Crazy Muppet Treasure Island DVD Review

Beauregard

Reaction score
"Oh, **** Jim, you know I couldn't shoot you."

But the UK version does have "How does she bloody do that?" redubbed to "Blooming!" (Thank goodness.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think that they need to start putting disclaimers on movies that say "If your child is exposed to content not suitable to their age, we are not to blame..."
I think a more suitable disclaimer would be "Muppets are not all Sesame Street, stop trying to buy everything with a Muppet on it because your 3 year old thinks they're all Elmo."

Or "Your children aren't made of glass, and will be exposed to MUCH worse in the real world than anything in the entertainment world, even the Saw movies."

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how parents in our culture today still think of the television set is the babysitter? If a child were to watch something that had adult content they don't understand fully, the adult should be right there to explain it in a very nice educational way instead of taking off with the car doing whatever. Trust me, I've got some bad parents in my neighborhood which little 6 year olds throwing dangerious things at each other while the parents either took off with the car or watching tv, and I've seen plenty of times very obese mothers screaming and swearing at their children without leaving their door. (Horay yelling solves every social problem! lol (sarcasm) lol) I've seem some crazy stuff in my neighborhood relating to little kids getting hurt when the parents don't care, once I've seen this kid under 6 playing with some kind of powertool (real, not a toy) and the mother shouts "YOU HANDLE THAT RIGHT OR I'M NOT BUYING YOU THAT VIDEO GAME TODAY!". I can just ramble on and on about all the crazy junk I've seen. To summarize it, you rarely seen a happy non-dysfunctional family. It's really sad. My mother was the only good parent in my family and my dad...too grim to mention in this thread. When I become a parent, I want to take that operationally to be a parent who would love to do fun things and educate their children, share literature, and help them in times of need and be as emotional supportive as possible.

But yeah I totally agree with you Dr. Tooth 100%, every single time someone sees a Muppet or a media style puppet in that matter, they think it's Elmo. I remember Sesame before Elmo, but I won't get into that right now. lol Like I mentioned, this culture is full of philistines. People who reject art and intelligence all together and rely on modern day brain numming tv instead of watching Discovery or reading a book.

Could you imagine decades from now, some parent going into a Salvation Army store or a $5.00 DVD in at Wal-Mart and finding South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut or Beavis & Butt-head Do America and thinking "Eh, something for the kids to give me some free time" then discovering it watching it with their kids, they probably learned some new dialog, and the raging parent goes on Amazon.com reviews and starts ranting (There's plenty of bad reviews on Amazon). lol Oh Man. Personally those two shows (in this case the films) are my all time favorite. lol :stick_out_tongue:
Ironcly similar to the plot of the SP movie, there's an early South Park episode called "Death" that satirizes on how parents complain instead or raising their children. It's my #1 favorite episode. lol

I also like to reference the Dinosaurs episode SMOO! (Could we say this on Muppet Central? lol couldn't resist lol) Great episode and it satirizes profanity on television and how Baby Sinclair learns a new word and how Earl fights the network to the point where he ignores everything else and the cheif elders decides to ban the two main swear words from Pangea. Then the other parents go over bored and inspire the government to ridiculously censor everything. "The number 2 will be banned and now it's 1, 3, 4, 5. Sue is now Milly, No one should ever discuss or question this list, etc." Really Funny episode.

Sure in the Golden Age kids when go to the movies themselves but there's nothing wrong with that, they also spent quality time with their parents,

Like I mentioned the TV is the official parent these days. It's sad that there's no parent to help put it into context and just say "Why? Because I said so." instead of answering their questions...Sorry, I'm starting to ramble lol You get the idea though. lol

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Some people just live in bubble a and refuse to ever leave it. What can I say? I'd much rather have my kids exposed to Muppets then Dora. *shivers* That is is if I had kids. :embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Could you imagine decades from now, some parent going into a Salvation Army store or a $5.00 DVD in at Wal-Mart and finding South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut or Beavis & Butt-head Do America and thinking "Eh, something for the kids to give me some free time" then discovering it watching it with their kids, they probably learned some new dialog, and the raging parent goes on Amazon.com reviews and starts ranting (There's plenty of bad reviews on Amazon). lol Oh Man. Personally those two shows (in this case the films) are my all time favorite. lol lol
The difference is, and it is the one point I'll give that person, the MTI movie had a G rating, and I'd consider it almost dark enough for a PG rating, but not quite. But South Park has a hard R rating on the back, I don't think anyone is that off the ball enough to confuse it for a kid's program. Especially since SP and B&B have some notoriety behind them. And unlike a certain family of Yellow people who live in Springfield, they didn't aggressively market either shows to kids. Simpsons do have a history of kid's clothing, video games only kids would tolerate, and juice boxes and stuff.

But I agree with everything you said. Television shouldn't be a babysitter. That's why we have inferior preschool kid's programming these days (Curious George, Dino Train, Sid and Pajamanimals excluded of course). I know there's a difference between having to sit them in front of television to get a load of laundry done and parking them their all day to have martinis with the other well to do moms. Personally, I don't like how Sesame Street is marketed towards babies since they can't appreciate the show if they can't imprint on it yet.

Hubert

Reaction score
Something interesting though: since things like MTI would probably garner a PG rating nowadays, I wonder if maybe at some point MPAA needs to somehow re-rate movies so that newer movie ratings and older ones are in sync. It would cause a slew of confusion, but I wonder if it could be on the horizon someday.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Something interesting though: since things like MTI would probably garner a PG rating nowadays, I wonder if maybe at some point MPAA needs to somehow re-rate movies so that newer movie ratings and older ones are in sync. It would cause a slew of confusion, but I wonder if it could be on the horizon someday.
Then the only thing G rated would probably be Barney. There are4 a LOT of very dark G rated films out there... Disney's Hunchback, no matter how kid friendly and watered down it was from the original version was decidedly dark (even I think it should have been PG). But the Lion King, if rerated would get a solid PG... heck, I don't think ANY Disney movie would keep a G rating... maybe Pooh. The G rating is dying due to extreme prudishness and fear that every animated movie with a G rating is somehow going to give them the "Diabetus." Yet PG is so meaningless now, it's impossible not to get one, and they even force in "rude humor" to get a PG. But PG now contains things that might disturb 2 year olds that shouldn't be seeing movies anyway. Because ALL kids are 2 year olds and incredibly "impressionable," read Too Dumb to Live, unlike adults.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Yeah, I think people are too careful about movies now a days. Look at the Golden Age of movies, kids would take the bus themselves or whatnot and pay 10 cents to see a double feature and awesome violent cartoons. They can sit through a James Cagney Gangster movie and not become a criminal with guns. But now a days there's so many funny dark gags taken out of Looney Tunes and Tex Avery cartoons and something like Angels with Dirty Faces would probably get a TV14 rating now a days. I think it has something to do with culture and some kind of social science. I heard in Europe they have uncensored TV even during the day when kids watch it and they're not effected by it. Even the 40s generation, they didn't end up criminals. But if you tried to show something like that (well they do on cartoon network and AMC (do they still show old films)) And I mean UNCUT, they would be offended. Yes it was a different time, there were a few prejudices and grim gags but it was a product of it's time. Perhaps the problem with the modern culture is audience education. Sometimes one needs to be educated to understand something otherwise they would be full of negative emotions of confusion, fear, anger, hatred, protest and sometimes people can't control themselves or which not to understand what they are confused about or the subject matter of what they were trying to do. Plus there's a bit of confusion in some people with fiction vs reality. But there's is one thing that I can say something positive about this situation, The New Three Stooges Movie. I loved it. It was very true to the actual Stooges, no holds back. Then before the credits (which most people conform to leaving the theater unlike me lol) the filmmakers come out and explain that everything was fiction, no one got hurt and to not try stuff like this at home.

But what's sad is that certain things are a problem now but wasn't back them. In terms of violence and slapstick comedy.

But yeah I do somewhat agree with rating systems to be updated. Perhaps a more advanced one. Like the NC17 films I've seen (Meet The Feebles, a certain Trey Parker film which name I can't mention on this form lol) were more R rated now a days. Even Fritz the Cat is more R rated today then X when it was originally released in 1972. But yeah, there should be more specific ones for certain age groups. Like movies for little kids to go see, and G of course by it's original definition is general audiences. Like I went to see MTI when I was under 8. That was so exciting! Though when Muppet Christmas Carol came out, I was too young to see that, Even though I was a Muppet fan since God knows when, it was Statler's head as the doorknocker that scared me. In fact I was afraid to watch that movie until early high school. lol Then I realized. It must be just a close up lense, it's just Statler's head with a loud moan and the door is a little rubbery. lol Didn't they have to cut out the whole Scrooge heartache song when originally released due to a worry that kids might find it boring or might not understand that adult situation or something like that then it was put back in when the VHS came out? I heard or read that somewhere.

But yeah, there should be a rating like there is on video games now a days like Early Childhood or something like that. But it's sad that there's barely anything that parents can enjoy with their kids. And that I believe was what Jim Henson tried his best to do with a lot of his work, even the Muppet sketches and songs on Sesame Street.

Speaking of The Simpsons, I remember when that show was good. Sure there was lots of satire in it but like Dinosaurs, there was a lot of moral values. Even shows like South Park mainly aimed at adults has it's share of morality and philosophy and it kind of reminded me of Jim's quote about how me believed in the media on how it should be an influence for good. Totally agree. And we need more of that, especially in the days of Reality TV shows and Celebrities getting into trouble. Oh Brother. lol