Crazy Muppet Treasure Island DVD Review

mupcollector1

Reaction score
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2443828#showReviews

LOL I was both in shock and laughing at this crazy review that I found when looking up the new Muppet merchandise on Toys R US' web site. If fact I complaint to the website because...well look where this beautiful movie is catatorized on the site. That's pretty sad. I personally loved this movie. Written by Jerry Juhl, Directed by Brian Henson. Beautiful Movie. One of the best things The Muppets have ever done after Jim passed.

Anyway I figure this review was so ridiculous that I felt the need to bring it up, even for a laugh. This person makes the movie sound gruesome. She said there's a swear in the movie, all I remember is H*LL. And come on, it's not like it's first time The Muppets said that world. lol Kermit on the CBS pitch tape 1975, SNL Land of Gorch, Mac Davis episode thinging "It's so hard to be humble", even Janice's line in Happiness Hotel in The Great Muppet Caper. lol

All I could think of is Rizzo's satirical line in the movie "He Died, And this is suppose to be a kids movie." lol That sums up the satire on the stereotypical view, straight from the rat's mouth. lol

Hubert

Reaction score
First off, that DVD categorization is pathetic. Just plain pathetic.

Second off, where is there a curse word in the movie? Because I've watched that thing a bajillion times and never heard it...

And finally, I was always a bit surprised that MTI did garner a G rating, since it even had a sword fight and stuff. Another example of how the rating system has changed over the years.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Hey, nobody ever said the Muppet were strictly kids' stuff. In fact, Jim Henson made sure he reached all age groups. And going back to what Hubert said, it is interesting that this movie got a G rating. Makes you wonder what sort of a rating a lot of older Muppet stuff would get nowadays.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I always considered The Muppets to be classic character slapstick comedy. Kind of like a revival to the Golden age of entertainment like The Marx Brothers where you can be funny and relate to adults with no limitations and still no need for obvious obscurity to make your point. Even Jim Henson said in the 80s how Executives and Networks weren't taking responsablity to how the media influences our culture. Which I totally agree. Even reading the rules of the FCC, rule #3 says that Obscurity and Profanity is forbidden unless presented in an intellectual, political, scientific, or artsy manner which totally makes sense to me. But look what we have now...:rolleyes: (I got to start playing with these Muppet smiles more on there, there's so many new ones and they are so adorable. lol)
Even watching the classic Muppet movies and The Muppet Show, more and more I'm getting all the adult situations and hidden messages which is amazing. I can see how someone could walk into Wal-Mart or whatever and see a cartoon or puppet face and not think much of it because unfortunately this culture isn't as artsy savy as they were centuries ago when puppets and cartoons did more political satire and painters like Dali Amazed people, even Shakespear. To The Golden Age of the Nickelodeon, there was no rating system and films had talent and class. Even creative control too. I've heard millions of times from people who say It's not about art, it's about making money blah blah blah. Even Jim had to fight the system to bring out great art. Even Mel Brooks was rejected to direct his first movie The Producers, but he took a pay cut just to direct and make art. A quality in the mainstream which is very rare today.

I'm glad there's message forums like this, it's not the same as actual social groups but at least I'm taking to like minded people :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
To be fair, forget the fact that there are fuzzy Muppets on the case, why would someone expect to buy ANYTHING that says, "Treasure Island" on it and NOT have violence, swearing and someone dying in it. Is she not at ALL literalaturally educated?

However, when I was a kid, my parents watched the movie before they let me see it, and decided I should wait a couple of years because of the warrior-pigs and the swearing. So its strange to, once again, blame the movie and the packaging for the woman's child seeing something she felt was unfit.

Hubert

Reaction score
To be fair, forget the fact that there are fuzzy Muppets on the case, why would someone expect to buy ANYTHING that says, "Treasure Island" on it and NOT have violence, swearing and someone dying in it. Is she not at ALL literalaturally educated?
"Yo ho ho! We're off to find the tresure! Let's go! We have to go 10 paces! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10! Here's a box! Is it in the box? No...but here's a clue! It says to go 3 paces left. 1, 2, 3! Should we go through this door? Yeah! Look, there's a big X on the wall! X marks the spot! Let's dig through it and find the treasure! Yaay! We found it! Good job counting and digging today!"

Drtooth

Reaction score
And finally, I was always a bit surprised that MTI did garner a G rating, since it even had a sword fight and stuff. Another example of how the rating system has changed over the years.
Spaceballs was rated PG and has at least one "S" and one "F." Stuff that you can barely get away with in a PG-13 movie now.

But to say that, if I can even remember them saying that biblical term, they used it in the biblical sense, not a "What the &&&& is going on here?" the case where that actually is a cuss word.

Really, either this woman was the grand queen of the prudes or thinking she was buying Elmo's Video Fun volume 329. Either way, idiot.

Though, to be fair, given the subject matter of the book, this was a pretty dark Muppet movie, considering someone got shot in the opening number. Not to mention the multiple references to death, and as we all know, we don't want kids to know about death until it hits someone close to them (paraphrase Homer Simpson). :rolleyes:

Hubert

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think that they need to start putting disclaimers on movies that say "If your child is exposed to content not suitable to their age, we are not to blame..."