What do the Swedes think of the Swedish Chef?

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
No that is not what he's saying..Mock Swedish doesn't exist so no possible way anyone can translate that.....Just some person trying to look cool "They can translate the Chef" why would Jim and Co. decide to make the Chef say all those things?
Mock Swedish was made up as they went along...not a real language

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Its possible that someone is trying to translate things to look cool, but its also possible that someone with way to much time on their hands listened for things that sound vaguely Swedish and tried to match them up with what it sounded like he was saying.

And wouldn't you know it, that is exactly the case...

Swedish YouTube user Emanuel Tilly has uploaded clips of the Swedish Chef from the original Muppet Show alongside transcriptions of what it sort of sounds like he might be saying in actual Swedish. These subtitles don’t perfectly match TSC’s nonsense—they’re “translated” into Swedish based on both the sound of the word and the context—but they do begin to give a sense of what he sounds like to the Swedish ear.
Although, the fact the article says it had to correct itself because it was calling the Muppet Show "The Muppets Show" does speak volumes.

Also, people need to lighten up and not be so offended by things like this :/

Teheheman

Reaction score
Although, I understand why people from Sweden would be upset about the Swedish Chef. I mean, if I told people I'm from Sweden, and had people ask me about that all the time, and doing the accent and what-not, I'd be a little upset too.
Also, YES, I know that it seems weird to translate the Swedish Chef into English, but some guy did it. I don't know if he was trying to look cool or what-not, but that's what the article said. He's a Swedish guy and pulled the words that sounded Swedish and translated them. Jim Henson would be proud lol. I mean, that somebody took the time and effort to try and translate what the Swedish Chef was saying from nonsensical words to Swedish to English. I know I'd be impressed.

Daniel

Slackbot

Reaction score
Funnily enough, when I write for the Swedish Chef I actually do stick some Swedish into his dialogue. For the bits you need to understand I'll use Mock Swedish, and for the babble I'll run the English line through the Google translator, knowing that it'll come out pretty ungrammatical, and then decorate it with extra accent symbols. I didn't think anyone would notice or care, but then I got some feedback through fanfiction.net from a Swedish reader who thanked me for giving him actual Swedish lines (and informing me that a few of the accents I used were Norwegian, not Swedish). Checking my stats, I saw that that month I got a lot of hits from Sweden on my Muppet fics. Go figure!

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Seriously though people need to get a life it's meant for comedy. :rolleyes:

Teheheman

Reaction score
Eh... I thought they just dub him as some other country, like Germany does. He's the Danish Chef over there, right?

Never once did I see him make a danish.
Maybe he should make one if there's a new Muppet Show or movie

Daniel