Positive And Negative: Kermit's Swamp Years (Opinions on KSY)

Vincent L

Reaction score
The fart shoes are OK in my opinion...as long as Fozzie doesn't perform it on stage.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just watched the movie again for the first time in years. And I've got some things to say, aside from what I posted here earlier.

This movie takes place in a universe where animals can talk to humans but don't, Arnie the Alligator's reason being "Frogs that talk to humans get killed and cooked and eaten alive!" I find this a little unbelievable for a Muppet production, since we've all grown up with so many Muppet productions where humans do talk to animals, animals behave like humans, and humans generally don't question animals who act human.

And then the animals start talking to humans because of Kermit. I wonder how fast it took for news of it being okay for animals to talk to humans spread around the world. Kermit should have gone down in history for being responsible for it being okay for animals to talk to humans, but I guess he didn't. If Kermit had such a reputation/fame for this wouldn't his friends have been aware of this when meeting him in The Muppet Movie (I know, nobody who worked on the film thought there'd be a prequel)?

The credits list "monkey" as a John Kennedy character, but WHICH monkey is it? There are two monkeys in the film, one in the "Life as a Pet" number, and the one Kermit encounters when he falls on the truck. Both got roughly the same screen time, neither being more important than the other. And I'm not too familiar with John Kennedy's voices, aside from those that sound like Jim Henson's gruff voices and his Floyd voice.

The credits also list "Chico" among Steve Whitmire's characters. This is the spanish-speaking frog, but he's not mentioned by name in the film (I think he's mentioned by name in one of the extra outtakes on the DVD). It's also a shame that Jack Rabbit doesn't introduce himself by name.

Most of the "soundtrack songs" are very forgettable.

I noticed Wilson just picked up Goggles and Blotch upon seeing them, and he later chases after Pilgrim (not sure if he intended on selling her, keeping her as a pet, or what). Is this how pet shops normally obtain pets? By finding strays and selling them? Around this time there was a Sesame Street episode where Big Bird adopted a pet turtle, who left because he was a wild turtle, not a pet turtle.

And is it realistic for frogs to be alive during biology class? I only had to dissect a frog once, but the frogs were already dead before class. Ironically today I also watched the Dinosaurs episode "Employee of the Month", which begins with Robbie's class dissecting cave people, who are still alive before dissecting.

When Wilson sees Blotch and Goggles fighting, he just puts them in a seperate cage. Shouldn't he have just put the two in seperate cages from eahc other? And why put frogs in a cage with a snake?

And if animals are not supposed to be talking to humans, then how do Kermit, Croaker, and Pilgrim obtain that bag of popcorn in the movie theater? Sneak it away from an audience member? Find a full bag that happened to be in the theater? Get on top of one another and cover up in a trench coat and maybe hat and fool everybody?

And what was up with all those bunnies that keep appearing?

Early on Wilson says he needs to find the right dog for a pet, and at the end offers to be Pilgrim's owner. But what was so special about her to him? That she can talk? In this universe all dogs can talk, though I guess he felt she'd be the only dog who would admit to talking to him.

That flashback where a frog talked to yougn Hugo Krassman is unsettling. It shows that a Muppet could die, though we never exactly know that he went through with it. And what is it they were calling him, "Froggy pants" or something (I meant to turn on the subtitles so I could see the exact words but forgot)?

And after falling out of the truck, why DID Kermit continue carrying that squeaky toy? Aside from it being a plot point (if Kermit didn't carry it for so long Pilgrim wouldn't have known he had it, and therefore wouldn't have know the truck belonged to a pet shop).

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
What does Ziffel mean? The only Ziffel I know is Fred Ziffel from Green Acres.
Pros-Kermit as a kid, Croaker, and Goggles. I actually like Pilgrim(I may be in the minority).Life as A Pet song is actually catchy with a cameo of Be-bop--dediddly-dog-bop from Bunny Picnic. Young Jim,Young Statler And Waldorf
Cons-Potty jokes, and the remix of Rainbow Connection. (I love the original too much to accept it). Dr. Krassman and his back story aren't interesting.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I just watched the movie again for the first time in years. And I've got some things to say, aside from what I posted here earlier.

This movie takes place in a universe where animals can talk to humans but don't, Arnie the Alligator's reason being "Frogs that talk to humans get killed and cooked and eaten alive!" I find this a little unbelievable for a Muppet production, since we've all grown up with so many Muppet productions where humans do talk to animals, animals behave like humans, and humans generally don't question animals who act human.

And then the animals start talking to humans because of Kermit. I wonder how fast it took for news of it being okay for animals to talk to humans spread around the world. Kermit should have gone down in history for being responsible for it being okay for animals to talk to humans, but I guess he didn't. If Kermit had such a reputation/fame for this wouldn't his friends have been aware of this when meeting him in The Muppet Movie (I know, nobody who worked on the film thought there'd be a prequel)?

The credits list "monkey" as a John Kennedy character, but WHICH monkey is it? There are two monkeys in the film, one in the "Life as a Pet" number, and the one Kermit encounters when he falls on the truck. Both got roughly the same screen time, neither being more important than the other. And I'm not too familiar with John Kennedy's voices, aside from those that sound like Jim Henson's gruff voices and his Floyd voice.

The credits also list "Chico" among Steve Whitmire's characters. This is the spanish-speaking frog, but he's not mentioned by name in the film (I think he's mentioned by name in one of the extra outtakes on the DVD). It's also a shame that Jack Rabbit doesn't introduce himself by name.

Most of the "soundtrack songs" are very forgettable.

I noticed Wilson just picked up Goggles and Blotch upon seeing them, and he later chases after Pilgrim (not sure if he intended on selling her, keeping her as a pet, or what). Is this how pet shops normally obtain pets? By finding strays and selling them? Around this time there was a Sesame Street episode where Big Bird adopted a pet turtle, who left because he was a wild turtle, not a pet turtle.

And is it realistic for frogs to be alive during biology class? I only had to dissect a frog once, but the frogs were already dead before class. Ironically today I also watched the Dinosaurs episode "Employee of the Month", which begins with Robbie's class dissecting cave people, who are still alive before dissecting.

When Wilson sees Blotch and Goggles fighting, he just puts them in a seperate cage. Shouldn't he have just put the two in seperate cages from eahc other? And why put frogs in a cage with a snake?

And if animals are not supposed to be talking to humans, then how do Kermit, Croaker, and Pilgrim obtain that bag of popcorn in the movie theater? Sneak it away from an audience member? Find a full bag that happened to be in the theater? Get on top of one another and cover up in a trench coat and maybe hat and fool everybody?

And what was up with all those bunnies that keep appearing?

Early on Wilson says he needs to find the right dog for a pet, and at the end offers to be Pilgrim's owner. But what was so special about her to him? That she can talk? In this universe all dogs can talk, though I guess he felt she'd be the only dog who would admit to talking to him.

That flashback where a frog talked to yougn Hugo Krassman is unsettling. It shows that a Muppet could die, though we never exactly know that he went through with it. And what is it they were calling him, "Froggy pants" or something (I meant to turn on the subtitles so I could see the exact words but forgot)?

And after falling out of the truck, why DID Kermit continue carrying that squeaky toy? Aside from it being a plot point (if Kermit didn't carry it for so long Pilgrim wouldn't have known he had it, and therefore wouldn't have know the truck belonged to a pet shop).
Arnie probably meant animals he knew. e grew up in the swamp where animals are obstacles in the way of "progress" sad but true. The having frogs alive is probably so Kermit and Krassman could have a totally unnecessary scapel fight like the movie Kermit sees, but I'll love everyone of their movies unconditonally.

Powerstars

Reaction score
Well guys, I say it's about time to open another one of these threads. Any requests?

Borples

Reaction score
Have you done TMTM? I think, for most people, that one has quite a few positives and negatives.