Is there an overrated/underrated Muppet production?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Underrated: The Muppets Go To The Movies (we really need a special like this to keep the Muppets in the public eye before the next movie is released), The Jim Henson Hour (especially Dog City and its eventual animated spin-off), Muppets Tonight (which occasionally had bigger laughs than TMS, from where I sat), Muppets From Space (yes, it could have been better but I still enjoyed it), It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie (featuring one of the best Whitmire Kermit performances and a lot of awesome Muppet Theatre moments), and Letters To Santa (with one of the best modern-day Muppet songs, "I Wish I Could Be Santa Claus," and some great classic Muppet nuttiness including Rudman as Scooter).

Overrated: The Muppets Take Manhattan (parts of it were downright depressing, the Kermit-Piggy wedding never really worked for me, and don't get me started on the Muppet Babies), Muppet Babies (I TOLD you not to get me started!), and The Muppet Christmas Carol (too many humans in pivotal roles, as others have noted, and the whole thing seemed really dark for a Muppet movie).
Criticism of MTM may be unpopular among fans, and there are some great moments in it, but I found it too cloying and pandering in ways not seen in any Muppet production before or since. The brilliantly crafted Muppet Babies segment felt shoehorned in the picture in an attempt to launch the cartoon franchise and the marriage portion kind of jumps the shark. It's one of those things like Charlie Brown finally kicking the football that's never supposed to get a payoff. I truly believe this is one reason the public felt the Muppets were done and it took last year's movie to set things right. The rat sequence, Saying Goodbye and seeing the Muppets in NYC are all priceless moments. Nonetheless, it will always remain my least favorite of the original trilogy. (ducks and hides)

I enjoyed MCC, but nothing beats seeing the Muppets cheerily singing Christmas tunes with John Denver in this fan's opinion.

I do think the television specials are underrated. VMX shines brightest when the Muppets are on screen (without the mugging of David Arquette). This was a special for the grown ups who watched the Muppet Show in their childhood. I can appreciate that some fans were unsettled by the mature subject matter. It touched me. I wonder how LTS would have turned out if it hadn't been so rushed into production.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Criticism of MTM may be unpopular among fans, and there are some great moments in it, but I found it too cloying and pandering in ways not seen in any Muppet production before or since.
I'll agree that there is a bit of that. But it doesn't ruin the movie for me. The writing is quality and that's what matters.

VMX shines brightest when the Muppets are on screen. This was a special for the grown ups who watched the Muppet Show in their childhood. I can appreciate that some fans were unsettled by the mature subject matter.
All I can say, as a grown up who watched the Muppets in my childhood, is that this special gave me nightmares, lol. There was nothing mature in that special, just weakly written shock value. If I want something mature for grown ups I'll watch MTM. :wink:

But again, to each their own. :smile:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'll agree that there is a bit of that. But it doesn't ruin the movie for me. The writing is quality and that's what matters.

All I can say, as a grown up who watched the Muppets in my childhood, is that this special gave me nightmares, lol. There was nothing mature in that special, just weakly written shock value. If I want something mature for grown ups I'll watch MTM. :wink:

But again, to each their own. :smile:
It's funny you say that because I feel MTM is the Muppet film most aimed at kids. However, the music is wonderful! Oscar or not, no modern Muppet film has come close to the quality of the soundtracks from the original trilogy.

VMX is a very important picture in the Muppets' universe because it shows how far they can go before stepping over the line. Some feel they step over it, but I don't see it that way considering that Miss Piggy's persona was originally based on a trucker transvestite.

To each their own. Personally, KSY depressed me because, save a few brief moments, it kiddified something I hold so dear. The particular balance of maturity and humor of the Muppet Show gang is why I cherish them above Sesame and Fraggles. There were times when Rowlf went blue by slipping the B word into a conversation, Miss Piggy flirted with a practically naked, towel-clad dancer and Gonzo normalized his poultry fetish all under the direction of Jim Henson. Of course, that's not all they're about, but they used to not shy away from such extremes either. I like my Muppet humor robust like the old days.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's funny you say that because I feel MTM is the Muppet film most aimed at kids...VMX is a very important picture in the Muppets' universe because it shows how far they can go before stepping over the line. Some feel they step over it, but I don't see it that way considering that Miss Piggy's persona was originally based on a trucker transvestite.
There's so many jokes in MTM that I didn't get at all when I was a child and I'm amazed at how much it didn't underestimate its audience. The Muppets were about mature adult humor from the beginning, long before VMX. They went that far and took those steps long ago. And VMX was an unsubtle, adolescent attempt to appear grown up.

We're not going to agree so I guess it's best to move on to something we will agree with, hehe:

However, the music is wonderful! Oscar or not, no modern Muppet film has come close to the quality of the soundtracks from the original trilogy.
MTM absolutely did deserve the Oscar for its soundtrack. At least they've finally gotten some of that recognition, even if it's for a different song. :smile:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
And VMX was an unsubtle, adolescent attempt to appear grown up.

We're not going to agree so I guess it's best to move on to something we will agree with, hehe:

MTM absolutely did deserve the Oscar for its soundtrack. At least they've finally gotten some of that recognition, even if it's for a different song. :smile:
We're all fans here and have a million different perspectives. I feel completely differently. The only thing I missed from VMX was more songs! :wink:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
In the end, the only Muppet/Henson productions I have little interest to watch again are KSY, EIG and MirrorMask. I guess that's actually a good thing considering the wide catalog of works! I'm not the greatest fan of Muppet Babies or MFS, but they hold enough entertainment value to me to experience on rare occasions.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Overrated:
  • The Muppet Christmas Carol
  • Muppet Babies
  • The Muppets (2011)
Underrated:
  • It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie
  • Muppets Tonight
  • The Great Muppet Caper

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
Overrated:
  • The Muppet Christmas Carol
  • Muppet Babies
  • The Muppets (2011)
Underrated:
  • It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie
  • Muppets Tonight
  • The Great Muppet Caper
Muppets 2011 was definitely overrated. MMW should have gotten way more appreciation. Plus the title is terrible.