Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Probably second tier budget cinemas. But consider this... the movie was released about 3 weeks ago. For a film to disappear THAT fast, that is a feat in and of itself. Most films, even flops, at least get a full month in theaters.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Probably second tier budget cinemas. But consider this... the movie was released about 3 weeks ago. For a film to disappear THAT fast, that is a feat in and of itself. Most films, even flops, at least get a full month in theaters.
Elmo in Grouchland was down to around 200 in its final weekends. So yeah, it is amazing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm wondering...

Were the stupid little plastic wands part of the budget? That would explain a lot. I couldn't imagine how much they cost to make, but I'm sure en masse they cost more than the actual film did.

And now they're going to end up in landfills like E.T. game carts... good going Genius God of Marketing.

mr3urious

Reaction score
What's also crazy is that Viselman wants to make sequels, even after the pathetic box office returns! Hopefully he'll wise up and let them rot in direct-to-video Hades as he should have done with the first movie.

Drtooth said:
Were the stupid little plastic wands part of the budget? That would explain a lot. I couldn't imagine how much they cost to make, but I'm sure en masse they cost more than the actual film did.
Like you said before, most of the budget must have also went to bribing theaters to show it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What's also crazy is that Viselman wants to make sequels, even after the pathetic box office returns! Hopefully he'll wise up and let them rot in direct-to-video Hades as he should have done with the first movie.
The sad thing is, as I said earlier, it probably would have found more of an audience as a DTV than it did as a film. I'm pretty sure that NO theater chain will even touch another Oogieloves movie no matter how much they bribe them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I haven't heard about wands. Were they giveaways for the kids?
They were mentioned in the video review mr3urious posted a few pages ago. One of the reviewers got so mad at the movie, he snapped it in half and spread glow in the dark goo everywhere.

Slackbot

Reaction score

Drtooth

Reaction score
I actually found a positive, even gushy review of the film. It's amusing what lengths the theater went to to put the kids in the right frame of mind to see the film. It involves clowns, toys, and massive amounts of sugar. However, for a premiere party, it sure was sparsely attended, to judge from the photos.
Yeah, I'm borderline diabetic... that pushed me over to dangerous territory. Especially the pink icing she had for a font. Hurt my eyes and I barely could read the darn thing. Seems the kids loved it because they were bribed. It would take a truck full of vintage M.U.S.C.L.E.S. with the rare black hole Sunshine in the assortment to get me to even consider seeing that toxic waste.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Oogieloves Writer Defends Film From 'Oogie-Haters'
Screenwriter Scott Stabile has read the pans and box office bomb reports and anti-Oogieloves screeds, and yet! He's got nothing but (Oogie)love for even his harshest critics: "As all of us adults know, we live in a tense and troubled world. Young kids will be exposed to plenty of real-life scares and violence on TV, in video games, on the computer and in daily life. Why do we have to expose preschoolers to anything but innocence and love in a 90-minute movie? Why isn’t it enough to show a gentle world where people are kind and help one another, in hopes that young kids mimic those sentiments over fighting and jealousy and revenge?" {Scott Stabile via Oogieloves on Facebook}
He makes good points. Now please excuse me while I go watch Fraggle Rock.