Who wants the future Muppet movies to be...

Hayley B

Reaction score
I keep wondering if they could make a Muppet Babies movie all in live action Muppets? That would be cute and fun to see.

No I wouldn't like them to be CGI.

fictionalnice

Reaction score
*GASP* That is a great idea!!! It would be adorable! YES! THEY MUST!!! :smile::embarrassed::concern::mad::wink::sympathy::halo:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I think it's wise to let the Muppet Babies take a back seat for a time while Disney strengthens the original Muppet characters. You have no idea how many people reference the Muppet Babies themesong when I bring up the Muppets. That should never be the first go-to for the Muppets. Unfortunately that's the case with an entire generation or two.

It will be time to explore such options once the Muppets have a second film and television show on the air. I also understand why Disney's hurrying the next Muppet film into production. They don't want other projects like Sesame, Fraggles, Happytime or Alf, to be the first beneficiaries of their momentum.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
CGI can work for The Muppets in small doses (I think of the great "Duelling Musicians" commercial Brad Paisley did with Kermit five or six years ago) but I would be extremely disappointed to see the technology reduce or replace real-time use of the actual puppets.

As has been mentioned many times in this thread, a large part of the Muppets' charm has always been that they exist in the real world and the rest of us poor unfortunate non-Muppet types can actually interact with them. Not even the most sophisticated CGI can recreate that.

This has been the case from the Jimmy Dean days straight up to the most recent movie and DVD/Blu-Ray release, not to mention the wonderful promotional appearances the Muppeteers have done in conjunction with these events. Think of Miss Piggy mixing it up with Sharon Osbourne on The Talk, or Kermit assessing Republican presidential candidates (albeit reluctantly) with Stephen Colbert, or the Electric Mayhem and Travis Barker on Jimmy Kimmel Live. There's no way CGI could have resulted in any of those amazing moments that are already, in my opinion, treasured additions to the Muppets' body of work.

Props to Caper for getting a good discussion going on this topic, but with all due respect, I like my Muppets as three-dimensional beings.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Personally I want the future Muppet movies to go back to how it was during the first 3. Don't get me wrong, I love Treasure Island and Christmas Carol. But it seemed for awhile that lots of their stuff was being based on books afterwords like Wizard of Oz (which I didn't care for much), though I do love It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. Which brings me to my point. If you kind of look at the first 3, they were original but they were parodic genres. The Muppet Movie was very original parodying artistic dreams vs. Business which was a subject matter Jim personally took to heart and loved parodying but also spread the message of even though there's going to be people out there to bring you down, don't let them. Take a close listen to the lyrics of Rainbow Connection and you'll see the symbolism "I'll prove them wrong wait and see (people who say that you'll never make it), someday we'll find it the Rainbow Connection, the lovers (the fans), the dreamers (people with artistic goals) and me (both)."
But Great Muppet Caper and Muppets Take Manhattan parodied genres which I loved. Caper was a parody of mystery, detective and crime fighting movies and Manhattan was a spoof on Broadway and like The Muppet Movie, the harsh realities of the media biz.

Even though I loved the new Muppet Movie and I thought Muppets From Space lacked a lot. I worry about Muppets 2. First off the title. It's odvious for two reasons. Lack of original title unlike the others and Muppets don't do sequals, well until now. I don't mind Walter but he's more of a straightman / parody on Muppet Fans like us. lol Which I find flatteringly awesome. lol But he's not disfunctional like the rest which makes them funny to begain with.

Anyway, I like the idea of parodying genres. I think a Muppet western might be something to look into, but then again it's kind of hard because of the show down in TMM, and even though space might be another idea, MFS already did it. However, Kirk Thatcher had a script called Muppets IN Space which is the characters going to Koosbane. But anyway, something on those lines.

And one more thing, I would LOVE for The Cheapest Muppet Movie EVER to be made and unaltered. The ORIGINAL Jim Henson, Jerry Juhl and Frank Oz script. For those fans who never heard about this, it was a script that was written in the mid 80s I believe and it was parodying the fact that each Muppet Movie had a bigger budget, so that based the idea, and I think the plot was Kermit giving Gonzo the operationally to make his own movie and the plot just gets weirder and weirder and Gonzo goes overboard on the budget and the film gets cheaper and cheaper right to the very end.
I love this idea, it cracks me up. It brings back the ol' Muppet Show style of things in my opinion. lol

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
And one more thing, I would LOVE for The Cheapest Muppet Movie EVER to be made and unaltered. The ORIGINAL Jim Henson, Jerry Juhl and Frank Oz script. For those fans who never heard about this, it was a script that was written in the mid 80s I believe and it was parodying the fact that each Muppet Movie had a bigger budget, so that based the idea, and I think the plot was Kermit giving Gonzo the operationally to make his own movie and the plot just gets weirder and weirder and Gonzo goes overboard on the budget and the film gets cheaper and cheaper right to the very end.
I love this idea, it cracks me up. It brings back the ol' Muppet Show style of things in my opinion. lol
I'd love to see that too, but one thing that a few other forum members have pointed out is that whille "Cheapest" sounds good on paper, it might not work as a full feature film. I think a better idea would be to include "Cheapest" as an exposition plot for a movie (and having the rest of the movie be something else, like the gang trying to get enough money to finish their movie, or something). Another idea is to make "Cheapest" into a TV special.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I really think The Muppets 2 is just a placeholder title until more concrete details on the film are figured out. When it was announced, I'm sure Nick Stoller and the rest of the creative crew barely had any idea what the new film was going to be about aside from "a caper", so that title was chosen to stand in.