1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

How To Create a New Muppet Fan?!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Scooters Jacket, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Monstermaster

Monstermaster New Member

Well I think the first Muppet movie would be a good way to go.
    Scooters Jacket likes this.
  2. Well we didn't have time to watch a movie today, but we watched the singalongs (Billy Bunny, Easy Bein Green) and he enjoyed them very much. They are definitely skewed to a younger audience so there was no surprise there.

Then we watched Muppets at WDW which just about kept his attention. He loved the Electric Mayhem song (good lad!), but got restless during Rowlf's.

We watched a little of the Christopher Reeve episode of TMS as well.

It turns out Kermit and Animal (who he calls "Drums") are his favourites.

So all in all it was a success. Next time I think I'll try either MTI or GMC and a few more TMS episodes.

I'll let you know how it goes!
  3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

And lucky for him those two seem to currently be the most-marketed characters when it comes to merchandise.
    SkeetScootSquat likes this.
  4. Yeah. I guess he'll never have the problems this Scooter fan has! ;)

I think he got the name "Drums" from the new movie, which is interesting!
  5. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Never assume that. Kids grow up enjoying older movies and TV shows all the time.
  6. miss kermie

miss kermie Well-Known Member

I think you should have him watch something relatable. Or find something that's based off a tale already, like MTI, MCC, MWoO, and MCT.
  7. heralde

My parents bought me the Muppet versions of The Frog Prince, Hey Cinderella and The Musicians of Bremen Town, likely for the same reason. I watched them all the time when I was a kid, lol.
  8. I think MTI will be next on the list. Arrrggghhh!
  9. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

I guess, for children around the age of 5 or so, the best way to introduce them to The Muppets is through Sesame Street, obviously. But if your child is already familiar with Sesame Street, you can show them the "old school" seasons as well. It ought to bring up a fun discussion about the differences of Sesame Street then and now.

With that said, I'd suggest that you don't show them the earlier seasons - the first three, that is. Sure, that's when we had all the more memorable stuff that the majority of us fans have had implanted in the back of our brains like the Number Song Series, Rubber Duckie, C is for Cookie, Mad Painter, Alligator King, classic E/B sketches like Banana in the ear, broken cookie jar, etc. Yet there were a lot of other things that haven't been fleshed out yet, such as pacing, cast consistency, tone, format, appearance of certain characters, and certain major characters who didn't make it into the show yet. All of which would probably confuse kids today (and even those who grew up with the show after that point). So the best option is season 6, because that's when everything came together.

But I think the main reason I say this is...well, I think I'll let this picture explain it for you:

[​IMG]

And this is how your kid is probably going to react (just replace the "Baby Arnold" with the above image):

10. heralde

I have to respectfully disagree. We're far too worried nowadays about "confusing" children as though that's some sort of frightening prospect. Children enjoy older TV shows and movies all the time. If something's confusing they ask questions and adults will answer. That's what growing up is all about. :wisdom:
  11. Nowadays over here in the UK kids sort of know who the main few characters are, but that's about it as the show isn't on over here. My nephews could probably name Cookie Monster, Elmo and Big Bird, but I doubt they'd know the names of Bert & Ernie, Grover etc.

Sesame Street is more a merchandise line than a TV show.

Sad really.:(
  12. heralde

That has always been one of the dangers of trying to educate through Television. You're always going to be subject to making a profit.
  13. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Okay I'm gonna give my two sense here. Let me just say and I mean no disrespect so please don't be offended. But I don't think we should assume what kids will and will not like, or even what they will and will not understand. You would be surprised at how much kids actually do get no matter their age.

I say there's no limitations when it comes to deciding what Muppet movie or even TV specials you want him to watch. And here's why because this is to me what's so great about The Muppets. They aren't for kids they aren't for adults. Their for BOTH. And really when your watching say "The Muppets (2011)" your really watching two different movies. For you, you might be watching it for the adult jokes and the storyline. For him he's just watching a talking frog. And IMO he doesn't have to fully understand a Muppet movie to get that. As he gets older he will start to understand the storylines and humor more.

So to me if all he sees is Kermit singing and dancing or Animal banging on the drums what more do you need? I mean because let's face it that's really why he's watching it. He's not watching it for the storyline or to get the jokes. His interest is on the puppets. (Sorry had to say the "P" word there Lol) I mean that speaks volumes to me if he can see something and know who The Muppets are. Cause let me tell you when I was in Target a while back looking through the 1.00 bins for Muppet merchandise I saw a child with his mom and I literally heard him say "Look mommy it's Kermit!" and I swear the biggest smile that lit up on that child's face from just seeing Kermit on a notebook. It really just made my heart melt. To me that right there says the movie did it's job.
  14. I agree one hundred per cent HOWEVER I do think that certain Muppet productions play better to today's kids.

I grew up with GMC as probably my favourite movie. Period. But I do think that for today's kids there are parts of the film that drag - particularly during the second act. I'm not saying it's right that kids might find it tough to watch GMC in one go, but the reality is that some kids will wander off during Peter Falke's cameo. It's very wordy and flies over the head of the average 5 year old.

As I posted, I love TMM and did as a kid, but for my nephew he got bored and wandered off and didn't come back. I'm trying to nurture his Muppet love, not put him off so I wasn't going to make him watch something.

However, he loved the old Ed Sullivan sketches. They were fun, bright, easy to understand (often with no words at all) and as they were short held his attention.

TM11, totally did its job. We wouldn't be discussing this without it!!!
  15. heralde

I would say that's more a matter of personal taste than "kids today don't get it." After all you're only going by one kid, not conducting a nation wide study, hehe. You can't make those kinds of judgments just based on that. ;)

Some of my favorite movies when I was a kid were grown films that were very wordy. I didn't know what was going on necessarily but at my level they were funny or interesting. Kids don't need to be kept hidden from these things.
  16. Pinkflower7783

That's why I always say don't assume what kids will like. Let them find out on their own what they do and don't like. But the fact he just likes to watch Kermit would be enough to make me happy. :)
    SkeetScootSquat and heralde like this.
  17. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I liked that scene a lot better as a kid than I do as an adult. But as an adult I enjoy "The First Time It Happens" and the water ballet a lot more than I did as a kid.
  18. I would agree to a certain extent, but look at the movies that are popular with kids now compared to when TMM came out. They are much more frenetic and physical. That's not to say that kids can't enjoy something gentler, but they aren't as used to it as we were then.

I base my feelings on GMC on my own experiences. As a kid I watched it on VHS constantly and could speak along with parts of it, but it was only when I re-watched it as a grown up that I realised how funny/clever a lot of it really is.
  19. I have to admit (to my eternal shame) that even as an adult I find The First Time It Happens a bit over long. It's a nice way to set up the love triangle, but I think the dance sequence is overdone.

If you suspend disbelief enough to be a Muppets fan then the joke of this happening to a pig (which is one of the things the sequence has going for it) is a bit thin.

All IMHO of course!!!
  20. Pinkflower7783

No offense and I mean no disrespect but I personally think your looking too much into this myself.
    heralde likes this.