Found new stuff in The Great Muppet Caper

mupcollector1

Reaction score
The baseball scene is probably my 2nd favorite part of the movie. So screwball wacky. lol When was the last time we all seen Louis Kazagger? Was it in 1992 when he had a rare appearance on the Today show where he was arguing with a baseball? Only if the Palisades action figures were still being made, he would have been a nice collectible.
:smile: I still remember The Muppet Show sketch where he was covering Wig Racing "Do you use a Shampoo ?" "No sir, I do not use Shampoo for my wigs, I only use real poo. Nothing but the best poo for my wigs". lol All I can say without commenting on that in detail. lol It's funny in so many ways. lol :stick_out_tongue:

I really loved the strange nosed humanoid characters that came out from The Muppet Show and even continued for Muppets Tonight, the whatnots with the build in noses where you can't tell if it's their nose or part of their head or lip. lol Such a unique design. Because if you look at the early Muppet Design, it was more simple and that old Muppet design became more adapted to the Sesame Street Muppets. Especially the Guy Smiley / Don Music Anything Muppet, that Muppet was used in the 60s a lot as a stock character. But it seems now there's new Anything Muppets that came into addition with the traditional group, like there's one currently that's purple with a horizontally shaped mouth and they have a small green Anything Muppet that was used in the "Preschool Musical" sketch.

One of the great things that I love about Caper is that there's breif cameos of some of the rare Muppets from The Muppet Show, from "Hey a Movie" Blue Frackle "Boppity" and Green Frackle "Gloat?" and the Mutations, Big Mamma, Timmy Monster (is that his name? Giant Costume Monster, dark green with a tale?), all those Muppet Monsters in a cage on a truck. And even in the Happiness Hotel number, Annie Sue Pig is showed very quickly and wasn't that her only Muppet Movie appearance? I think her last appearance was at Jim Henson's Memorial but she looked very different in design. The Muppet Show Jigband especially, last time I knew they were shown was on the John Denver special "Rocky Mountain Holiday" and only the lead guitarist was shown on Muppets Tonight (performed by Brain Henson instead of Jerry Nelson) for "There's a lot of Coffee in Brazil". Speaking of Annie Sue, I like to see her make another appearance again. Louise Gold is still around and I think she did background vocals for one of the newer albums, was it Green and Red Christmas? I still haven't checked it out yet.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Yeah, that's Timmy Monster. Who was oddly missing from the recreation of The Muppet Show theme song in the recent movie.

And I do think this was Annie Sue's only Muppet movie apperance. I too wish she'd come back.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
And I do think this was Annie Sue's only Muppet movie apperance. I too wish she'd come back.
Watching The Muppet Show season 2 and 3 (I don't remember when Annie Sue's debut season was) but I'm starting to notice just how adorable she really was. And it's just so amazing how MEAN Miss Piggy is to her. She even quoted how much she idolized her and Piggy just doesn't care, she wants to be the only female pig star on the show and wants Kermit all to herself. lol But in Muppet Family Christmas, this Maryl Streep or Barbra Strisand sounding Mink said the same thing on how she admired Miss Piggy but she accepted it positively because she was a gift from Kermit. lol

But also Kermit got bitter at Vicky in a Jim Henson Hour episode when Vicky said she remembered watching Kermit when he used to go to daycare or something like that. "Vicky, I'm trying to work here." lol

But yeah, what's funny about Annie Sue is that when she does dance numbers she's really energetic, but behind the scenes she's modest, nervous and insecure. I felt so bad for her when she was too scared to do the Melodrama to the point where's she crying and Miss Piggy makes things worse "Anniebell, go to your room!" lol Piggy is such a bully when she wants to be, even to her fans. lol

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Annie Sue first appeared in season 2, but her proper introduction was in season 3.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Annie Sue first appeared in season 2, but her proper introduction was in season 3.
Speaking of Season 2, Steve Whitmire starting performing in Season 2 right? I didn't see his name in the credits on a Season 3 episodes, was there a gap where he wasn't avalable to perform?

I'm not sure if I already mentioned this but one of my favorite quotes in Caper is when Miss Piggy says "Next time they want stunts, the get a double" lol That might explain the skinny stunt double during the Motorcycle chase. lol

Just out of curiosity, when Jim Henson and the crew filmed The Muppet Movies as well as The Muppet Show, did they film in order or just separate scenes and the slate organized things for the editors as well as the footage tapes and stuff? I remember hearing that when Muppet Treasure Island was being filmed, the scene where Kermit is first tyed on a rope next to the cliff was the first scene that was filmed. In general, I always found it fascinating how films and TV shows were edited back then, must have been very stressful to time jump shot scenes and adding sound effects back then unlike the computer equipment we have today for post-production.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Speaking of Season 2, Steve Whitmire starting performing in Season 2 right? I didn't see his name in the credits on a Season 3 episodes, was there a gap where he wasn't avalable to perform?

I'm not sure if I already mentioned this but one of my favorite quotes in Caper is when Miss Piggy says "Next time they want stunts, the get a double" lol That might explain the skinny stunt double during the Motorcycle chase. lol

Just out of curiosity, when Jim Henson and the crew filmed The Muppet Movies as well as The Muppet Show, did they film in order or just separate scenes and the slate organized things for the editors as well as the footage tapes and stuff? I remember hearing that when Muppet Treasure Island was being filmed, the scene where Kermit is first tyed on a rope next to the cliff was the first scene that was filmed. In general, I always found it fascinating how films and TV shows were edited back then, must have been very stressful to time jump shot scenes and adding sound effects back then unlike the computer equipment we have today for post-production.
Steve didn't join until season 3. He's credited in at least one sesaon 3 episode, but didn't officialy receive credit until season 4.

Nothing is filmed or taped in order (although back in the 30s, Laurel and Hardy filmed most of their stuff in order because of their knack of improvisation. If they improvised something early on in the film, they could pick up on it again later). TMS was taped based on when the guest stars were available. Chances are, all of the stuff with the guest star would be taped on one day, and everything without the guest star would be done on two other days. So no, neither TMS or any of the Muppet movie were filmed in order.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Nothing is filmed or taped in order (although back in the 30s, Laurel and Hardy filmed most of their stuff in order because of their knack of improvisation. If they improvised something early on in the film, they could pick up on it again later). TMS was taped based on when the guest stars were available. Chances are, all of the stuff with the guest star would be taped on one day, and everything without the guest star would be done on two other days. So no, neither TMS or any of the Muppet movie were filmed in order.
Interesting, I wonder how they kept the footage organized. There must have been some sort of numbering system on the footage or something like that. It's very interesting stuff. I majored in film myself :smile:.

And speaking of characters that only appeared in one movie, was Pops just in Great Muppet Caper or was he also in Manhattan in the wedding scene finally?

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Yeah, he's in the wedding ceremony. He says "It's the wedding of the year!"

snichols1973

Reaction score
I noticed that as well. I'm guessing Peter came in at the last minute. Maybe the same for Louis.
According to http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Louis_Kazagger , L.K. starred in 12 episodes (7 in the 3rd season, 3 in the 4th, and 2 in the 5th); TMS ended production in 1980, but continued to be shown in syndication, while TGMC was released in June 1981.

Most of Season 3 was produced during 1978 and early 1979, which meant that he appeared on TMS slightly before the release of the first Muppet Movie (June 1979), and was also one of the background extras during the Magic Store / Rainbow Connection finale number, along with numerous other "lesser-known" Muppets....

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
According to http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Louis_Kazagger , L.K. starred in 12 episodes (7 in the 3rd season, 3 in the 4th, and 2 in the 5th); TMS ended production in 1980, but continued to be shown in syndication, while TGMC was released in June 1981.

Most of Season 3 was produced during 1978 and early 1979, which meant that he appeared on TMS slightly before the release of the first Muppet Movie (June 1979), and was also one of the background extras during the Magic Store / Rainbow Connection finale number, along with numerous other "lesser-known" Muppets....
I mean he may have been written into GMC later on. I'm aware that he was already around prior to the film. :wink: