1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Found new stuff in The Great Muppet Caper

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by mupcollector1, Sep 7, 2012.

1. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

So it was Joe Raposo who did the music for the movie right? That's the guy who wrote the theme for Sesame and some of the early songs there right? And the original Muppet show theme for Sex & Violence. I think I got a special that I got from a tape trade years ago from 1989. I think Christopher Cerf mentioned there was a story how Joe got into Frank Sanatra's car, using the car phone inside and calling everyone he knew with it "HEY GUYS, GUESS WHERE I'M AT?" lol Funny story I remember :)
  2. mupcollector1

Right exactly, where can I find a version that has that in there. It's not on the columbia dvd.

I think I'm more observational visually then I am dialog. To catch most of these things, I kept rewinding or moving backward and analyze things. It's a lot of fun for me. lol But not to be rude, but I prefer to go back to the main topic. :)

Jerry Juhl is just amazing with his writing. I wonder how come he didn't work on Muppets Tonight? It's sad he passed. I think Muppets From Space was the last thing he wrote for The Muppets. Didn't he retire shortly after?
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I think if you just happened to have taped it off a television broadcast from the 1990s, lol.

I've also noticed recent versions of MTM has WAY too much contrast in the picture, it looks way too dark in many parts... the end of "Saying Goodbye", the faces of the other characters look almost invisible.
  4. mupcollector1

I've read on Amazon that it's on Blu-ray now. Some people said the blu-ray isn't that great. But I think I still might get it once I own a Blu-ray player and HDTV.

But one of the things that I found sort of confusing, like I mentioned. Oscar is copyrighted Children's Television Workshop. But they didn't own the Sesame Muppets until the mid 2000s.
  5. D'Snowth

It's like that in TMM, with a courtesy disclaimer for Big Bird as well... I guess they wanted to give CTW some credit as well.
  6. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Really? I could have sworn the Columbia DVD had Animal's "Bad man!". I thought it was the Columbia VHS that put it on mute (and the Tri-Star music was also put on mute). This was the version shown on ABC Family back around 2001/2002, which I still have. When they showed it on ABC Family, the scene with Joan Rivers was removed, as were a few tiny bits from the opening scene.
  7. mupcollector1

What? They removed the Joan Rivers scene? That's one of my favorite scenes in the movie. Joan and Miss Piggy making a complete mess with the make up. lol If Animal was in the scene, they would have made a complete mess of the whole entire mall. lol But of course it won't work in the plot. lol
    It was that scene and Scooter working at the Movie Theater (wasn't it a parody of Jaws 3D)? Love what The Swedish Chef was doing. lol Lew Zeland throwing his boomerang fish and some landing on members of the audience. I'm sure he wanted to do that for Muppet Vision 3D and Kermit probably said no. lol I made another funny :)
  8. Mo Frackle

Yeah, they probably cut it for timesake. As for Lew Zeland, I can totally see a repeat of the theater scenes from TMM.

:fishy:: Hey, Mister the Frog, is it okay for me an my fish to be your 3D movie?
    :): I told you, Lew, that's not how 3D works.

Incidentally, ABC's (not ABC Family, but THE ABC) airing of MTI was really interesting. In fact, I still have it. Besides a few minor scenes (mainly during the scene after the fire at the inn, the scene where the gang first arrive on the ship, the arrival of Captain Smollett, and the intro to the "Cabin Fever" song) were shortened for timesake. The "Something Better" song was cut entirely (though the intro music is still used). One really weird edit involved the alcohol scene (which was removed entirely). In the ABC version, after Jim refuses to give over the map to Kermit, we hear Silver knocking on the door and Kermit looking towards the door.

It then cuts straight to the night sequence. Because Jim Hawkins mentions the previous scene ("I'm sorry your present didn't work out, Long John"), this had to be edited somehow. Personally, I think it would have made sense to just mute Jim's line (as his back his to the camera when he says it), but instead ABC decided to overdub the line with a new one: "And then he just told us all to get out". Not sure who dubbed the line, but it clearly wasn't Kevin Bishop (in fact, it appears to be an American voice).
  9. D'Snowth

Bwahaha! There are so many occasions where movies have to dub lines for network television broadcasts, and sometimes, the dubbed lines sound NOTHING like the original actor's voice... like one example that I can sort of repeat on this forum was the beginning of the dance number from Good Burger, where George Clinton's line, "Hoo! That music sucks!" is dubbed to, "Woo that music stinks!"... the dub sounded more like somebody faking a really deep voice.
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  10. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Doesn't surprise me; ABC Family is pretty brutal when it comes to cutting scenes for time. I learned this during their 25 days of Christmas programming, lol.
    muppetfan24/7 and Mo Frackle like this.
  11. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

I am so glad I don't have cable, because you may never know that the scene you love is cut.
  12. mupcollector1

Same here, no cable for me. Just some wi-fi and my fabulous DVD collection. I never watched much TV anyhow. Any new episodes of shows I like, I just watch on their site :)

Did Disney Channel edit anything out of the Muppet Movies when they were on during the late 90s?
  13. heralde

One thing I remember about GMC, that scene where the Muppets are listing what they'll need for the mission ("I don't have any other pants" and "Animal ate the peanut butter"). As a kid I didn't realize that was supposed to be funny, I took them perfectly seriously that that's what they needed, lol.
    mupcollector1 likes this.
  14. mupcollector1

Same here. lol
    heralde likes this.
  15. heralde

Btw I love the cameo that GMC made in that episode of Muppet Babies where they're discussing what they'll be when they grow up.
  16. mupcollector1

I remember that. There was also an episode of Muppet Babies where they had Muppet Show footage but it was Frank Welker dubbing over it :( Frank Welker is great, one of the top people in the voice acting industry. But I always prefered the actual performers doing the voices personally. That's probably why I'm more of a Classic Muppet fan and not so much Muppet Babies, Little Muppet Monsters, etc. Except the piece in Muppets Take Manhattan and the music video. Those were cool. lol I still remember Jim in the music video breaking the window and walking out with gelled hair, sungalsses and giant fabricated Kermit feet lol Why that's not avalable on itunes, I have no idea. lol :)

My favorite part in the movie was the nightlife number. lol Some of the Muppets hanging out the window driving like crazy as cars are honking at them. lol And The Swedish Chef smiling at the cars nodding his head out the window. And there's a point in the movie where he's in front, the passenger seat next to Pops doing this suddle head banging as a version of Nightlife is being played as they were going to the Gallery. lol

I remember I posted all the lisence plate numbers that I spotted in the movie, it'll be very interesting if someone were to find the plates or actual cars from the movie. lol Then again, this was 1981. lol
    I know the Electric Mayhem Bus, the actual one from The Muppet Movie got sold on eBay years ago. I don't know if it was the real thing or just a fan made replica. Which reminds me. How to they get The Muppets to drive actual cars? There's got to be an actual driver in a secret part of the car, the cars must have been made special for the movies. :) But now in the chroma key, special digital effects age you can fix it up easily with computer technology but before that, it's just amazing all these film tricks and such.
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  17. Mo Frackle

Yeah, in most cases, if not all, there's somebody driving from the back of the car.
  18. heralde

I totally understand, but I admit I have always been a Muppet Babies fan. And hey the guy did Baby Kermit and Megatron, now that's saying something, lol.
  19. mupcollector1

As well as the original Freddy Jones of the original Scooby Doo, Where are you. :) He's always hired if a show needs animal noises, he's the person everyone hires for that. lol :)
  20. mupcollector1

Not to get too off subject but I remember hearing the S word in the rap song on the Good Burger sound track and in the movie someone told Ed "I'll see you in H**l!" God I miss Kenan & Kel. :)
    heralde likes this.