The 2012 Presidential Election: Mitt Romney vs. Barack Obama

Who will you vote for in the 2012 Presidential Election?

• Mitt Romney

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I don't think Romney would have cut the funding to PBS and Sesame in the end...after all that critisicim he got, I doubt it.

Truthfully, I think more people vote in American Idol than in the American Election.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't think Romney would have cut the funding to PBS and Sesame in the end...after all that critisicim he got, I doubt it.
It's nothing new. Republicans have threatened PBS for years but never follow through. It's just pandering to the base. But they're very wrong to do this because it wastes time that should be spend on ideas to fix the economy.

To be fair and equal, I am still annoyed at how Obama handled the Benghazi incident. It doesn't look great when the Libyan President is more in touch with reality than you are, lol.

beaker

Reaction score
My state was one of who legalized same sex marriage tonight. And I am proud to say one of those votes came from me. I was probably the only one in my family who voted yes. I come from a very Republican/Conservative bunch and while I was scared at first to vote yes because of that I realized I couldn't let that stop me from what I feel is the right thing to do. I must say I felt really good afterwards knowing I stuck to up for my beliefs. :smile:
Yay for you! It'd be ironic if my "liberal"(yeah right) state of California or super hipster Oregon were the last coastal states to legalize same sex marriage. There is a (false) perception that most gay people are wealthy...surprise Republicans don't want to tap into that demographic. But the reality is, as many GOP pundits pointed out, the Republicans will have to try and court minority votes.

Bush won 40% of the Hispanic vote, Romney got hardly any non white votes in this election. A party who has become very marginalized and has scared off many moderate conservatives (A lot of my Christian conservative friends have ended up going more Libertarian or supporting third party as a result of the GOP move to the farther right).

Every conservative, nay, human should have been outraged by the horrific comments some in the party were making about women this year. If a Democrat had said those I'd also be upset.

beaker

Reaction score
I'm also gonna say I don't care if your red or blue or even independant in the end were ALL Americans and we need to work together!!! Sitting there and bashing each others affiliations or even politicians isn't gonna get anything done! It's been going on on TV, newspapers, and yes EVEN on this forum. It's why it took me so long to even to register to vote because I absolutely HATE taking sides. I see points on both sides of the fence so I am probably the absolute worst person when it comes to politics to begin with. I'm not saying it isn't okay to have differences but sometimes you need to put those aside so you can accomplish things and maybe just maybe you'll learn something about the other you never knew.

I've seen so much hate from both sides throughout this whole election. Even reading comments about how some wish that Obama or Romney would just die? That's just plain cruel! I don't care how much you dislike either candidate don't ever wish death on someone because it could come back to bite you in the rear!

Jim Henson was all about team work no matter what the differences but he also embraced those differences as well. And I feel like we as people need to do the same.

I respect conservative views when it comes to things other than social issues. I don't consider gay rights up for debate. And while I lean pro choice in personal views, I believe women should have the ability to have unfettered access to affordable health care and any sort of program for screening and related needs.

When it comes to foreign policy, well sadly Obama and Bush seem to clearly have a very similar viewpoint (one I do not share)

However on the economy, I definitely can understand the conservative perspective on some key things. There's really no need for hate on either side. However, the fact billions were spent (or in my view, wasted) in this election is quite a shame.

Btw, I have this feeling liberals like myself take issue with Obama for entirely different reasons than many conservatives take issue with him.

beaker

Reaction score
To be fair and equal, I am still annoyed at how Obama handled the Benghazi incident. It doesn't look great when the Libyan President is more in touch with reality than you are, lol.
I find it weird that the right wing attacked the left for questioning the events of 9/11/2001, yet they themselves are going wild over speculation regarding the 9/11/2012 attacks. But again, life is ironic. What I was happy about was the Libyan people en masse rejecting violence and terrorism. I originally thought the Libyan rebels would become jihadists, but unlike Syria I think there's a more moderate tone.

I am curious if Obama has any ambitious or risky plans for the next four years economic, middle eastern peace, etc wise. Or, if it's going to be more of the two steps forward, a few steps to the side, back to square one.

So your saying not much change is gonna happen? :stick_out_tongue:

Hubert makes some great points it's another reason why I hate politics I can't tell you how many friendships I've seen end over it. If you can have a civilized discussion about your differences by all means I am all for it. But don't sit there and tell someone their wrong just because you don't agree with it. People need to know when to just say agree to disagree and move on! I mean it's obvious your not gonna change the other persons minds about their beliefs to begin with so why add more to the fire as they say? Life is too short!
I agree! It is sad how friendships can be strained over talk of religion, politics, social beliefs. I've definitely lost(or I feel it had an effect) some friends over political views...and they were allegedly fellow "liberals". I never seem to have too many issues with conservatives for some reason, I just notice (especially college aged) liberals seem to get a bit too heated. I'm one of those fringe liberals that thinks Obama is too right wing and not liberal enough. But, ultimately I was able to table those beliefs and attempt to share in everyone's enthusiasm last night. This election, despite the slightly lower turnout, seemed to really matter to a lot of people. Economically, it's doubtful either Obama or Romney can truly turn things around.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Not sure why there was the need for all that in quoting my posts but to each his own. For me the election is over and I am thankful it is!!!! I only mentioned that I voted for gay rights thing because I was proud that I stuck to my beliefs despite my families views on it. Im really not the one you wanna get political with because I don't like the confrontation that comes with it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've definitely lost(or I feel it had an effect) some friends over political views...and they were allegedly fellow "liberals".
(First just a disclaimer: I mean this in a polite, constructive criticism way, lol.) Liberals sometimes don't know how to separate a person from their spoken beliefs. They don't understand that (for example) just because a guy says he's against gay rights doesn't mean he would be cruel to every gay person he sees in real life. Real life is more complicated than the lip service people give. That's why a show like All in the Family was so brilliant, Archie was a bigot at times but not an evil person.