No More 2D Animated Films At Disney

Drtooth

Reaction score
"I've got sand in my NOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!"

Somehow, I feel this is hysteria, because they didn't exactly say they wouldn't make any more... just that there aren't any in the pipeline. I honestly don't think they had any, regardless of how WTP and PATF did. There was talk about a 2-D animated version of an obscure Marvel thing, but nothing has came out of that yet.

If Disney won't do it, it's up to another animation studio to be brave enough to try a complete traditional animated film. Just as long as the script is good.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Somehow I don't believe this, all we got is that link that MrBabySpencer provided. I see no reason why Disney would just say no completley. They can't drop 2D just becuase Princess and the Frog wasn't succesful. It just simply wasn't a good movie!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
They probably don't have a 2-D project in mind at all because they simply didn't. If it's a cost thing or based on logistics, that's debatable.

Plus, Princess and the Frog had a little too much pressure on it. Like the Superman Returns movie did. If it was supposed to succeed, it was supposed to usher in a new era of that film, and if it didn't, it wouldn't and they'd have to start again. yet, they released P&F at a time when kids were more interested with the CGI Chipmunks sequel, so I doubt quality really entered into it.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Somehow I don't believe this, all we got is that link that MrBabySpencer provided. I see no reason why Disney would just say no completley. They can't drop 2D just becuase Princess and the Frog wasn't succesful. It just simply wasn't a good movie!!
Well, while we don't have any definate proof, I wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

The Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh were kind of, I guess, experimental projects to see how 2D animation would do in the box-office. Neither of them did well, so I wouldn't be surprised that Disney doesn't want to take the risk again.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
News like this stirs people up and maybe that's a good thing. Maybe it's exactly what needs to happen. Maybe it's deliberate in order to get people behind 2D animation again. Who knows? :confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh were kind of, I guess, experimental projects to see how 2D animation would do in the box-office. Neither of them did well, so I wouldn't be surprised that Disney doesn't want to take the risk again.
WTP suffered from being Flanderized to a baby franchise, and frankly, over exposure of the character from Disney over the past decade and a half. And for being released opposite Harry Potter. And for being barely an hour in length. It shouldn't have been a summer movie at all, honestly. It seems like it would have at least gained some traction with a winter release. That Gnome thing got dumped in the winter, and since it was the only family film, it did well. THAT'S the audience it should have got.

The sad thing is, Disney was going to launch a classic Pooh franchise on that movie, trying to undo the damage of My Friends Tigger and Pooh and the whole baby franchise mindset behind the bear. It's just like when Looney Tunes BIA flopped and they cancelled plans for a series of Daffy Duck shorts and instead rebooted it with the terrible Loonatics series. So I guess Pooh's doomed to have another pre-preschool friendly reboot.

PATF, other than what else was discussed, shouldn't have been the movie to bring back the 2-D franchise. They should have had something with more of a cross gender appeal to it first. I swear, they tanked with Brother Bear and Home on the Range (the first one really doesn't deserve most of the crap it gets, the second one is just 90 minutes of mindwarp) so they could go on to CGI films. But like I always say, Disney got flack for doing Princess films, then they got flack for not doing Princess films. They can't win!

News like this stirs people up and maybe that's a good thing. Maybe it's exactly what needs to happen. Maybe it's deliberate in order to get people behind 2D animation again.
Maybe, but it seems more along the lines of panicky misinterpretation. I just don't think Disney wants to do a 2-D film because they didn't want to. From what the rumors say, there's to be a partially 2-D/CGI hybrid film from Dreamworks (Me and my Shadow), so that might just be the kick in the pants. Still, I know Lassiter hates the DTV sequels and somehow lets Tinkerbell movies get a pass... but we need a 2-D animated Mickey and co project of some kind.

My dream is still a traditionally animated "Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" movie, but apparently the US hates Duck family comics, and everyone would think it was a Ducktales movie and complain that Launchpad isn't in it.

Princeton

Reaction score
I just hate what is a Disney princess and what isn't. Anthro characters are outta there, so aren't Disney Afternoon/TV cartoon characters (no Mira Nova). And why not the princess from Atlantis? I know the movie wasn't a hit (had the cartoon happened, it would have been an overall improvement... Greg Weisman... that's why), but she's still a Disney Princess. Mulan isn't a Princess, but she counts... only reason the one from Enchanted wasn't was that Amy Adams didn't want to sign her life away for a likeness (kinda the reason why we never got Ghostbusters movie toys until recently).
One criteria is that the character has to have a song, so the only princesses that are excluded are Kida and Eilonwy.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
We’re not necessarily ruling out the possibility [of] a feature but there isn’t any in development at the company at the moment.”
So, it's not like they're completely done with 2D films, just none are in the works at the moment.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I've heard this before, and people freaked out about it then too. And then Disney changed their minds and made more traditional animated films. So, my feathers remain unruffled.

Even if they do go to CGI, well, it won't break my heart. Look at Paperman. The story didn't interest me, but the animation was wonderful. I'll bet if you asked the average moviegoer they'd say it was hand animated. We've come a long way since Tin Toy, and the technology's still developing.