Underrated Movies

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I think that ParaNorman is getting....well what it deserves. It's a really fun movie,but it's getting good reviews and was the highest family film when it had opened, so I think it did pretty well. I liked it a lot, but I did prefer Coraline. (And no my Other Mother is not standing behind me with her buttons)
I don't understand what that comment means. I liked both films. ParaNorman is doing okay, but it is hands-down the most beautiful looking stop motion animated film ever made. Coraline's visuals are a close second, but I agree that film has the better story. Both come from the same company of course. I just think PN should be doing better than $77M worldwide by now so that's why I think it's underrated.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I mean that it's doing far from terrible, and it's a good movie. It gets the good reviews it deserves, and the money it deserves. I understand what you mean by underrated though. I feel the same way about a lot of my favorite films that other people consider to be just right. ParaNorman is by no means overrated. I just think it's right where it belongs. Not quite a masterpiece, but a gosh darn good film that's worth repeating when on DVD.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I mean that it's doing far from terrible, and it's a good movie. It gets the good reviews it deserves, and the money it deserves. I understand what you mean by underrated though. I feel the same way about a lot of my favorite films that other people consider to be just right. ParaNorman is by no means overrated. I just think it's right where it belongs. Not quite a masterpiece, but a gosh darn good film that's worth repeating when on DVD.
This is the "underrated" thread. I never claimed ParaNorman was overrated at all! :eek:

I believe the worldwide take should have exceeded $100M worldwide by now. That's why I think it is underrated even though it is generally well-liked among those who saw it. I don't understand why Coraline figures into the enjoyment of this film. You can like both. They come from the same place. I just think it should be making close to that box office sum too. Heck, I think Coraline should have made much more than it did and would list it as an underrated film too! We'll see how ParaNorman fares in a couple more weeks. It is my opinion that it is underrated and I'm sticking with that! :mad:

Drtooth

Reaction score
ParaNorman doesn't seem to be doing quite the business it should. The animation is stunning and it has a great message of tolerance. Some people claim it's too spooky for kids, but there are also creepy scenes in Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and many other classic animated features. It gets my vote for one of this year's most magnificent underrated films.
Well, I wouldn't take the littlest ones to see that... or Rango, for that matter. I'd rather take them to see that than the other film that came out on Oogust.

But Paranorman is why I always say NEVER release a film in August. No one sees films in August anymore. Especially since Summer movie season starts in April now. :rolleyes: It really is a shame that it's so low key release like Scott Pilgrim was (and that was a shame all its own). But I guess they couldn't release it in September (Finding Nemo rerelease and Hotel Transylvania) or October (Frankenweenie) due to that competition. July would have seen it smothered by Dark Knight and Ice Age. It really does stink when they have to release the real gold off season.

I'll also add Pirates: Band of Misfits to the underrated pile. While not as gorgeous as Paranorman was, it had that old Aardman charm. But seriously. The ONLY product tie in that got was Langer's Apple Juice. Not to mention it disappeared in the box office quite fast.

I love the fact we had 3 stop motion films this year, but it looks like Frankenweenie is the only one that will get any attention.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
This is the "underrated" thread. I never claimed ParaNorman was overrated at all! :eek:

I believe the worldwide take should have exceeded $100M worldwide by now. That's why I think it is underrated even though it is generally well-liked among those who saw it. I don't understand why Coraline figures into the enjoyment of this film. You can like both. They come from the same place. I just think it should be making close to that box office sum too. Heck, I think Coraline should have made much more than it did and would list it as an underrated film too! We'll see how ParaNorman fares in a couple more weeks. It is my opinion that it is underrated and I'm sticking with that! :mad:
I respect that!

Animal'sBunny

Reaction score
Hmmm.... I like Hunchback of Notre Dame a lot and it's underrated... Well everyone else hates them but I like them... Batman and Robin and Batman Forever... please don't hurt me...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Batman and Robin and Batman Forever... please don't hurt me...
Nah... you've been through enough punishment! :wink:

Actually, Batman Forever isn't terrible... I just really felt disappointed by Two Face just being a replacement Joker instead of a deeper, angrier character.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It seems like most people lost faith in Don Bluth as the 90s progressed.

Ignatz

Reaction score
One of my favourite films that nobody I know has heard of is the 1963 Tony Hancock vehicle The Punch and Judy Man, it's sad, moving and funny at the same time.