How To Create a New Muppet Fan?!!!

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I have to admit (to my eternal shame) that even as an adult I find The First Time It Happens a bit over long. It's a nice way to set up the love triangle, but I think the dance sequence is overdone.

If you suspend disbelief enough to be a Muppets fan then the joke of this happening to a pig (which is one of the things the sequence has going for it) is a bit thin.

All IMHO of course!!!
Majorly agree to disagree on this but were all entitled to our opinions. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I would agree to a certain extent, but look at the movies that are popular with kids now compared to when TMM came out. They are much more frenetic and physical. That's not to say that kids can't enjoy something gentler, but they aren't as used to it as we were then.
They make reality TV shows for adults, but that doesn't mean it's what all adults want to be watching. Lol I know people who love the worst of the reality shows but surprisingly they also enjoy I Love Lucy and lament that shows today can't be more like that.

Kids don't always like doing homework, but we still tell them they need to do it, we don't tell them "Well it's OK if you really don't like it." It shouldn't be any different if a kid refuses to watch black and white movies. Kids grow up totally ignorant of history and art in part because parents throw up their hands.

Scooters Jacket

Reaction score
I don't see this as an old Vs. new argument so much. As I said, my nephew loved the Ed Sullivan skits. They were fun, funny, entertaining and could be appreciated on many levels.

This is also true of GMC, but IMHO that movie has too many places where the script carries the humor and not the visuals and for youngsters I think that can be a problem.

Add in the fact that today's kids are brought up on a diet of farts and pratfalls in quick succession and the problem is exacerbated. The reason Sesame Street isn't shown in the UK is because TV Execs don't believe kids will watch an hour long show any more. This is partly the reason Elmo's World was added I believe.

We can keep wishing it's not so, but it doesn't make it true.

Scooters Jacket

Reaction score
They make reality TV shows for adults, but that doesn't mean it's what all adults want to be watching. Lol I know people who love the worst of the reality shows but surprisingly they also enjoy I Love Lucy and lament that shows today can't be more like that.

Kids don't always like doing homework, but we still tell them they need to do it, we don't tell them "Well it's OK if you really don't like it." It shouldn't be any different if a kid refuses to watch black and white movies. Kids grow up totally ignorant of history and art in part because parents throw up their hands.
Agreed. If I didn't believe that I'd have let my nephew enjoy TM11 and not worried about introducing him to other Muppet works.

I actually think that there are 2 ages to catch a person and have them become Muppet fans and that's either when they're young enough to enjoy the silliness and accept the Muppets as real (I'm in that category) and then when kids/adults are a little older and can appreciate the silliness in a different way. There's a period in between IMHO where the Muppets can be seen as just silly when silly isn't what's floating your boat.

There are always exceptions to that rule, but I know a few people who I'm sure would love The Muppets if they had been introduced to them at a different time in their life.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Last thing I have to say and then I'm unwatching this thread it's "The Muppets" what more do you need??

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I actually think that there are 2 ages to catch a person and have them become Muppet fans and that's either when they're young enough to enjoy the silliness and accept the Muppets as real (I'm in that category) and then when kids/adults are a little older and can appreciate the silliness in a different way. There's a period in between IMHO where the Muppets can be seen as just silly when silly isn't what's floating your boat.
That is possible. I know I've read that some people who try watching Wizard of Oz later in life just don't get the appeal, lol.

I think ultimately it really comes down to trying a bunch of things and seeing what works for the individual. When I was a kid my Dad wanted me to like Monty Python so he showed me an episode of the show. But I just didn't get it, totally went over my head. Not too long after my friend showed me Holy Grail and for whatever reason it clicked and now I can watch anything Monty Python!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Add in the fact that today's kids are brought up on a diet of farts and pratfalls in quick succession and the problem is exacerbated.
Maybe you can try to find a way to add a half-dozen farts to the older Muppet movies. Maybe have Sweetums fart whenever he runs after the Muppets, or add farting effects whenever somebody is shown eating something...:eek:

Scooters Jacket

Reaction score
Maybe you can try to find a way to add a half-dozen farts to the older Muppet movies. Maybe have Sweetums fart whenever he runs after the Muppets, or add farting effects whenever somebody is shown eating something...:eek:

That sounds awful! I'm not advocating fart gags!!!