New Muppets movie must be almost all bluescreen

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm talking about the example photo used in the article in the link above.
Ah. I'm pretty sure it's all in the lighting. Looking at the image, yeah, their colors are similar, but Zoot's is a deeper blue.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Careful fine tuning. If you mess with it long enough, you can get the perfect shade of color, and only that shade to be erased.

As I was watching the movie, I had the feeling a lot of it was shot with bluescreen. But at least its convincing. There is nothing more jarring than bad use of chromakey

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Careful fine tuning. If you mess with it long enough, you can get the perfect shade of color, and only that shade to be erased.

As I was watching the movie, I had the feeling a lot of it was shot with bluescreen. But at least its convincing. There is nothing more jarring than bad use of chromakey
That's good, because I've often wondered how I would be able to tackle doing any kind of successful chromakey in the event of a character (like Zoot) has BOTH green AND blue in its color scheme.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Typically, you want to avoid doing that completely. You can use other colors, but green and blue do tend to work best.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
There's a video of it on Vimeo: it's basically almost like Photoshop, they shot each individual character (against bluescreen), then super-imposed them into the arches, then super-imposed all of them into the final shot.
video link?

Hubert

Reaction score
See, I don't quite get this. Like, I see why blue screen needed to be used for Walter in that scene, but the other two examples, EM and Kermit talking to the Muppets, I see no reason that blue screen would've been necessary. We already shot all the Muppets, so just go and put Kermit facing them, and shoot it. Can't the EM actually be shot on location? I know it might save them a bit of money, but as D'Snowth said, I think there's better alternatives to saving money than to use all that blue screen...

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
See, I don't quite get this. Like, I see why blue screen needed to be used for Walter in that scene, but the other two examples, EM and Kermit talking to the Muppets, I see no reason that blue screen would've been necessary. We already shot all the Muppets, so just go and put Kermit facing them, and shoot it. Can't the EM actually be shot on location? I know it might save them a bit of money, but as D'Snowth said, I think there's better alternatives to saving money than to use all that blue screen...
It saves them a lot of time and money. Imagine, they have to bring all their cameras, and puppeteers to the subway station, to film a four second scene. Plus, they have to rent out the station for the day. This way, it probably took them an hour to get it right, instead of having to go through all that trouble to get the subway scene.
Truthfully, when I watched the movie, I had no idea that it was blue screen until I read this article.

Hubert

Reaction score
It saves them a lot of time and money. Imagine, they have to bring all their cameras, and puppeteers to the subway station, to film a four second scene. Plus, they have to rent out the station for the day. This way, it probably took them an hour to get it right, instead of having to go through all that trouble to get the subway scene.
Truthfully, when I watched the movie, I had no idea that it was blue screen until I read this article.
What about for the Kermit facing the Muppets scene? Why did Kermit have to be done on blue screen? All they would've had to do was put Kermit's back facing the camera and shoot him along with it...

And I do see your point on the subway scene, but my point is that I think that we could find better, more productive ways to make money and save time than not going to a subway station.