Pre-Order Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 (1979-1984) coming to DVD 11/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
I keep saying the theme song is probably not a rights issue.
If anything, maybe the kids seen in the opening theme sequences (who are now adults) want more money for their screen time. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I really disagree with this alteration and I'm still holding on to my logo-free Noggin recordings.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If there is a fourth Old School volume, I think it should do what is (apparrently) being done with the "Goodbye, Mr. Hooper" episode here, include the street scenes from certain episodes in addition to full episodes and classic cuts. Assuming volume 4 focuses on seasons 16-20, it'd be most expected that they include the street stories from Maria and Luis' wedding and Gabbi's birth episodes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If anything, maybe the kids seen in the opening theme sequences (who are now adults) want more money for their screen time. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I really disagree with this alteration and I'm still holding on to my logo-free Noggin recordings.
Like I said, they could easily blur them out. It'll look obvious, and stick out like a sore thumb, sure... but they'd be preserved.

I'm starting to think this is a mangled "favor" on the part of WB for marathon watching. But then, why isn't there that first one?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm starting to think this is a mangled "favor" on the part of WB for marathon watching. But then, why isn't there that first one?
Actually if the opening was cut for purposes of marathon watching (how often do people "marathon watch" shows on DVD, anyway? And I think I'd still want to see the opening and closing if I was "marathon watching") the opening should be on the first episodes of both discs.

Was the same opening used for seasons 11-15 or did it change any during this time?

Even though I doubt I'll buy it, it's a shame that the opening was cut from both episodes on the Elmo's Magic Numbers DVD. Were the "Word on the Street" cold openings cut as well? The Kinect Sesame Street TV release has 30-minute edited versions of hour-long episodes. I assume the opening is cut from the episodes on that release.

Well, it's two more days until the big day. I wonder if we'll get a trailer tomorrow, or another review (I've only seen four reviews so far). We know it'll have Dr. Noble Price, but will it have Deena and Pearl, Aristotle, Bruno, Leslie Mostly, or Shivers the Penguin? We'll see soon.

For a brief bit I wondered if the opening was removed to save disc space, since it's five hour-long episodes on two discs instead of three, plus more bonus features than the previous two. I had thought if it were to save on disc space I would have happily gone without the animated storybook (I don't think any of us were begging for that kind of bonus feature on a release like this, even if it was a classic book). Then I remembered that disc 1 has three episodes (well, they could have maybe made it four bonus clips per season instead of five, but I think I'd rather have more bonus clips than the opening).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Actually if the opening was cut for purposes of marathon watching (how often do people "marathon watch" shows on DVD, anyway? And I think I'd still want to see the opening and closing if I was "marathon watching") the opening should be on the first episodes of both discs.

Was the same opening used for seasons 11-15 or did it change any during this time?

Even though I doubt I'll buy it, it's a shame that the opening was cut from both episodes on the Elmo's Magic Numbers DVD. Were the "Word on the Street" cold openings cut as well? The Kinect Sesame Street TV release has 30-minute edited versions of hour-long episodes. I assume the opening is cut from the episodes on that release.

Well, it's two more days until the big day. I wonder if we'll get a trailer tomorrow, or another review (I've only seen four reviews so far). We know it'll have Dr. Noble Price, but will it have Deena and Pearl, Aristotle, Bruno, Leslie Mostly, or Shivers the Penguin? We'll see soon.
"Elmo's Magic Numbers" still has the WOTS bits; they immediately cross-dissolve to the main street story. The Kinect game does have the theme song though; though the title at the end is slightly altered.

jonnytbird

Reaction score
I know I haven't been on here for a while, but I'm super stoked about the new DVD box set! I kinda made a vow to not find out about the complete bonus classic cuts before I buy it in stores Wednesday, but I accidentally found out about it when I was just on muppet wiki. Maybe things will change because last I checked, it had 4 classic cuts listed for Season 12. And what's with "Henson Ball #3" being listed as Season 15? Truly, that must be some kind of mistake. Anyway, from now until Wednesday, I won't visit this site or anything muppet-related or nothing related to this box set. I know it'll be released tomorrow, but I'm gonna be super busy then. Wednesday, I'll have myself more free time. I'll share my opinions after I buy it.

Take care!
Jon

jonnytbird

Reaction score

For a brief bit I wondered if the opening was removed to save disc space, since it's five hour-long episodes on two discs instead of three, plus more bonus features than the previous two. I had thought if it were to save on disc space I would have happily gone without the animated storybook (I don't think any of us were begging for that kind of bonus feature on a release like this, even if it was a classic book). Then I remembered that disc 1 has three episodes (well, they could have maybe made it four bonus clips per season instead of five, but I think I'd rather have more bonus clips than the opening).
I just found out that it'll have Dr Nobel Price: Talky Stick! That was the only Dr Price moment where Warren Wolf interviews him and not Kermit. So far, it only shows 4 classic cuts from Season 12. So I'm hoping that something with Deena and Pearl will be added as short notice but who knows. At least we'll see Aristotle in Season 13 classic cuts. I don't think they'll feature Leslie Mostly, which kinda sucks cuz I was hoping to see the one where she interviews Guy Smiley. I don't even know if anything from Karen Prell will be featured either. Plus, I think Forgetful Jones from 1446 will be the only one that we see with Michael Earl.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just found out that it'll have Dr Nobel Price: Talky Stick! That was the only Dr Price moment where Warren Wolf interviews him and not Kermit. So far, it only shows 4 classic cuts from Season 12.
Regarding season 12 having 4 instead of 5 clips, I wonder if that was an oversight. I noticed that on the Honk Around the Clock page lists Old School Volume 3 as a video release yet that's Honk Around the Clock is not listed on the page.

According to Muppet Wiki's Sesame Street News Flash page, the "Talky Stick" is actually a microphone, not an umbrella. And I don't see anything in the listing about a "Dr. Noble Price Umbrella" segment. It could be the segment listed as "in the rain" or "weather around the world", or perhaps it was cut from Noggin (or added in place of something that's cut for rights issues).

Looks like there'll be at least three bonus Kermit segments, two of which are songs (I wasn't expecting two Kermit songs as bonus clips). I do find it odd that Henson Ball #3 is on there, since that's from season 2 and the redone ending is from season 6 (which is on the second volume). I'd be surprised if there was an alteration we weren't aware of (hopefully it's the powder ending).

Wow, only one celebrity clip? That's unusual.

I've noticed five clips I can't identify by title (including Trash Outta Heaven). I can get an idea from the titles, but still, it'll be fun to see what happens in those segments (I get a feeling most of them are films or cartoons).

Status
Not open for further replies.