Muppets Tonight question

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I remember now, it was JHH that was filmed in Canada, not MT.
I thought The Jim Henson Hour was filmed in the UK since they had the Storyteller lion and it probably would have been a lot of work to ship that big puppet from the UK Creature Shop to Canada. But maybe they figured out a way.

So Muppets Tonight was filmed in California? I wonder how many puppets they needed to ship out. How do they do stuff like that, meaning building the puppets in New York and shipping them out to a studio that is states away. Usually they had workshops near the studio like NY for Sesame Street and UK for The Muppet Show. Which reminds me, Puppet Heap is in New Jersey so is that mean they ship The current Muppets to California?

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I thought The Jim Henson Hour was filmed in the UK since they had the Storyteller lion and it probably would have been a lot of work to ship that big puppet from the UK Creature Shop to Canada. But maybe they figured out a way.

So Muppets Tonight was filmed in California? I wonder how many puppets they needed to ship out. How do they do stuff like that, meaning building the puppets in New York and shipping them out to a studio that is states away. Usually they had workshops near the studio like NY for Sesame Street and UK for The Muppet Show. Which reminds me, Puppet Heap is in New Jersey so is that mean they ship The current Muppets to California?
They probably either had more than one puppet, or the intros were done in the UK.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
They probably either had more than one puppet, or the intros were done in the UK.
I remember seeing a picture of the Aveune Q puppets and how there's 3 of the same character. Usually I always thought they just build the one character per year and then rebuild the character and dump the old one or something like that.

I wonder how they do things in terms of how many puppets they need per show. The writers right the script and contact the workshop to build the characters, whatnots, stock puppets and they somehow ship the puppets either by truck or if in another state, air mail or something like that? From my knowledge I remember hearing how The Muppet Show was done in a week per episode but I wonder if that's the whole show from pre-production (writing, lists, production notes), production, and post-production (editing, music dubs, opening, closing, sound effects, final master tapes etc) or if the week was just production. And the season was done in bulk right so it's not like they rushed to get a new show on the air kind of like how South Park gets a whole show done in 6 days or Spitting Image in a simular fashion relating to puppetry? It usually takes a puppet builder about a month or two to build a quality puppet right? All this is so fascinating to me lol Especially Muppets Tonight because I grew up watching that show when it was on ABC and I specially ordered Disney Channel mainly because of it and to see the unaired Season 2 episodes which from what I remember sat on the ABC's shelf for a long while until Disney picked it up.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The Jim Henson Company still has offices in New York, they buiold some newer puppets there, but they also help repair the Sesame Street Muppets as well.
The JHC studios in Caifronia Do not have a lot of building going on there. I think that is where they do a lot of there CG work like for Sid the Science Kid and Dinasaur Train.
Now they make have a creatuer shop in LA, but I'm not real sure. I do know that they had at one time one in London and Alstrala I think, but sadly had to close them down.