RIP Andy Griffith

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I'll be honest I never liked his shows *please DO NOT flame at me for giving my opinion* but I understand he was a very good and gracious person. My grandmother was a fan though and watched his shows all the time. No matter how many times she may have seen them. The Andy Griffith Show and Matlock were the two she enjoyed the most. I guess she's finally meeting him. So many good people we have lost over the years. IMO just means their too good for this world.

RIP Andy we'll see you again someday.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Whistling the theme to The Andy Griffith Show in his honor.

It is amazing that a show that old has held up so well over the years. Just as great today as it was back when it first aired. TV truly lost a legend today.

Rest in peace, Andy, and thanks for all the great memories.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't get it... I left a comment on an article about his death, sharing my feelings of sadness over his passing, and how far back my memories of him and his Mayberry neighbors go back... and I get a bunch of thumbs down on it... what's with that? I said nothing negative or offense, so what did I possibly say that deserved thumbs down?

Hubert

Reaction score
You know, now that I think about it, Andy and Kermit were kind of alike.
They were really alike...I was reading somewhere that originally Andy was going to be like Lucy, always getting into odd predicaments and needing to get out of them, but they decided that wouldn't work, so instead they made the other characters get into the problems, so that he could come and fix them...you have basically the same thing with Kermit.

I don't get it... I left a comment on an article about his death, sharing my feelings of sadness over his passing, and how far back my memories of him and his Mayberry neighbors go back... and I get a bunch of thumbs down on it... what's with that? I said nothing negative or offense, so what did I possibly say that deserved thumbs down?
I'll betcha it's probably the people out there who think anything black-and-white is boring, and just want to thumb down everything because of how boring they think all his stuff was... :sigh:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They were really alike...I was reading somewhere that originally Andy was going to be like Lucy, always getting into odd predicaments and needing to get out of them, but they decided that wouldn't work, so instead they made the other characters get into the problems, so that he could come and fix them...you have basically the same thing with Kermit.
Yeah, you can tell a difference in Andy's demeanor throughout the first season, and the following seasons of the show: throughout the first season, he's a lot more of a quirky character, with his country-fried retelling of stories (like telling Opie about Romeo and Juliet), or gently teasing Barney or Ellie about something, but afterwards, he's completely the straightman, or as they would say on TV Tropes, the Only Sane Man in Mayberry, while everyone else were the ones with the quirks, whether it was Barney's overzeal, or Otis's drunken stupor, or Gomer (and later Goober) being the simple-minded yet well-meaning bumpkin, or the nutty Ernest T. Bass, etc.

I understand that even though he was never credited as a writer, Andy pretty much mapped out every single episode of the show, or at least had a say-so in how the episode should play out and such... I remember one anecdote from Ron Howard about there was a line he supposed to say as Opie, but he felt it didn't seem like the right kind of line a seven-year-old would say, so Andy asked him what he thought the line should be; they used it, and he later told him how surprised he was that they actually used the line that he (a seven-year-old) suggested, to which Andy told him because, "It was the only one that was any **** good". :laugh:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Just some trolls who love to create negativity for the sake of it. :rolleyes:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In spite of how great the show was, there was always ONE little aspect that actually annoyed me: Ellie May Walker.

I'm glad she wasn't on the show for the whole run, because she could be really annoying at times... in fact, just about all of her episodes were the same: she an Andy are involved in something, Andy says something he thinks is funny to joke with her, she takes offense to his comment acting like he's sexist and storms off in a huff, then Andy spends the rest of the episode trying to make sense of her reaction, while other characters try to bring them back together. I do remember reading Andy had her written off of the show because he felt they really had no believable chemistry, I agree.