Overused Songs in Movies or TV

mr3urious

Reaction score
I also forgot about "Fortunate Son" for any scene set during the Vietnam War. Of course, it was very popular among soldiers during that time.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I also forgot about "Fortunate Son" for any scene set during the Vietnam War. Of course, it was very popular among soldiers during that time.
They can get away with that only because it is such a good song. Creedence Clearwater Revival were awesome!

"For What It's Worth" also tends to get used in movies set in or around the sixties.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Any movie that has a dog in it... every trailer for those movies invariably uses Atomic Dog by George Clinton or the terrible Who let the Dogs Out.

Secondly, I find the Rocky montage ripoff overused, but for some reason, Eye of the Tiger is the most overused song when they reference training montages. Even in the brilliant film Persepolis.

Remember in 1999 when like, EVERY movie had Smashmouth's lousy "All Star" song in it, only to have to hear it again in 2001's Shrek?

But what really irks me... I find 1990's rap music overused in kid's movies. Especially risque ones used OUT of context. Especially the groan inducing use of "Baby got Back" in the dishwater dull Yogi Bear movie.

mr3urious

Reaction score
But what really irks me... I find 1990's rap music overused in kid's movies. Especially risque ones used OUT of context. Especially the groan inducing use of "Baby got Back" in the dishwater dull Yogi Bear movie.
Though it did get used to hilarious effect in a montage in Malcolm in the Middle where Hal was secretly fattening up Lois as she was trying to lose weight during pregnancy, because he likes her big. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Though it did get used to hilarious effect in a montage in Malcolm in the Middle where Hal was secretly fattening up Lois as she was trying to lose weight during pregnancy, because he likes her big. :big_grin:

Anything, when used right, can be funny.

The use of same song in Yogi was gratuitous. I swear the audience was full of prudish parents complaining about the ratings system... and they ALL uproariously laughed at CGI Yogi dancing over it. The very same people who would have probably charged radio stations that played that back in the 1990's when it was sort of taboo with pitchforks and torches.

In fact, the use of ANY homogenized, safe for kids, well out of date rap in ANY kid's movie. It's not funny... it's not cute... kids actually don't like outdated safe rap music, and getting any cartoon character that NEVER rapped before to rap is just lame.

And "Everybody Dance Now" also freaking sucks. Stop using it everywhere. Destroy all the copies of it in existence.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
"Can't Touch This". TV shows, movies, and even TV commercials.

mr3urious

Reaction score
And for every sexy scene: "Let's Get it On" by Marvin Gaye! :big_grin:

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
I heard "I Believe I Can Fly" on the radio today and it reminded me that it's become the "inspirational scene" anthem.