Potential New Muppet Show

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just for the sake of the argument

Production companies don't always earmark shows specifically for their own media outlets. Modern Family is produced by Fox, but it airs on Disney owned ABC. It never was like that, and it never will be. Sure, you'll see a Warner Brothers produced show on a Warner Bros network, but you'll also find them on networks owned by Fox or NBC.

But I don't think they'd really stray too far from the Muppets, and keep them in the Disney channel family. But then again, I'd fear for my life if they were on NBC again. We'll never let how they treated JHH down.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
The thing about Disney Channel has me torn. If it does air on Disney Channel, it would give the channel a break from the crud that they air now, but also, it sort of clicks having it be on the Disney Channel and being owned by Disney. :confused:
It should be on ABC that's Disney owned as well.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Maybe I'm being negative here but I think if this aired on a network this would be killed by how modern ratings are done..it is not even a matter of having high ratings it is a matter of having the rate ratings with the right demographice (Harry's law...the highest rated scripted show on NBC was cancelled because it did not have high ratings in the right demographic). I just cant see something like this working on a network...it would have to be a cable situation.... and to honest I don't want to see studio dc as a regular series... I think it would be nice to see a series of specials with the muppets on the networks...an election special would be nice

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Oh lord anything but a DC thing!!! Who knows they might not even get anywhere with it it could just be all talk. Honestly if they even consider a DC thing or Disney channel I'd rather they just do movies and occasional tv specials. "shrugs" But I'm still somewhat excited about this.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If this moves forward I hope they don't focus too much more on new characters than old characters. I feel that was one of the mistakes The Jim Henson Hour and Muppets Tonight made (though many of those new characters are great). They should focus on as many classic characters first, and maybe slowly introduce more characters as the show progresses.

I think it should be a sitcom about the Muppets putting on a show. They should be able to show occasional on-stage acts, but most of the time should be spent on the week-to-week process of running a show, taking place over the course of multiple shows, and maybe showing some consequences for some of the acts.

Earlier this year I wrote a series of fan fics called "The Muppets After the Muppets", showing how I would handle a new Muppet show. I'm not expecting anybody from Disney to actually look at those, but if anybody here would like to see how I feel it should be done, search for "The Muppets After the Muppets" in the fan fiction section (I think it'd be easier to search via Google than the search engine here). I eventually stopped making new ones because I felt the time was right.

catherine

Reaction score
I hope they do another muppet show. I love the muppet shows, they have done and no one can replace the muppets

Drtooth

Reaction score
Maybe I'm being negative here but I think if this aired on a network this would be killed by how modern ratings are done..it is not even a matter of having high ratings it is a matter of having the rate ratings with the right demographice (Harry's law...the highest rated scripted show on NBC was cancelled because it did not have high ratings in the right demographic). I just cant see something like this working on a network...it would have to be a cable situation.... and to honest I don't want to see studio dc as a regular series... I think it would be nice to see a series of specials with the muppets on the networks...an election special would be nice
Ratings demographics are bull freaking crap. They always were, and they killed so many shows. Internet and goth kid who never watched it favorite Invader Zim being a famous example, Cedric the Entertainer being another.

But even then, television networks weren't exactly kind to the Muppets before that. We know the story of how The Muppet Show happened, so I won't repeat it here. We also know how poorly JHH and MT were on network TV, so that gets by as a mention. It needs the safe environment of cable TV (as syndication doesn't exist anymore, outside of crappy daytime TV and current sitcom reruns at night), or it will die a quick death on television. No matter how good the writing and puppetry is.

Though, a series of specials IS a brilliant idea that they need to put into place by the time the next film starts filming. An election special, I have to agree with the reasons why they didn't do one last time... the jokes would be too dated and it wouldn't have replay value. Plus everyone on both sides is far too bitter and galvanized for that to work anyway. This isn't the 90's when everyone can make fun of Clinton and both sides can laugh jovially (we all miss Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain, don't we?)

We need a Halloween special, and a just so special they can air around Christmas. There are FAR too many Christmas Muppet projects out there, and you can't punt a football without hitting a Muppet Christmas book, movie, special, album, or random tchotchke. Meanwhile, Halloween gets you 2 episodes of the TV show, the 4 part Muppet Mash story arc in the comics, and an upcoming kids book (unless you count the 2 Sesame Street DTV projects).