Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------
I actually used to love renting the low-budget awful horror flicks which Redbox carries en masse...until my bank account was hijacked from one. Beware those wireless transmitters around your debit cards, folks.

-------------

D'Snowth

Reaction score
-----------
I actually used to love renting the low-budget awful horror flicks which Redbox carries en masse...until my bank account was hijacked from one. Beware those wireless transmitters around your debit cards, folks.

-------------
And this is why it's not always a smart idea to shop electronically... especially online shopping, that's just identity theft waiting to happen.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hackers will hack anything. I'm sure they can hack just as well through a Netflix account. Too bad the thing doesn't have a pay for rental upfront, but I guess that's supposed to be a failsafe in case someone doesn't return the disks.

But seriously.... the more I look at these things, the more they're filled with Mockbusters and less and less ACTUAL movies on the list. Heck, the only Madagascar they have at those things are the video games.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Okay, I actually discovered that The Oogieloves was originally meant to be a film adaptation of Teletubbies, but the creator refused for whatever reason.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, I actually discovered that The Oogieloves was originally meant to be a film adaptation of Teletubbies, but the creator refused for whatever reason.
Teletubbies could not work as a film. There's no way they could make it work. Take away the fact that a movie based on a TV show has to deal ways around being a 90 minute episode...

There's NO comprehensible narrative, let alone basis for a plot. A movie has to have a plot, even a loose one. Even the horrid parody movies have a thin thread of a plot (in that case, half the movies that came out in the last year have to defeat the other half of the movies that came out in the last year)...

but Teletubbies is basically barely verbal creatures in an overly safe environment. The episodes usually focus on them acting weird and saying "again again again" and doing the same thing over again at least 2 or 3 more times. 30 minutes of that drives anyone over the age of 2 nuts. 90 minutes, no matter how popular they are, is a recipe for franchise killing.

Oogieloves, as terrible as they are, at least have the ability to talk to each other and exist in an environment where they're not the only things there. THEY can tell stories, albeit terrible ones.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh... summer is over. Box office gross for all movies are slipping. The core audience of this is probably in preschool or daycare of some kind, not that they really were itching to see it anyway.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Eh... summer is over. Box office gross for all movies are slipping. The core audience of this is probably in preschool or daycare of some kind, not that they really were itching to see it anyway.
Still, I just like seeing this fail for some sick reason.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But it would be more of an impressive feat to fail at a time when people were actually seeing movies.

This really speaks to the confidence this movie had. Last DAY of August. August is the death month for most movies. Sure, that's when people see the blockbusters at dollar cinemas and second run theaters, but it's the beginning of the slow September-November movie months. Paranorman's not getting its due because of it's August release.

But the LAST Day of August as well. It was clearly designed for those who aren't even in preschool yet. But there are a LOT of better mommy and toddler activities than spending 10 bucks or more to see a low rent bargain home video project like this. They KNEW they'd get clobbered if they were released in a busy month. There was clearly enough Afro Circus and Prehistoric Pirates that the 4-6 year olds like (and frequently shout in theaters to... I can attest to that),. So they actually thought that the quiet end months would do them better. I don't see this doing well ANY time of the year. Even if a petulant little kid forced the entire family to watch it. Even Petulant kids want to avoid this... WOW!