I Think my Head's Been in the Clouds too Long...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Don't you get snow there too?
Snow? Pfft.

This past winter was the first winter, that I can remember, where we practically got no snow... maybe a couple of flurries at best. The last two or three winters before that, we did actually have unusual amounts of accumulation (the winter of 2010-2011 we actually had a LOT of ice too) which has been great, but an winter for us will have one overnight snow (which can get up to three inches) that promptly melts the next morning when the sun rises.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Snow? Pfft.

This past winter was the first winter, that I can remember, where we practically got no snow... maybe a couple of flurries at best. The last two or three winters before that, we did actually have unusual amounts of accumulation (the winter of 2010-2011 we actually had a LOT of ice too) which has been great, but an winter for us will have one overnight snow (which can get up to three inches) that promptly melts the next morning when the sun rises.
Lol, fair enough. I still say there's nothing wrong with an artist having to work in the beginning. It's just reality.

Hubert

Reaction score
Lol, fair enough. I still say there's nothing wrong with an artist having to work in the beginning. It's just reality.
I don't think it's having to work that bothers D'Snowth, I think its the fact that he doesn't want to be one of those people who have these humble beginnings as a lowly waiter, then suddenly rockets up to stardom, that he wants to be someone who always knew what they wanted to do, not one who gave up on his life and by luck was successful.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't think it's having to work that bothers D'Snowth, I think its the fact that he doesn't want to be one of those people who have these humble beginnings as a lowly waiter, then suddenly rockets up to stardom, that he wants to be someone who always knew what they wanted to do, not one who gave up on his life and by luck was successful.
Kinda-sorta... I just don't want to be among the masses, so-to-speak... I'm not like everyone else, therefore, I really don't want to be like everyone else, if you see what I'm saying. The REAL greats, the ones who are my heroes, weren't like everyone else, they managed to do their own thing in their own way, which is what I would like to do, I just want to do my own thing my own way.

Hubert

Reaction score
Kinda-sorta... I just don't want to be among the masses, so-to-speak... I'm not like everyone else, therefore, I really don't want to be like everyone else, if you see what I'm saying. The REAL greats, the ones who are my heroes, weren't like everyone else, they managed to do their own thing in their own way, which is what I would like to do, I just want to do my own thing my own way.
Yep. I see what you're saying. I agree with you. I'd like to also kinda do my own separate thing. And it's true: the people in the entertainment who actually made a positive impact, most of them did that by doing they're own thing, doing it their way. Cause if you do it someone elses, way, you've got to live up to their standards.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
he wants to be someone who always knew what they wanted to do, not one who gave up on his life and by luck was successful.
I think the waiter/actors also know what they want to do and they haven't given up. It's just that it can take a long time for an artist to make it and in the meantime you have to eat. That's what Muppets Take Manhattan is all about, having to go to the school of hard knocks before you can be successful.

And a huge percent of what makes any artist successful is luck. You don't hear about all the other people who didn't make it, but it's not because they didn't try as hard as everyone else.

The Beatles didn't wait around until the best clubs wanted them, they played in the worst joints imaginable for years. Only for their first record to be just playing background accompaniment to some singer. They could have said no to these less than satisfying opportunities but they didn't because they knew how to take their knocks.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------------
I agree with Heralde. Snowth, just because having to work your way through life in order to be able to afford to pursue your art is "common" that's no reason to turn up your nose at it and give up your art! This is NOT an either/or dilemma. It's a "making your life work" situation and that's ALL it is.

If your artist's manifesto does not include supporting yourself somehow...then it's an unrealistic manifesto. That said, I hope you continue your puppeteering. You're good.
---------------

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Remember Joseph, even Jim started small...he was doing Puppets for local channels before he even made it somewhat big in college with sam and friends since NBC saw potential in him...it really is all in a way blind luck...im not saying give up but just its ok to have another job and still pursue your dreams, even if what you do during the day is flip burgers...theres no shame in that...as my own mother used to put it she always wanted me to get another job. not to help her or to give up my dream but to help myself in my own puppetry and video editing and equipment

i could sit and spew examples of my own life of success and what seems failures...right now im in a rut and nothings come along but ive find other wok on the side to help myself in these down times, so from one hopeful puppeteer to another dont give up and dont feel bad about looking for a second option for funds