Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Looks like that off-brand Finding Nemo/SharkTale knock-off that also ripped ME off The Reef has gotten a sequel now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It came out like 2006 or 2007 or so, and I believe it went straight to DVD, but it's a CGI animated movie about fish and sharks and stuff, and the main character looks a little like Nemo, and the plot seems to have been inspired SharkTale, and the specific story of a little community of fish being terrorized by a gang of sharks was basically a minimalist cartoon I did back in 2003, so yeah, they rip off two major motion pictures, and a rank amateur, and now it's got a sequel on DVD as well.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Wow, it's amazing how many people don't understand the term "originality".

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's no such thing as originally any more :stick_out_tongue:
No... there is. It's just where you wouldn't expect it. Though, let's be honest. True originality hasn't existed since Greek Myth telling days. All the things that make a story have been around for eons. A basic plot is someone has to get something, get somewhere, get somebody, and face up against an antagonist to do it and win. That's basic story telling structure. And there are only so many ways to play with a story and characters. A lot of what we call "ripoffs" are quite unintentional.

But in this case, it IS intentional, because The Reef is basically a mockbuster, albeit a higher profile one than Ratatoing. Still, I don't see why The Reef was popular enough to get a sequel. Also, if it was a 2-D animated thing from the late 80's/early 90's, we'd be gushing about it, even if it sucked.

It looks prime for Redbox, all I can say.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Seems like Box Office Mojo hasn't been keeping track of the gross since last Thursday. Or are they usually like that?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't help you there. I doubt it got that much more. I hear some places just pulled the mess all together.

I swear, those Film Snob guys or whatever they are must be right. The budget must've been big ONLY because they had to bribe theaters to show the thing. There's NO WAY this should have been released theatrically.