When you need to rant...

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------
Post-debate Rant.

When the !$@! did it become in any way acceptable to run roughshod over the time limit, your opponent, AND the moderator? Disgusted with both on that count. Jim Lehrer is a hero of mine and last night I sooooo wished he had a "push for slime" button to punish anyone ignoring the rules of debate. Rude, rude, rude. Especially when several times his polite reminders or needful interruptions were completely ignored...and then to be snubbed for a handshake at the end? Really?

Wondering if they understand talking over everyone else is not civil discourse in New Zealand. The place is looking more and more attractive to me.
--------------

Drtooth

Reaction score
When the !$@! did it become in any way acceptable to run roughshod over the time limit, your opponent, AND the moderator? Disgusted with both on that count. Jim Lehrer is a hero of mine and last night I sooooo wished he had a "push for slime" button to punish anyone ignoring the rules of debate. Rude, rude, rude. Especially when several times his polite reminders or needful interruptions were completely ignored...and then to be snubbed for a handshake at the end? Really?
And the worst part is Romney "won" the debate by being such a complete D-bag. He had NO specifics about his policies, even now. He just shouted and snarked and just acted like the same school yard bully/Reggie Mantle he's been the entire campaign season. Of course he had the president on the ropes... he had no respect at all, and flip flopped and bebopped all over the place.

And I doubt a slime button would work. Romney is full of enough slime already.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
ARG! Why do some people have to write like this:

oh thats so cool i love the muppets lol i wish they would make another movie lolol blahblahblah

All lowercase, no periods, and don't get me started on the LOLs. :rolleyes: If you have the time to write something, then why do you write it like you have no time?! Ok... out of my system now.... happy Casey is back. :stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Because people are incredibly lazy when it comes to the internet, they don't want to have to waste the extra time hitting the caps lock key to properly capitalize, or hit the other puncuation keys for proper grammar or anything... and if you bring it to their attention, they get all huffy like, "excuz me is this a english essay? i dont think so"

I had one guy commenting on some classic SST vids I posted on YouTube, POSTING IN ALL CAPS LIKE THIS; I told him he didn't have to shout at me like that (as all caps is interpreted as shouting), and he's like, "I'M NOT SHOUTING AT YOU I HAVE TWO ACCOUNTS AND I TYPE IN ALL CAPS FOR THIS ACCOUNT LIKE and all lowercase for my other account like this so people will tell me apart. GET IT NOW?"

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
That's... an interesting way of doing things... I'm glad I'm not the only person feeling this way. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can't ever bring myself to type like that... even when IMing, I rarely type like that... I can't help myself, English was one of my best subjects in school, proper punctuation, grammar, etc comes almost naturally to me.

Then you got some people who outright refuse to use semicolons, as they feel it is the most pointless and needless punctuation ever invented, saying, "All a semicolon does is say you went to college." Admittedly, I see less and less of it used in writing, be it books, magazines, the paper, etc... what I DO see more of is writing like this. Just a bunch of short sentences. Like this. Lots of periods, after only a few words. I was taught that is a BIG no-no. That's like "baby writing", when you just use a bunch of really short sentences.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I don't even TEXT like that. It drives me insane when people don't at least try to use correct grammar and punctuation

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Spelling errors are forgivable, I know spelling is difficult for some (and admittedly, even though I'm pretty good at it myself, I know from time to time I make a few misspellings myself), but yeah, when people don't even make any kind of effort to at least type somewhat intelligentily... ehh...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
No one has perfect grammar and not everyone is fluent in English. I understand that much, but still, there is a difference between trying and not caring at all