Video: The Muppet Christmas Carol Blu-ray Extras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
I received my MCC Blu ray in the post this morning and am delighted to say that it's money well spent!!

There are a couple of (trivial) gripes but on the whole it's a great disc. The picture quality is a very solid 6/10 and, whilst that seems low, only digitally shot movies and animation score above an 8/10 for me. The picture is a marked improvement on the DVD. The unfortunate distraction is grain which is pretty apparent all the way through, particularly in some of the darker scenes.

It's also really sad, and a missed opportunity on Disney's part that "When Love is Gone" is still missing. This reason alone could help make the buying choice for fans who may be on the fence but, for whatever reason, they have decided to leave it out. I have never really understood the reasoning but it's up to them I suppose.

The box, whilst nice(ish), still doesn't blow me away. Theres a nice raised effect on the slip sleeve but Kermit is really REALLY the wrong shade of green - more the bluer end of the spectrum. There is also a weird mash-up of the Drew Struzan art and the poser photography that doesn't quite work on the whole for me. That said, the results are far from criminal and much better than alot of the past DVD artwork for the movies - some of the nineties-early noughties artwork still give me nightmares today!!

The GREAT part is the audio commentary - it's BRILLIANT!!!!! Dave Goelz and Steve Whitmire are on fire and had me laughing my *** off. It's really worth the price of the disc alone. Seriously, every Muppet fan really needs to give it a listen.

Overall, this is far from the damp squib I was expecting. Better picture would be nice and as I've (over)stated many times, I would prefer to see the amazing work of Drew Struzan shown the respect it deserves but I am so happy with my purchase. I've owned every incarnation of The Muppet Christmas Carol and this is, without a doubt, the best release we've seen...so far!

Now Disney, give us the original trilogy already!!!!!!

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I'm still trying to convince my husband we shouldn't buy this because it's just not a good movie as he thinks it is. Lol

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
So let me get this straight,
The first DVD of MCC in 2002 was full screen only but featured a lot of bonus features just not widescreen. It also used the original poster art. This is the only one I have.

if you want to own a widescreen version of the film on dvd you have to buy the 50 years of being green 2005 version. but there is no widescreen version of when Love is gone on that disk but it is featured in full screen on that same disk. they dropped a bonus feature or two and added pepe's profile on Gonzo instead.

Now they release a new dvd and first time in Blu-ray and it's not widescreen as well as cutting When love is gone?? But it features all the bonus features from the past two dvd's as well as adding new ones. The other day I saw the new DVD only version mistakenly put out early at Walmart. It listed the Brian Henson commentary but not the new Kermit/Gonzo/Rizzo one. Maybe that's just on the bluray version and the Brian Henson one is only on the DVD? Seeing that if Love is gone...is gone then that would mean part of Brian's commentary is cut off too.

From what I have read the only complete widescreen release of the movie with when love is gone is the old laserdisc. So then that song has to exist in widescreen then right? It seems like you have to buy every single release so far to own "everything" bonus features and all. I can't believe they cut that song out when it was a featured selling point on past releases and I can't believe it's not in widescreen when the last one was. It seems great they combined all of the bonus features from past and present as well as adding new ones but the film just needed one song that has pretty much always been a part of the movie in all it's releases and tv airings that it's pretty much just been a part of the film from the start and shouldn't have been cut from the theatrical release as stated anyways . This would have been a perfect all out release if it just had those two things (wide screen and when love is gone) which are most important as they are part of the viewing of this film. Oh well...

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Now they release a new dvd and first time in Blu-ray and it's not widescreen as well as cutting When love is gone?? But it features all the bonus features from the past two dvd's as well as adding new ones. The other day I saw the new DVD only version mistakenly put out early at Walmart. It listed the Brian Henson commentary but not the new Kermit/Gonzo/Rizzo one. Maybe that's just on the bluray version and the Brian Henson one is only on the DVD? Seeing that if Love is gone...is gone then that would mean part of Brian's commentary is cut off too.

From what I have read the only complete widescreen release of the movie with when love is gone is the old laserdisc. So then that song has to exist in widescreen then right? It seems like you have to buy every single release so far to own "everything" bonus features and all. I can't believe they cut that song out when it was a featured selling point on past releases and I can't believe it's not in widescreen when the last one was. It seems great they combined all of the bonus features from past and present as well as adding new ones but the film just needed one song that has pretty much always been a part of the movie in all it's releases and tv airings that it's pretty much just been a part of the film from the start and shouldn't have been cut from the theatrical release as stated anyways . This would have been a perfect all out release if it just had those two things (wide screen and when love is gone) which are most important as they are part of the viewing of this film. Oh well...
Hopefully, this may put you at ease...hopefully. The new Blu ray is widescreen. I wholeheartedly agree that it should have had "when love is gone" included but, in my humble opinion, if you like this movie, the new release is an essential purchase.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Oh that's very good to hear at least, thank you! I was just going by what I read on-line on Amazon. Lol, I should know better, that's not the best source. That does make it better but very Unfourtunute for the song. Something must be wrong or missing or something. If they don't have a version of that in widescreen. Is the Brian Henson commentary on the bluray too? I only saw it on the back cover of the package on this new DVD. (Mistakley put out early but not the Bluray yet) But part of it would have to be cut as well Because he did comment during the song on the 2002 dvd release.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Oh that's very good to hear at least, thank you! I was just going by what I read on-line on Amazon. Lol, I should know better, that's not the best source. That does make it better but very Unfourtunute for the song. Something must be wrong or missing or something. If they don't have a version of that in widescreen. Is the Brian Henson commentary on the bluray too? I only saw it on the back cover of the package on this new DVD. (Mistakley put out early but not the Bluray yet) But part of it would have to be cut as well Because he did comment during the song on the 2002 dvd release.
Yes the Brian Henson commentary is there also but the real treat is the one by Kermit, Gonzo and Rizzo :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.