Found new stuff in The Great Muppet Caper

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I've written a similar talking about The Muppet Movie, though I felt that The Muppet Movie had a more deeper level in messages on following your dreams and with Caper it's a tribute to the golden age of crime films. It's even mentioned on the soundtrack I believe.
Like I mentioned in my previous threat, growing up as a Muppet Fan, it's so much fun re-watching the original Muppet Movies and even The Muppet Show episodes and now I'm getting a lot of the dialog gags and such.

I decided to make a list of notes while watching the film, this is a long list so take your time reading it. And I feel like I wanted to do a thread like this just to chat about the classic movie and perhaps a few things that I didn't realize before. I analyzed the film to the point of finding car licenses. lol Enjoy :smile:

.I love how The Muppets mock the opening credits and Animals MGM parody opening. lol

.When Gonzo gets hit by a car and falls off the chicken crate. There's a white thing in his hand. Perhaps that was some sort of tape to posision him on the crate? It disapears when the hand puppet version of him get's up.

Richard Hunt as the cab driver

.When Sweetums falls into the sewer. Was that a stunt man inside that fell into the prop hole or did they cut film and have one on strungs and drop him in?

.I couldn't find Frank Oz when Gonzo shouts "Stop the presses"

."Colimiba subtitles say Gonzo shouts Geranimo and not Fozzie.

.Frank Oz can be seen a little bit in the back of Fozzie's box when Fozzie says "Oh no, we'll never get to England now"

.Just got the joke on recommending a cheap hotel, how cheap? Free?

.Places you can park your carcases. lol
bus terminals, riverbanks, Happiness Hotel

.British guy gives Kermit a dirty look after he thanks him

.Fozzie wants to take a bath in the London Fountain

.A crash landing that was terrable, well I guess we just got to do it again. Was this a behind the scenes inside joke?

.What is that organge thing on the couch in one of the first scenes of The Happiness Hotel?

.Glossies? What are they? Janice says that their agent wanted them to wear them or something?

Animal is upset about missing the Rembrandt exhibit at the National Gallery, didn't get the gag. lol

.What was Sam doing at The Happiness Hotel? I thought he was wealthy, sort of. lol

The villian was Lady Holiday's brother the whole time. He steals from her, eat's her food, gambles, is in debt.. Why are you telling me all this...
.It's Plot exposition it has to go somewhere lol This totally went over my head when I was a kid. lol
Her models were the bad guys the whole time. lol

.Who animated the Disney style bluebirds when Miss Piggy falls in love with Kermit at first sight?

..Highbrow street. lol

.Gonzo's famous taxi stopping technic "It's great when it works". lol

.Miss Piggy" Next time they want stunts, they get a double

..Finally getting that John Cleese and his character's wife in the movie where horrably boring. lol

.During Nightlife, one car has the lisence "PNK 10 9R" usually you never see lisence plates in movies. lol Was all those cars crew members or were they in fact ACTUAL cars on the road? If it were actual drivers not involved with the movie personally, that would make me laugh more, drivers seeing a bus full of Muppets at night with their heads sticking out the window. lol

.Jim's cameo :smile:

.Gonzo tries to scam an elderly man cheating on his wife

.Jerry and his daughter "No Christine that's a frog, bears wear hats" lol
I keep getting us mixed up. The running gag through out the movie. lol

.Bernie (probably an inside joke on Bernie Brillstine) Dry cleaning service story form that bum sitting next to Kermit.

.Kermit and Miss Piggy's fight going off plot. lol

.Nicky Holiday fancies Miss Piggy

.Gonzo take's a picture of a lady's crossed legs "I was doing a photographic essay on kneecaps" lol It was only because Camila was next to Rowlf in that scene and of course not mentioning the chicken and the piggon pictures as well. lol

..Underwater Miss Piggy's Fantazy, AMAZING! Must have taken a long time to make. Frank said that he had supporters to help if in case if he drowned with the bricks he had on his shoes. Was that goldfish keyed into the shot later?

.Miss Piggy coming out of the water with the firework sticks in her hair, obviously was filmed backwords to create the effect

..Frank's wearing some kind of white wet suit when Miss Piggy is on that high water fountain stream in the pool. You would need to freeze frame it and see it when the water comes down slightly

.Three shots in the movie of a custome mascot version of Miss Piggy for certain shots

. When Miss Piggy is in the fountain looking for her contacts, was her voice a dub? I figure that Frank would have to perform her with his left arm to hide his head and the camera on a certain angle. But then again, it's raining on the fountant which would not only ruin the mic, but electricity and water doesn't mix equaling to dangerious messures of course. So it's got be a dub, doesn't seem it.

.Probably my new favorite line from the movie. Miss Piggy: Your a phoney, you can't even sing, your voice was dubbed. LOL

."Kermit, find out if they'll let me keep the costumes!" lol

.Janice's famous line (I think we all know that one. lol) "Look Mother, it's my life okay!"

. Janice mentions she has a day job.

."Famous, what color are their hands now gag" Kermit: I don't think it's time for that kind of humor. Miss Piggy: When your in Stir, You take the laughs when you can get tehm Rosenfall. lol

.Nicky's door says "Nicky Irresponsible Parasite"

.checklist gag has comedic background music while Nicky's checklist scene had more serious dramatic spy music

.When Zoot mentions that he has no other pants, he has a bit of an accent. Never noticed that before

.I didn't get the gag where Fozzie checks for a Yo-Yo, Jancie replies to "Fer Sure". Was this refferencing Zoot looking the wax lips?

.lightbulb brakes 3 times in the movie. Classic number for a running gag. (makes Count like laugh, lighting and all. lol)

.Several versions of Nightlife play through out the movie. Also the number is slightly different then the soundtrack version. If anyone has mp3s of the movie's versions, please PM me.

.Was Miss Piggy bending the bars a remote control arm effect? I can't figure out how it would be done with rods? Or perhaps the bars were remote control and it's just her hands attached.

.Miss Piggy's prision number is 2350950

.Swedish Chef rides in front seat in scene after, knotting his head to Nightlife
Jim in black fabricated suit is seen slightly behind Rowlf and Camilla as bus passes

.What's up with the bus backfiring? lol
Oh right, Happiness Hotel bus, never mind. Just don't want to see the Sad Hotel car carried by a horse and buggy. lol Couldn't resist. lol

Nicky's lisence plate is NKY 4.

.Is H.M. Prision a refference to something?

.JLT3780 license on the Big House Laungry truck, Serving the Prision Community since the Spanish Inquision. lol HARD ONE TO SPOT, can't wait for this movie to be on blu-ray to read more of the visual gags on the signs and whatnot. Also says 1. Starch St. London ect

.Lew Zeland and his useless paper towels gag. lol

.Mallory Gallery: Don't Try It, You'll be Torn To Shreds. (sign)

.Trucker's truck license is YPFISST. Seriously are these license's real? The plates would totally be a nice collectors item for us fans next to a screenshot picture on the side. :smile: Love Oscar's "Very Breif Cameo" lol QT 2417 sign under truckers arm above "No Passengers"

.Nicky's teams door drill makes a Star Wars Sci-Fi like sound effect when doornobs turn. Wasn't the original 3 Star Wars films made in the same studio The Muppet Show was made or the same building at ITC?

.Mallery Gallery, Still very far .... (street sign)

.Is that Jerry Nelson's voice as Dirty Bird the trucker?

.Nightwatch Man's name is Henderson, isn't that a refference to Henson?
BUT I HATE PEPPERONI! lol

.I just love the SCI-FI alarm sound effects. lol So high tech for 1981. lol

.Kermit: The Fabulous Baseball Diamond" horrable dub. The dub was on while Kermit was looking down, came on too early

.Mallory Gallery at least two more miles..

.My other favorite line" Fozzie: Excuse me, I don't think that belongs to you"

.Boagaurd bites Nicky in the background lol

. Scooter sells "Red-Hot popcorn)

.Wasn't there a version of the Movie where Miss Piggy shouts as she lands on Nicky? It's not on the Columbia DVD release.

.Animal seems very happy laying right with all the three model / villans lol

.Twins (gag) and Pig Foil Heist
Again, can't wait for the blu-ray so I can analize the visual gags more. :smile:
Newspaper seems to date August 17th 1980

.Beaker is called Charrot Top before being thrown out the Plane

.Rowlf's mouth seems to be jammed in the background at the line "Everybody in the world"

.The ending was filmed in a studio right?

.Oscar the Grouch Courtesy of Children's Television Workshop, simular to Big Bird's credit in The Muppet Movie. But I thought Henson Associates owned the Sesame Muppets at the time. And even though ITC owned The Muppet Movies and The Muppet Show, Jim Henson still owned the rights to the characters right? ITC got bankrupted right? And that's how The Henson compay got the rights to The Muppet Show and first two Muppet Movies right?

And neither Henson or Disney owns Manhattan or From Space because Tristar still owns them right?

I totally forgot about Gonzo's ending "I'll send you each a copy" lol

The movie had so much energy, fast pace comedy, visual gags slapstick, bad puns and anything for a laugh style. Though it seems different with the more newer current stuff today.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
When Gonzo says "stop the presses", Frank is the guy with the mustache on the left of the screen.

Gonzo saying "we'll just have to do it again", all this time I thought that was just Gonzo being Gonzo, but you make a good point about it being a fourth wall joke.

I don't think the "essay on kneecaps" line had to do with Camilla. In fact, I think Gonzo really was doing an essay on kneecaps.

I don't quite get the yo yo line either.

I don't think there was ever an indication that Sam was rich, but if anything, he's at the hotel for the sake of having Sam jokes.

Yes, Jerry is Dirty Bird.

Yes, the finale was shot in a studio.

In Night Life, I doubt those other drivers weren't involved in the movie.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
im not quite sure myself but to me appears to look like a rolled up blanket hope this helps :wink::smile:
When I had the VHS version years ago, I always thought that was the Muppet Show backstage cat. Oh what's his or her name, the kitty with the eye patch. Kathryn Mullen performed the character. Usually I don't necessary like to call a Muppet cute in a positive fashion, not even Bean Bunny. But that cat and Bagoony of Fraggle Rock, I can totally say their cute is a positive fashion :smile:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
.I didn't get the gag where Fozzie checks for a Yo-Yo, Jancie replies to "Fer Sure". Was this refferencing Zoot looking the wax lips?

There's no joke to her line or reference to Zoot's line; the whole scene is just juxtaposition between the Muppets and crooks. The bad guys have all this high-tech gadgetry and are all prepared, while the Muppets have a bunch of useless items (peanut butter, wax lips, frisbee) and have almost none of them. Having a yo-yo is just part of the list of items that won't help in any way.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
When Gonzo says "stop the presses", Frank is the guy with the mustache on the left of the screen.
You mean the guy with NO GLASSES is Frank? I thought I recognize his face but us fans rarely see him without glasses.

I don't think the "essay on kneecaps" line had to do with Camilla. In fact, I think Gonzo really was doing an essay on kneecaps.
Hmm, that may be true. Gonzo certainly thinks very unique. lol Though I was just making a joke mentioning Camilla having a later appearance in the movie. Also Gonzo seems to have times where he'd check out other females, birds, whatever behind her back a lot from time to time. Though he did get caught a few times on The Muppet Show lol Not to also mention "Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff" lol Even that first season crush on Miss Piggy ONCE, which he's very embarrassed of now. But we all know that Camilla has a special place in Gonzo's heart no matter where he wonders off too. lol :concern: I love that line from I think the Dom Delluise episode "She's nothing like you at all, SHE'S BEAUTIFUL"! Miss Piggy punches Gonzo's nose right into his mouth. lol

I don't think there was ever an indication that Sam was rich, but if anything, he's at the hotel for the sake of having Sam jokes.
Sam is defiantly a mysterious character in terms of his personal lifestyle. I'm still shocked that he's into art and culture because he seems too serious to appreciate such a form. lol I suppose he didn't know The Marx Brothers and The Three Stooges were once vaudeville stars. lol Didn't Sam briefly mentioning in a Muppet Show episode that he had a wife and kids to Kermit and he said that he didn't get along with either one of them? I think that was the only time we ever heard of anything on the Eagle's private life. lol

mupcollector1

Reaction score
There's no joke to her line or reference to Zoot's line; the whole scene is just juxtaposition between the Muppets and crooks. The bad guys have all this high-tech gadgetry and are all prepared, while the Muppets have a bunch of useless items (peanut butter, wax lips, frisbee) and have almost none of them. Having a yo-yo is just part of the list of items that won't help in any way.
Like I mentioned in my notes, I just love the change in music when they cut the scenes. From the Dramatic Spy music to the more slow yet comedic music. lol