Fraggle Rock Movie Gets Screenwriters (Hollywood Reporter)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Someone help me scrape my jaw off the floor.

While I can't say I'm much of a FR fan, this is quite a surprise!
Having a writer, while it means the project is moving forward, doesn't mean that the project won't be stuck in developmental purgatory. Didn't POTDC have like 3 sets of writers before they just gave up on it?

We all want this film to happen, and we're all hoping it's going to be show accurate and well written. But Henson's batting average has sucked lately. Hopefully they don't need 50 business partners to get this movie off the ground. That was what the roadblock was last time.

bandit

Reaction score
Like I said earlier to a couple of other members, I want to feel good about the fact that Fraggle Rock could make a reappearance but.....There are so many variables.
The main thing is that I would want them to preserve the spirit of the old show. It would be great if it had the same charm and sass and depth Fraggle Rock has always had and not just some cheezy tribute movie with an edgy script and ridiculously pop sound track. It has to have the same FEEL. It has the have heart. The creators and writers of the show had alot to say and they did it cleverly without ever clonking you over the head with it.
If they lose that, then they've lost the whole point of Fraggle Rock to begin with.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
It has to have basically everything that Jim Henson made that series to be otherwise I'm sending one angry fan letter!

bandit

Reaction score
Yes! Though, actually, FR was left to the writers and producers more than many of Jim's other creations. He really let them have a run with it, from what I understand. Still, the people that ran the show were familiar to Jim's work and close to him. They all were on the same page so I don't know -what- to expect from a couple of people who are coming at this fresh. Itd be great if they had the input from the people who really ran the show back then.. Ahhh but that wont happen.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
True however he still had some say in it which I think makes or made a difference.

bandit

Reaction score
Absolutely. And like I said, having a team of writers, producers and craftsmen who worked closely with Jim on other projects DEFINITELY helped. NOT having that this time around could be bad.
But who knows! It might be great! Might be WONDERFUL! Might be super exciting!!!!

Or....it might be nonexistent given the way the movie industry sits on things forever and a half. Hahahaha

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Yeah imagine the dust bunnies! LOL! okay were getting off topic here but it's like most things a sit and wait type thing. -_-

bandit

Reaction score
Haha! We're not off topic. The point is that the movie is an exciting turn of events but it's also one we can be wary of because we don't know what direction they are sending our beloved little guys in. We're doing what P said. Keep your hopes high and expectations low.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Like I said earlier to a couple of other members, I want to feel good about the fact that Fraggle Rock could make a reappearance but.....There are so many variables.
The main thing is that I would want them to preserve the spirit of the old show. It would be great if it had the same charm and sass and depth Fraggle Rock has always had and not just some cheezy tribute movie with an edgy script and ridiculously pop sound track. It has to have the same FEEL. It has the have heart. The creators and writers of the show had alot to say and they did it cleverly without ever clonking you over the head with it.
If they lose that, then they've lost the whole point of Fraggle Rock to begin with.
Like I said before. Corey had his convictions and that's why I was excited to see him as a writer. Even Henson wanted a robot sidekick added into the film and he stood his ground saying "NO!" I hope we have that kind of conviction and purism here. And I really think there should be a sitdown with the existing writers to help shape the script the same way The Muppets was shaped by Muppet Studios and the Muppeteers themselves. The Muppets was a great script, but I don't think it would have been a strong movie if they left in Walter being a dummy and all the references to them being puppets.

The thing is quality. Rango was a quality film, and I can trust them on that. But they need to make it a quality Fraggle Rock movie with NO poopoo jokes and no out of contxt pop culture references. They need to revisit the TV show first and foremost. I didn't like the guys who wrote the Smurfs movie, even though they managed to get a couple things right that the cartoon got wrong (Gargamel wanting to use Smurfs for Magic instead of eating them/ Greedy Smurf was never the cook). They seemed to only barely get what they were about.