Meeting at Schotsky's

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------
Very fun to read! You did capture that feeling of impending loss when one faces a piece of their past about to be gone forever, with the Muppy Gang all reminiscing and then going out for one last round. LOL at Ron, the Burgundy newsmuppet...but HEY! "The Daily Show" is the best fake news outlet and I won't let you say anything otherwise!! :news:

I liked the plot, loved the dialogue, giggled at the jokes throughout. Just a few niggles bugged me this time, but you're definitely improving your editing skills; I only caught one instance of "that of" this time around, and just a couple of incorrect verb tenses. ("might be bias" instead of "biased", for instance.)

Your ideas for stories are original and you stay true to the characters, even with the snappy Sorkinesque dialogue. Lots of fun! Thanks for another enjoyable ride. :smile:
-------------------

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the Daily Show is the best. It even has lyrics for its catchy theme song, as coined by their first guest, the Bill Murray.

But... The "Muppy" Gang? Kris, have you been bought off by J.P.'s dog? Is he now in charge of Nafrisco? *Ding.
We might have to launch an MC investigation. :search:

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Finally, I have the time to comment on the end of this story.

Great job! I love your fresh take on character dymanics between the famous five and I really hope that you write a story in continuation of this one so we can see more of your work. Love the back and forth between Rowlf and Piggy!

Keep up the great work!!

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Horribly sorry that I didn't respond to this when I had planned.

--------------
Very fun to read! You did capture that feeling of impending loss when one faces a piece of their past about to be gone forever, with the Muppy Gang all reminiscing and then going out for one last round. LOL at Ron, the Burgundy newsmuppet...but HEY! "The Daily Show" is the best fake news outlet and I won't let you say anything otherwise!! :news:
I've been in that situation, where a place I loved was turned into crap. The UA student to be exact.

Glad to see someone got my Anchorman reference. I have another idea with that, but it's a 'trailer' at this point, but I might but it up.

And yes, The Daily Show is the best fake news outlet ever; that was actually a jab at FOX news, which was actually a shout out to Piggy's own dissing of FOX news, which is probably one of the best statements I have ever heard her say. Ever.

I liked the plot, loved the dialogue, giggled at the jokes throughout.

Your ideas for stories are original and you stay true to the characters, even with the snappy Sorkinesque dialogue. Lots of fun! Thanks for another enjoyable ride. :smile:
-------------------
Glad everyone is enjoying the crazy ideas my brain thinks up. I'm still working on getting my fingers to slow down when my brain is thinking, but I'm hoping that the addition of the desk (which I have now!!) will aid in that.

So while no one has asked, there were a couple of scenes that I had thought up, but didn't put in, so I wrote them down in the chance that 1. someone should ask or 2. I find a spot for them later. So if anyone would like to see a lead in to the first Muppet Show or even that nasty incident in '75, let me know, I'll get an actual one shot (or two shot) out to the masses.

Thanks for reading!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I finally got around to reading this one and wanted to make a few comments. I mostly enjoyed the overall storyline and I thought that some of your dialogue was very good.

IMNTBHO, you do Rowlf better than the others, and he was very recognizable as himself. Scooter was almost-grown-up in this one (if you have to say it, Scooter, you probably aren't quite there yet) but familiar and it was nice to see him still able to haul out the old family-name trump card when necessary. Coming from the family that he did, Scooter is surprisingly sweet and decent, but I like the thought that he would step to the plate to defend his muppet family. That was a nice touch, as was Kermit finally allowing Scooter to "tag along." I think Kermit would make sure that Scooter knew how much was valued--Kermit is really good at saying that to his friends. (He was always a little more tongue-tied with women, hence him always using the scripts to interact with Piggy.)

While I enjoyed the story that you told (once I pushed myself into the whole "altered reality" thing), and there were things that you did well with all of the characters, there were some things about your characterizations that I wanted to mention. Let me say here—and later—and everywhere that I am very opinionated and bossy and hope I own it (my bossiness!) but that I am NOT trying to tell you how to write or what to write. I just wanted to point out some things for you to think about because I am happy to see that you are continuing to write more stories. (I’m getting to them, truly. I have two more papers to write and then I’ve done with my semester.) If you don’t agree with my assessments, tell me to jump in the creek, okay?

I agree with you that Gonzo was a bit of a lecher, but he was not quite the touchy-feely creep that you portray him to be here. He's more of a harmless opportunist. More disturbing than his casual groping of Piggy at every turn, however, was the very casual way that ALL of the men in the story ignore Gonzo’s inappropriateness and leave Piggy to fend for herself. It's not that she's not capable--it's simply that, despite pulling out her chair, opening her car door, etc., they don't insist that one of their own treat her with respect. A flirting insinuation or even an outright pass, Piggy could (and did) handle, but the repeated touching bothered me a little. (In my opinion—and in my hometown—if you touch a lady who has asked you to stop, somebody’s going to clean your clock—and I don’t mean with Windex.)

Fozzie was really pretty good, but in The Muppet Movie, Fozzie might be insecure about his talent and popularity, but he does not question his importance as Kermit's friend, not even when Miss Piggy arrives on the scene. In fact, when Piggy is shamelessly praising Kermit's leadership (perhaps that should be, when Kermit scripts Piggy to shamelessly praise him!), Fozzie stands up for himself. "Say 'The bear was magnificent,' he mumbles, but he is fighting for his share of praise--not his share of Kermit's attention. I thought it was an interesting idea to set up a rivalry between two of Frank’s most popular characters and between two of Kermit’s best companions, but I didn’t see that much in those character in TMS or subsequent movies. Only Fozzie’s moroseness about being left out of Kermit’s date with “Lady Holiday” addresses it, and that was a movie plot point, not something that actually happened between Kermit and Fozzie themselves. As a plot device, I think it was interesting, but I hope to see Fozzie and Piggy reach a more sincere level of friendship in your later stories.

While Miss Piggy was beautiful, brave and determined to win her frog, she had a very unenviable part to play. The frog she loves (and who is obviously interested in her—she’s not blind nor crazy or imagining it) is diffident to a fault, vacillating between trying to palm her off on his lecherous friend and being mad at her for receiving attention from the lecherous friend. His “No, I don’t like her like that” rejection smacks of high school, and we never saw Kermit be indifferent to Miss Piggy until Jim passed away. Kermit could hold his own against her tantrums, her flirting with other stars and her repeated demands that he move faster on the relationship front, but I never thought him indifferent to her. He finally objects because she flirts with JP, but it seemed to me to be more about the fact that Piggy was sealing the deal with the theater instead of Kermit, not that he was genuinely caring about whether or not she was “demeaned.” He certainly didn’t mind when Rowlf was belittling to her, or Fozzie whined about her, or Gonzo made pass after pass at her, touching her inappropriately more than once in his presence. As a gentleman and a frog, he should have told Gonzo to back off—if only out of courtesy.

I noticed that you had Kermit whispering a lot and wondered about that. Was there a reason he was whispering to his friends when they were all talking normally? I didn’t quite get that, and I was sort of amused that he was so grumpy all the time, even on the road with Fozzie. He seemed to live in a perpetual state of unhappiness that everyone around him felt compelled to appease. I agree that everyone is protective of him, but he’s not a continual pain in the fanny. He’s acerbic, not crabby; demanding, but not unresonable; snarky at time, but not mean.

I like the thought that they were able to save the deli—perhaps Chef can man the grill at some point. I can certainly see Camilla in a pink polyester waitress uniform taking orders in diner lingo.

You write well, Gina, and I hope you’ll do more of it. Take what I said with a grain of salt if it’s not useful…

Best wishes,
Ru

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
I finally got around to reading this one and wanted to make a few comments. I mostly enjoyed the overall storyline and I thought that some of your dialogue was very good.
Huzzah! I'm always quite happy when you get a change to read one of my fics and the fact that you take time out to do so (and that goes for the rest of you) is tre magnifique!

While I enjoyed the story that you told (once I pushed myself into the whole "altered reality" thing), and there were things that you did well with all of the characters, there were some things about your characterizations that I wanted to mention. Let me say here—and later—and everywhere that I am very opinionated and bossy and hope I own it (my bossiness!) but that I am NOT trying to tell you how to write or what to write. I just wanted to point out some things for you to think about because I am happy to see that you are continuing to write more stories. (I’m getting to them, truly. I have two more papers to write and then I’ve done with my semester.) If you don’t agree with my assessments, tell me to jump in the creek, okay?
I am prepared, madam. Let the games begin!

I agree with you that Gonzo was a bit of a lecher, but he was not quite the touchy-feely creep that you portray him to be here. He's more of a harmless opportunist. More disturbing than his casual groping of Piggy at every turn, however, was the very casual way that ALL of the men in the story ignore Gonzo’s inappropriateness and leave Piggy to fend for herself. It's not that she's not capable--it's simply that, despite pulling out her chair, opening her car door, etc., they don't insist that one of their own treat her with respect. A flirting insinuation or even an outright pass, Piggy could (and did) handle, but the repeated touching bothered me a little. (In my opinion—and in my hometown—if you touch a lady who has asked you to stop, somebody’s going to clean your clock—and I don’t mean with Windex.)
:confused: Gonzo touched her once - when they had just returned from New York (K&P) and Gonzo tried to put his hand on her leg; he quickly learned not to do that again. No one was ignoring it, especially not Kermit. He called Gonzo out on it -

Chap 5 - “Can’t you control your libido for five minutes?” Kermit chastised.

Gonzo may have flirted, but he knows where his boundaries are, especially with Piggy; he may toe the line, but that's about it. It Happen on Monday, I think, explains their relationship much better as frienemies; it was Gonzo's conversation with Kermit in Monday Dinner Date that ultimately caused IHM to happen.

Fozzie was really pretty good, but in The Muppet Movie, Fozzie might be insecure about his talent and popularity, but he does not question his importance as Kermit's friend, not even when Miss Piggy arrives on the scene. In fact, when Piggy is shamelessly praising Kermit's leadership (perhaps that should be, when Kermit scripts Piggy to shamelessly praise him!), Fozzie stands up for himself. "Say 'The bear was magnificent,' he mumbles, but he is fighting for his share of praise--not his share of Kermit's attention.
I was running with the idea that the movie was a Hollywood retelling, ie - some of it happened, but most of it was thrown in for action and adventure. You'll notice that I didn't add Piggy's praising to this (cause I'm not sure that actually happened and as you pointed it, could be something that Kermit threw in).

As a plot device, I think it was interesting, but I hope to see Fozzie and Piggy reach a more sincere level of friendship in your later stories.
You'll definitely want to check out The Great Beartender then, as it's a Piggy/Fozzie feature.

The Monday Series - It Happened on Monday, I think is a good representation of the fact that Fozzie and Piggy are friends, even if they don't outwardly show it (due in part to Frank Oz being both people); there is a moment towards the end that Fozzie rebels against this notion that he'll side with Kermit in an argument every time, when he's equally loyal to just about everyone.

While Miss Piggy was beautiful, brave and determined to win her frog, she had a very unenviable part to play. The frog she loves (and who is obviously interested in her—she’s not blind nor crazy or imagining it) is diffident to a fault, vacillating between trying to palm her off on his lecherous friend and being mad at her for receiving attention from the lecherous friend. His “No, I don’t like her like that” rejection smacks of high school, and we never saw Kermit be indifferent to Miss Piggy until Jim passed away. Kermit could hold his own against her tantrums, her flirting with other stars and her repeated demands that he move faster on the relationship front, but I never thought him indifferent to her. He finally objects because she flirts with JP, but it seemed to me to be more about the fact that Piggy was sealing the deal with the theater instead of Kermit, not that he was genuinely caring about whether or not she was “demeaned.” He certainly didn’t mind when Rowlf was belittling to her, or Fozzie whined about her, or Gonzo made pass after pass at her, touching her inappropriately more than once in his presence. As a gentleman and a frog, he should have told Gonzo to back off—if only out of courtesy.
I must, I must disagree.

:eek:

Oh calm down, I'm sure she wouldn't hurt me. Would you? :cry:

Kermit could be very indifferent to her during the show run, usually giving her want she wanted in exasperation or pain of death. His behavior may have been high school-ish, but I was also trying to write from the prospective of a guy (which I am not. I know, I've checked) and they really don't mature until they're, you know, 40. So, yes I could see Kermit being all, "I don't like her! Shut up!" with Gonzo, but also a little annoyed that Gonzo also has an interest in her.

Throughout the Muppet Show, I never saw Kermit be all that lovey dovey to her, only on the occassion when someone else was paying attention to her; it was only in the movies that he seemed to show any genuine feelings for her.

And speaking of Gonzo, again, I actually did omit the scene that would have led into that first sketch of TMS; the one with the Muppet Glee Club singing "Temptation", that was supposed to be a bet between Piggy and Gonzo, which would ultimately show that Gonzo was pretty much trying to help Piggy get Kermit's attention.

I noticed that you had Kermit whispering a lot and wondered about that. Was there a reason he was whispering to his friends when they were all talking normally? I didn’t quite get that, and I was sort of amused that he was so grumpy all the time, even on the road with Fozzie. He seemed to live in a perpetual state of unhappiness that everyone around him felt compelled to appease. I agree that everyone is protective of him, but he’s not a continual pain in the fanny. He’s acerbic, not crabby; demanding, but not unresonable; snarky at time, but not mean.
Um...throw me a bone on this, as I don't remember that.

If you mean that I had Kermit whispering to himself, then yes. I was trying to bring back snarky, sarcastic Kermit, who seems to have mellowed (as he should!) through the years.

My thought was that initially Kermit started on this journey for himself and ended up becoming the reluctant leader of a band of wackos, to be blunt and honest. By themselves, they are pretty fine (well, maybe not Gonzo), but together, they are just a straight jacket away from being certifiably crazy.

It wasn't that he was unhappy, it was that plans he had made seemed to be turned upside down when these guys came along. It's the straight man's lament, almost; where if he was just away from these crazy people, the world would be sane again.

But as we've noticed, Kermit might want sanity, but he's quite happy on the USS Insanity.

You write well, Gina, and I hope you’ll do more of it. Take what I said with a grain of salt if it’s not useful…

Best wishes,
Ru
I always taken concrit was being helpful, so no worries. :smile: Again, I'm pleased and honored that you'd read all the crazy ideas that I seem to dump on all of you, so the pleasure is always mine.

The one downside I always have is that what I see in my head is not always what you all see in your heads when you read; so when I have an idea that I think makes sense, it might not make any sense to you, the reader, so I'm always happy when someone sees something that I didn't or that my mind went with without telling me.

Hopefully you'll get around to reading the Monday series, which I think takes a much closer look at the relationships that surround the pig and frog and what I hope will answer some of the questions/concerns you had about Gonzo and Fozzie.

Glad you read it and glad you enjoyed it!!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
About that Monday series, *waits for Bought It to be updated.

And there were some genuine nice moments between Kermit and Piggy on the show. The one example I point out, because it's one I myself like, is when Kermit compliments Piggy after she sings "Just An Old Fashioned Girl", it plays on MCR so you've probably heard it.

:news: We now return you back to your regularly-scheduled fanfics.