have to investigate that next chapter.

And take time to edit before posting: I'm still seeing several errors of tense (using a present-tense verb to describe a past situation), articles left out (a, the), and the occasional misused word. Your overall skill tells me you would catch these small bloopers with a careful read-through. We're all guilty of one from time to time...but the fewer the reader has to stumble over, the greater their enjoyment of what really is a delightful read! :smile: Do continue!
I am trying (and do) try to make an overall read through before I post, especially if I've stopped writing in the middle of a chapter. My excuses are a little Muppet, a Mom, and work; and I'm also trying to get as much done as I can before I head back to Denver next week, which is ironic, as I'm sure I'll be churning out chapters and verse while there as I'm needing to corral a three year old.

I also admit that I've obviously become spoiled from the Java Hut (ReBoot forums, Slackbot can attest to this) because members can go back and edit any issues at any time. Yes, I know, tis the rather lazy way, especially when I'm supposed to be a freelance writer.

Sadly, I've managed to pick up some major bad habits, both from my last job and this current 'helping hand' one that I didn't use to have and am struggling to break out of.

Just gotta swimmin' when it comes to getting back to the professional aspect.

But hey, in case I haven't said it yet, seriously appreciate the comments and the concrits; it's one thing to recognize it in myself and something different when others see it too. Glad you're enjoying it.

Coming up -
A little romantic interlude!
A doubles discussion!
And a Sunday at the Muppet Show!

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Hello childrens! So I've been sitting on the next chap of this for a few days and finally decided to post it for ya. AND if you're good little Muppets, I'll even post what I have for Monday Dinner Date. But for now, here's some 8 ball!

Chapter XIII

The second round of the Cool Pool tournament ended much as the first round did, with Gonzo showcasing his talents at pool along with his talent at exasperating all those around him with his very presence and overall performing levels. Even though he hadn’t done anything as wild and crazy as balancing items on top of themselves, on top of him, while singing a movie film script, his addition of doing haikus about pool, playing pool, pool tables, pool equipment, the tournament, and that of his opponent had done its job of completely overwhelming all those that had been there to view it.

The third and final matches had been decided and set for the next night, with a fun winners match to take place on Sunday afternoon. Scooter knew he wouldn’t be able to see Sunday’s match because of the show, but he would at least be able to announce the tournament’s winners by then, which would hopefully allow them to make a show around it.

Well, he hoped; he hadn’t actually discussed the idea with the head honcho yet.

For the go-fer turned assistant, his decision to stay behind to help Amanda and Chase with some of the clean up would hit him tomorrow when he stepped back inside the Muppet Theater. He had already gotten his warning when he had sent back the text that he was staying –

DIVINE MISS P: You are so going to get it tomorrow. Don’t come home late; you know how we worry :wink:

If the teasing he had gotten so far was bad, it would pale in comparison when the others noticed his absence on the bus. If he knew Floyd Pepper – and he knew Floyd Pepper – the bassist would come at him like he went after a hip blues rift; and if Floyd went after him, he knew that Janice, Rowlf, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, and even Kermit wouldn’t be far behind. It spoke to his years around the Muppets and their general affection with each other that he both dreaded and welcomed the onslaught.

“Everything okay?”

Amanda arrived at his side, just as he finished checking the various text messages that he seemed to be getting since the carnival of crazy had left. Luckily, the majority were from Kermit – or rather, someone (Piggy, he hoped) assisting Kermit in using the phone that both he and the pig insisted the frog have at any given time – in regards to the show.

“Yeah,” he replied. “Just Kermit telling me about the show; he’s given Gonzo a ‘last resort’ spot only because he managed to restrain himself tonight with the haiku.”

“How’s the show looking without everyone who’s normally there?”

Scooter shrugged. “Not bad,” he said, taking a rag and helping to wipe down the bar counter. “We may run a little under, but we’ll be able to see tomorrow when we do a run through.”

“Will you still be able to watch some of the third round?”

“Oh yeah,” Scooter nodded, enthusiastically and turning to look at her. “I wouldn’t miss spending time with you.”

He hadn’t meant to say that, out loud at least, but from the slight blush that rose on her cheeks, it was a signal that it was a good thing that he had. “I hadn’t meant to say that out loud,” he whispered, moving closer to her. “But I’m glad I did.”

“I’m glad you did too,” came the sultry response, enhanced by the fingers of her hand running down the front of his shirt.

In that moment, Scooter knew he had two choices – keep in the moment or skip out on it. When he had been a teenager, he may have skipped out, too shy to hold his own or too afraid of being rebuffed; one of the benefits of working behind the scenes of a theater and being on the stage of one had definitely lowered the orange Muppet’s inhibitions. Confidence, humor, energy, and an all-around sense of being true to oneself were just some of the learning experiences he had taken from those around him.

Scooter’s brain, which had thankfully returned to his head, saw the moment and decided to go for it. Luckily, the stage manager’s emotions were also on the same page as his logic and everything seemed to be aligning and saying “Go for it!”

Apparently, Amanda had the same thought, mimicking Scooter’s own movement as she moved to meet him halfway.

“You kids almost done out there?”

The sound of Chase coming out of the back office was like a firecracker going off at the fourth of July; the effect did its job by causing the two younger Muppets to jump away from each other, though Scooter made sure that he moved to the other end of the bar, just in case.

“Yeah, Pop,” the yellow Whatnot groaned. Talk about awkward! “We’re just wiping down the counters, as you can plainly see.”

Chase could plainly see that; he could also plainly see that his presence had interrupted something, but he had to admit that the Grosse kid had the good sense to show that he wasn’t interested in anything that resembled his daughter. “Thanks for sticking around, Grosse,” the owner responded, nodding in the Muppet’s direction.

“Not a problem, Mr. Cosgrove,” Scooter all but exclaimed in nervousness, before clearing his throat. “No worries, sir. Least I could do.”

“You’ve done your share, son,” Chase said. “After all, if it wasn’t for you, I probably wouldn’t have gotten the type of business we’ve had this weekend. So the least I can do is let you two kids pop off early for the night.”

“Really, Dad?”

“Sure,” the owner nodded. “Just don’t go all crazy. And don’t come home late! You know how I worry.”

:wink:

With a two hour reprieve, both Amanda and Scooter found that neither wanted to really paint the town, especially not on a Friday night. In the end, they had gone to a popular ice cream shop that Amanda knew that wasn’t very far from Cool Pool and they had spent the walk back, just talking about this or that, while eating flavored ice balls made of cream.

Because Scooter had decided to stay and help, it meant that – while thankfully spared a twenty minute teasing ride home – he was ultimately left without a ride home. Amanda had volunteered to give him a lift and their previous conversation on entertainment, the latest technology, and the news of the world continued as easily as it had on their walk from the ice cream parlor. As the girl’s car pulled alongside the curb in front of the townhome style apartments that Scooter lived in, their conversation continued as they got out and began the walk to the secured entryway.

“I didn’t think I’ve ever become such a Google fanboy,” the red-haired Muppet was saying. “But I guess it helps when I’ve seen the behind the scenes workings of the company.”

“I still can’t believe that you worked for Google straight from college,” Amanda said.

Scooter shrugged, turning towards her as they reached the door. “It was a lucky break,” he replied. “Very lucky; I mean, not because it’s one of the world most successful search engines and companies period, but…the environment and the atmosphere reminded me of the theater. I spent twelve years of my life with the people who worked there; it was a big blow to realize that I was actually leaving and wouldn’t have that anymore.”

“Well,” Amanda whispered, moving closer to him. “I certainly think they missed you as much as you missed them.”

“I like to think so.”

The distance between them had shortened considerably. “Well,” Scooter whispered.

“Well well.”

“Well well well.”

A giggle.

A gulp.

Amanda Cosgrove was a girl who usually went after the things that she wanted, especially if it was something that she really wanted. And she really wanted Scooter Grosse. So, she did what she had wanted to do all night – grabbing the front of his shirt with one hand, she pulled him to her and kissed him.

It’s amazing what goes on in the mind when someone is being kissed. Electrons and neurons are all firing throughout the brain and the body; random, stray thoughts go shooting from side to the other. Scooter’s brain had already jumped up and down at the realization that this beautiful, gorgeous creature was kissing him. And once that thought had been dissolved, there were the observations, like how soft her lips were, how soft she was, how much he was going to enjoy this if they could do it again.

All too soon, the kiss was over and it left both youngsters awed and shocked by the thrill of it.

“I’ve been wanting to do that all night,” Amanda confessed, causing the go-fer to chuckle.

“I’d ask what took so long,” he started. “But I’m well aware of what took so long.”

Her smile at his response was rather radiant and this time, Scooter wasn’t sure if that was because she was just naturally lovely or if their kiss had anything to do with it. “Will I see you tomorrow?” she asked.

“Definitely,” he stated. “In fact, why don’t we meet for a late lunch, early dinner before the tournament gets underway?”

“Perfect.”

“Oh and…uh…” here, he cleared his throat several times. “Piggy and Kermit invited us to dinner next week as well.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

“Okay then.”

Nodding at the unexpectant invitation, Amanda shyly glanced at her suitor and, unable to resist, gave him another kiss. With a whispered goodnight, she managed to make herself turn away and head back to her car. It was only when she had gotten in, started the engine, and was halfway down the block, did she scream a triumphant “yes! Go me!”

:dreamy:

SCOOTIE G: Thought you’d like to know I got home just fine, Piggy my love.

DIVINE MISS P: Glad to hear it. Poor Kermie was pacing the floor with worry.

SCOOTIE G: Oh, I’m sure. :wink: Breakfast tomorrow?

DIVINE MISS P: Just you and the frog, I’m afraid; got a few errands to run.

SCOOTIE G: Huh. That’s not like you. Half expected a request for a play by play.

DIVINE MISS P: Oh, you can be sure of that. Watch out for Pepper and the weirdo tomorrow; they are definitely gunning for you.

SCOOTIE G: Terrif. K

DIVINE MISS P: Jan, Cami, and Moi would also like to take Miss Manda to lunch sometime. Arrange that?

SCOOTIE G: Are you kidding?

DIVINE MISS P: No.

SCOOTIE G: C’mon, at least let me get through the month with her. Intact.

DIVINE MISS P: :mad: We aren’t going to hurt the girl. Honestly, Andrew, sometimes…

SCOOTIE G: <3 You still love me and if Amanda is no worse for wear, I’ll still luv u 2.

DIVINE MISS P: Funny way of showing it.

SCOOTIE G: I promise the coffee fairy will be generous tomorrow.

DIVINE MISS P: There had better be good tidings from the coffee fairy.

SCOOTIE G: Only the best for you, babe. G’nite before the frog finds out about our midnight affairs. :wink:

DIVINE MISS P: Please, the frog is well aware that you carry a torch for me.

SCOOTIE G: I’m pretty sure I didn’t say that. And pretty sure out of the legions of guys who are in love with you, I register pretty low for Kermit.

DIVINE MISS P: I may have created a monster.

SCOOTIE G: U <3 me.

DIVINE MISS P: *le sigh* I do at that. G’night, dearheart. May Amandas sing you to your slumber. :wink:

SCOOTIE G: >:| Very funny.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Awwwww. Now that's the kind of first date we should all be lucky enough to have. It definitely shows that you've be learning at the feet of our fanfic ushgush mistresses/female masters. Thanks for posting such a cute update.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------
Heh heh heh...LOVE the text conversation. Very in character, while expanding the bounds of those characters just a wee bit. (I never thought I'd see Scooter tease Piggy...not even distantly. Interesting. But I'll buy it.)

The kiss: very sweet. Not over-analyzed, but delved into nicely in a way that lets the reader imagine themselves in one (at least) of the places of the lips involved.

And I can't wait to see what sort of innuendo Floyd and company hurl at a very embarrassed gofer...
---------------

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Awwwww. Now that's the kind of first date we should all be lucky enough to have. It definitely shows that you've be learning at the feet of our fanfic ushgush mistresses/female masters. Thanks for posting such a cute update.
Thanks for the praise! Just a correction - this is actually their third date, as their first was the Monday after the show and then the next night (Tuesday) was date numero dos.

------------
Heh heh heh...LOVE the text conversation. Very in character, while expanding the bounds of those characters just a wee bit. (I never thought I'd see Scooter tease Piggy...not even distantly. Interesting. But I'll buy it.)
I'm very much under the opinion that, despite all of her diva tendencies, Piggy isn't a cold hearted witch, with a cap B. I've seen several authors bring up the fact that Piggy tries very much to put up a front for the media and the like, and even the people around her, but every once in a while the pig has her moments.

I figured with the amount of scheming the two of them did together, Piggy would allow some teasing from those she's very close to. Don't expect the same kind from Fozzie or Gonzo without some sort of comeback.

I'm also liking the text convos, so expect to see at least one more before the next show! It'll be a doozy! :busy:

The kiss: very sweet. Not over-analyzed, but delved into nicely in a way that lets the reader imagine themselves in one (at least) of the places of the lips involved.
As a self proclaimed 'ugh' when it comes to overly drawn out romance, sometimes the simple and basic is the way to go. And really, does anyone want their first kiss to feel like someone's trying to devour your face?

And I can't wait to see what sort of innuendo Floyd and company hurl at a very embarrassed gofer...
Yeah, me either. LOL Haven't gotten that far, but I'm fairly sure the boy is walking into danger. *thinks about it* Yeah, pretty sure.

I'm goin' goin' goin back to Denver Denver Denver tomorrow morning, but hopefully I'll get some time to work on the next chapter. Up next -

A talk between the frog and go-fer!
A talk between the dog and pig!
A Muppet Show run through!
Snarky comments!
Inappropriate comments!
Debauchery!

Wait. Um ...probably not that last one, but *shrugs* what the ****.

Debauchery!

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------------
*settles down with ice cream and a nice glass of sauv blanc*

Verily, bring on the debauchery! woo hoo!
----------------