Dead Puppets Society: Female Muppet Chapter

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We all know that Abby Cadabby was the result of trying to add a prominent female Muppet character to join the ranks of what's considered a mostly all-male club, however, over the years, there's been a number of different female Muppets that were added to the cast, especially throughout the 90s and 2000s, when more thought was given to consideration. During this time period, the likes of Zoe and Rosita have survived, but there are countless others who didn't... I guess you could say that the purpose of this thread is to compile something of a comprehensive list of female Muppets that they tried to add to the cast of SST, but ultimately ended up becoming a part of what Marty Robinson calls the "Dead Puppets Society". Off the top of my head, I can think of...
  • Elizabeth (Stephanie D'Abruzzo) A green AM girl from 1998 to 2001, with a slight New York accent; adored her pet kitten Sparkles (later Little Murray Sparkles, whom appears to be just a generic cat now). Retired/rejected possibly due to Stephanie's involvement with Avenue Q.
  • Lulu (Stephanie D'Abruzzo) Originally a blue monster with blonde hair, but later a lavendar monster with purple hair created by Stephanie to add a new female monster to the street. She was definitely dropped because of Stephanie's involvement with AQ.
  • Merry Monster (Joey Mazzarino) A little yellow monster with red, feathery hair, who had a soft and mousy voice, but could growl really really loudly. She was used throughout the 90s, though I hear tell people felt she was a little obnoxious.
  • Roxie Marie (Fran Brill) Biff's niece. I believe she was added a year or two before ATC came into play, but she was certainy phased out by Season 30.
  • Ruby Monster (Camille Bonara) A tomboyish orange monster who was on the street during the very late 80s through early 90s... most probably remember her from the Monsterpiece Theater presentation of "Guys and Doll".

andyf

Reaction score
I heard the reason Roxy Marie was created was to replace Sully. They were originally going to retire Sully when Richard Hunt passed away. Even tho Sully never talked, he was still Richard's charachter. So they wanted to give Biff a new sidekick. Sully did end up popping up a few times again in the mid and late 90's. I think altogether 3 times after Richard died. Biff was being used less and less as the 90's came to an end. So that's around the same time Roxy Marie was dropped. Some more discontinued female charachters were:

Deena and Pearl: they were supposed to represent a female version of Ernie and Bert, and they lived in a cave together. Im not sure why they were dropped but i'm guessing it was because of Karen Prell no longer working on Sesame Street.

Stella: She was a female construction worker who was around for only one Season. 1990-1991 She appeared in a handful of episodes but was quickly dropped from the show.

Mona: Telly's sister who was around for a few seasons in the early 80's. Not sure why she was dropped from the show. But she can be seen in a plaza sesamo insert with Ernie and Bert. Her and Telly both were also in one of Kermit's newsflash skits on what to do on a rainy day.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I didn't know that about Roxie Marie, but it does kind of make sense, I know there's been discussion before of just about anybody could really play Sully since Sully never even spoke, but at the same time, he WAS Richard's character, so yeah...

And now that you mention it, Deena and Pearl could have also been dropped partly because of Brian Muehl's departure, because I know once he left, they pretty much scrambled to find replacements for his characters.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't "Mona" later become Ingrid?

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Anybody remember Elmo's cousin from one of the "Slimey on the moon" episodes? I know she was only in that episode, but I'd still like to mention her. I remember seeing her as a kid and thinking, "why is this Elmo look-a-like bouncing around so much?".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Would Alice Snuffleupagus count? I don't even remember the last time I ever saw her on the street.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Would Alice Snuffleupagus count? I don't even remember the last time I ever saw her on the street.
The latest time I saw Alice Snuffleupagus was in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade in 2008.
Since the following year's parade, Alice hasn't been seen in the float.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What about her appearances on the show? Anyone remember when she was last seen on the street with her big brother?

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
What about her appearances on the show? Anyone remember when she was last seen on the street with her big brother?
I know that that latest time Alice appeared in a street scene was in Episode 3874 (Season 31) where Alice was interrupting Big Bird and Snuffy singing the Alphabet song.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Wasn't there an episode in the early 2000's where BB & Snuffy were trying to find the owner of a baby shoe & tried Alice? Thats the last time I saw her.

That said, I really want Roxy to make a comeback,lol.