Henson issues statement about Chick-Fila-A

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Seriously, since when did Chick-fil-A start offering kid meals... with toys? I've been going to Chick-fil-A for YEARS (and yes, I still will, again, I don't go there to discuss religion or politics or to support or not support anything, I go there to eat), and I've NEVER seen any such thing, let alone any toys, or anything Henson-related.

EDIT: You know what? Never mind... I guess this is another example of how this town is a hundred years behind as opposed to being ahead.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's a shame reading some of the hateful remarks on the Jim Henson Company's Facebook message. There are people out there that don't seem to understand that it's not an either/or issue. The Henson Company and others like it believe that Christians should be able to practice and gays should be able to get married. The Chick-Fil-A-minded companies believe Christians should have rights and gays shouldn't. They're the only ones forcing their beliefs upon others. The funny thing is that these self-professed bigots on facebook don't exactly know what they're boycotting or what JHC owns. Disney owns the Muppets, Marvel and Pixar and they've supported gay marriage for quite a while. There are so many companies that support this right.
It's that Cable News/Loudest Mouth Wins mentality. I hate this "You're either with us or against us" political scene oozing into our religions. While I do agree that Christians are cast in a negative light (due in part of the words and actions of the craziest that NO one wants to disavow), the fact that they think they're under Hitler levels of oppression (oh, didn't he kill people... like entire races of people he didn't like) is both disturbing and laughable. Yeah, some atheists can get very snarky and annoying, but that's push and push back passive aggressiveness. Some of them still blame zealots for Bush's second term.

But I have to ask... how come no one bats an eye or even roughly mentions when Christian Groups disavow and condemn the acts of zealots like Pat Robertson? There are those that do, and make no sound, and probably agree with JHC and some very liberal organizations. Heck, Jesus's teachings were pretty liberal in their own right.

However, I do think this. If Christians want to stop being treated like crazy bigots, something they don't like at all, why do they continuously defend the extreme minority that actually is crazy and bigoted and garbles religion to further their own hang ups? They had churches that basically said that it was okay to use Africans as slaves back in the 1800's, even though that's the most UnChristian like thing I can think of to happen to God's Children. The truth of the matter is, the head of these organizations are megalomaniacs. Religion is second thought to them. No one needs that. It puts Christianity in a bad light.

But the fact of the matter is this. JHC doesn't hate Christianity... they hate that a corporation is using their influence to further their political agenda, and they do not want to be associated with them because it would make themselves look bad. I hate Chic's actions for the same reason I hate all other corporations' actions... spending so much of their profit to buy government influence. If I were to buy up city hall to fix parking tickets, that would be a bribe and illegal.

What does give me a glimmer of hope is thus... when Archie, D.C., and Marvel added gay characters (mainly for publicity stunts, since no one really reads mainstream comics cuz they keep screwing them up), there was more support than complaint. And the complaints just made those organizations, mostly hate groups, look even dumber than ever before.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seriously, since when did Chick-fil-A start offering kid meals... with toys? I've been going to Chick-fil-A for YEARS (and yes, I still will, again, I don't go there to discuss religion or politics or to support or not support anything, I go there to eat), and I've NEVER seen any such thing, let alone any toys, or anything Henson-related.

They had crappy paper products and books. I almost tried to collect the Between the Lions story Cd's

dwayne1115

Reaction score
So if I where to come on here and say that I do not support Gay marriage would I be band from Muppet Central? If I said that I don't think what both chick fa lay or Henson has done was wrong would I be considered a bad Muppet fan?
I could care less if a Gay couple wants to get married or live together or whatever, I do have a problem with people saying that yes this is the way it's going to be whether you like it or not.
I have been raised in church where we where drilled and i do mean drilled on that everyone that was not living "Right" was going to the place where no one wants to go. We also had to preach and wittiness to people to lead them out of there wrongness. I think what I'm trying to say is that I'm tired of people pushing there own agenda and making people businesses and politicians saying yes we support that to and you should to. I don't want to support Gay marriage and I don't have to. That dose not mean that I hate Gay people because i do not I just don't have to approve of what they do.
I love the Muppets and the Jim Henson company and don't really care if they support gay marriage or not, I'm still going to be a fan, no matter what!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have been raised in church where we where drilled and i do mean drilled on that everyone that was not living "Right" was going to the place where no one wants to go. We also had to preach and wittiness to people to lead them out of there wrongness. I think what I'm trying to say is that I'm tired of people pushing there own agenda and making people businesses and politicians saying yes we support that to and you should to. I don't want to support Gay marriage and I don't have to.
I mean no disrespect about this, but you basically said you had an agenda pushed into you by someone else, but it's not right for anyone to push an opposing agenda into you.

You can see where I find that confusing.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean no disrespect about this, but you basically said you had an agenda pushed into you by someone else, but it's not right for anyone to push an opposing agenda into you.

You can see where I find that confusing.
Some churches use that "pushed"/"forceful" form of teaching; Pentecostals are notorious for it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Some churches use that "pushed"/"forceful" form of teaching; Pentecostals are notorious for it.
Which is what's WRONG with religion. There's no spirituality, there's no greater relationship with God or Christ... just the constant fear of a giant hand swatting you and sending you to "fiery place." I'm glad I was brought up with the Christian belief of treating others the way you want to be treated and helping others instead of "Do what's exactly written in this book, even the poorly translated stuff that's highly suspect of pushing King James' agenda that contradicts itself, or bad things will happen to you."

Who wants a religion where someone's always trying to punish you, and God hates everything? That's a totalitarian regime.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Ahh religion one of the most debatable topics ever...at least in this place it's done in a mature manner. I've seen so many discussions where people tear each other to shreds over it. :/

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Which is what's WRONG with religion. There's no spirituality, there's no greater relationship with God or Christ... just the constant fear of a giant hand swatting you and sending you to "fiery place." I'm glad I was brought up with the Christian belief of treating others the way you want to be treated and helping others instead of "Do what's exactly written in this book, even the poorly translated stuff that's highly suspect of pushing King James' agenda that contradicts itself, or bad things will happen to you."

Who wants a religion where someone's always trying to punish you, and God hates everything? That's a totalitarian regime.
That's what I've been saying: first of all, we're all God's children; second of all, God loves all people, and that even includes sinner, murderers, thieves, adulterers, atheists, agnostics, etc; thirdly, God gave us free will to do what we want, if we all literally bowed down to the kind of pressure some teach us, He wouldn't be a god, He would be a dictator; also, God tells us not to be judgemental of other people, so as such, there's a BIG example right there of Christians (again, it's mostly conservatives) being hypocrites by spending so much time bashing a group of people for who they are... which really begs the question, WHY are these so-called Christ-like people acting like homosexuality is the greatest sin ever? Matter of fact, why are they acting like it's the ONLY sin there is? Anytime other "offenders", such as that Colorodo shooter are in the news, they're like, "I pray that God will help these people", but when it comes to gays, it's a whole different manner?

Ahh religion one of the most debatable topics ever...at least in this place it's done in a mature manner. I've seen so many discussions where people tear each other to shreds over it. :/
I know, I once had an ENTIRE FORUM turn on me years ago for being a Christian while the rest of them were atheists.