The 2012 Presidential Election: Mitt Romney vs. Barack Obama

Who will you vote for in the 2012 Presidential Election?

• Mitt Romney

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
(First just a disclaimer: I mean this in a polite, constructive criticism way, lol.) Liberals sometimes don't know how to separate a person from their spoken beliefs. They don't understand that (for example) just because a guy says he's against gay rights doesn't mean he would be cruel to every gay person he sees in real life. Real life is more complicated than the lip service people give. That's why a show like All in the Family was so brilliant, Archie was a bigot at times but not an evil person.
I have to say I totally agree with this. :X

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I've voted for both parties since Bush vs Clinton.
My political leanings are not knee-jerk reactions. They have developed over time, however I finally registered as a Democrat this year. I once overlooked social issues for fiscal ones at this county's peril (especially under Bush 43) and will never do so again.

I believe that every individual and household should have the right to live and thrive under their beliefs.
That means I support LGBT rights 100%. I will never vote for a candidate who would bully us or threaten to limit our freedoms! Would Christians want us coming into their homes and telling them how to live or raise their kids? Does this seem fair? Of course not, but there's a sense of dominionism in some Americans, that the mention of a creator in the Declaration of Independence entitles them to religious supremacy. Gay marriage will not lead to people wanting to marry toaster ovens - even though some of those 4-slice jobs are friggin' sweet! The marriage equality opposition often uses peripheral arguments to make their case because they know how horribly prejudice it sounds at face-value. The main argument is against gay marriage is that of polygamy. Since that Biblically-rooted practice primarily exists within religious sects I have nothing to add one way or the other. That's something for the religious folk sort out. I'll stay out of that because it's a completely different conversation.

As for this war on women, I support every woman.
I'm a child of adoption so I am one of its biggest advocates! I wish the process could be made easier for everyone. A lot of kids need families. I also believe private family matters should stay that way. I can't get beyond the catch22. Like most Americans, I fall on the side of choice with the hope that life will win-out even though I hold no personal judgment if it doesn't.

I also voted to repeal the death penalty on California.
Yup, but it lost. So did labeling genetically altered produce. Maybe they can feed this franken-fruit to inmates on death row. Sigh.

I think it's funny that so many Republicans believe their candidate lost due to a storm or a lack of conservatism. They lost because Republicans are no longer Republicans. The party usually leaves social issues for the states to decide and if local elections are any indication, they are on the wrong side of marriage equality. It took Obama three and one-half years to get around to supporting it, yet never has there been a more LGBT friendly President than our 44th. The amount of support he's given us is unprecedented. Truly astounding! Mark my words, even though the public hasn't followed what he's done in that area, history will remember him very much for it.

I hate the term flip-flopper because every candidate worms their way around the issues, but none as much as Romney. His campaign frequently supported several positions of any given issue during the same day! Say what you will about Bush 43, but much of his popularity stemmed from the fact that he stood by what he said and left little ambiguity. Romney behaved like an empty suit. A person who just wanted to win and America saw that.

Our President did drop the ball in his first term. It's now his duty to come to the table and compromise with Republican leadership so we can all move forward. That is, if the Tea Party will let the Republicans budge at all. Our current situation is the fault of BOTH parties and it will require BOTH parties to fix it.

That said, I'm very happy about the Obama win. Ecstatic!
/soapbox

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
And that's why both parties need to work together even though they won't.

EDIT- I should note my Republican friends on Facebook are driving me absolutely insane over Romney losing. I know it's not a good feeling when the person who you voted for doesn't come out on top but for crying out loud be a good sport and let it go!!! Sitting there throwing a tantrum like a 5 year old isn't gonna reverse anything. I finally had to tell my cousin "CONCEED IT'S OVER!!!" I'm sure that's how the Democrats felt when Bush was reelected. As they say your not gonna please everyone. For me personally I couldn't relate to Romney at all. I mean for crying out loud the man comes from MONEY. He's never known what it's like to struggle and work for things. And even though he lost he's still gonna be living in some high street mansion and living a life I can only dream of! So on that level I definitely felt I could relate to Obama more. However I also agreed with some of Romney's beliefs as well which I won't go into.

Even if your not for Obama he's still our commander in chief and we need to respect him no matter what. I'm not saying I totally agree with everything Obama stands for because there's quite a few things I am against but all in all I think he's a good person and not this evil monster that Republicans claim him to be. I think Bush was a very terrible, terrible, president but I still also think he's a good person. And I wouldn't wish ill will on any of them no matter what political platform they stand on.

This is exactly why and I hate to sound like a broken record but that's why I hate taking sides in politics. I'm an Independant voter because I do my own thing I don't follow trends. I literally see good points on both sides which is why it took me till I was 23 to finally register because my mom pressured me into it despite my protests of why I didn't want to.

beaker

Reaction score
For people butthurt that Romney lost, tell them: Dont worry, the endless bombing of Muslim countries, further expansion of the Patriot Act/NDAA/Big Brother, aggressive agenda against medical marijuana, witch hunting of whistleblowers, massive deportation of "illegals", being in the pocket of Israel/Saudi Arabia/wall street/corporations, expansion of harmful environmental events in the name of gobbling up more energy resources, etc will continue under Obama as per usual...just like under Bush! Tell Republicans to just think of Obama as Bush with a tan:smile:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Well I can't say too much on Republicans, Democrats were butt hurt when Bush got reelected.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
For people butthurt that Romney lost, tell them: Dont worry, the endless bombing of Muslim countries, further expansion of the Patriot Act/NDAA/Big Brother, aggressive agenda against medical marijuana, witch hunting of whistleblowers, massive deportation of "illegals", being in the pocket of Israel/Saudi Arabia/wall street/corporations, expansion of harmful environmental events in the name of gobbling up more energy resources, etc will continue under Obama as per usual...just like under Bush! Tell Republicans to just think of Obama as Bush with a tan:smile:
That's an over-simplification of a larger issue, but I won't dig too far into it. I see that this particular issue is very important to you and I respect that very much. Things have gotten better under Obama, but not enough by a lot of people's standards. He is in no way "Bush with a tan." The oil industry, environmentalists, banks, congress, gays, women and evangelicals would completely disagree with you. The "cola" branding argument doesn't hold up when applied to 90% of America's issues and that's why we're in this gridlock. But I digress...

There are plenty of people who run for President. Of course the perfect candidate doesn't exist. Still, it's up to you to find a third-party candidate, support them, register and vote. Every vote for a third-party takes one away from a Republican or Democrat so it can and does influence their platform if that number is great enough. That creates change. This is America. You have a voice, but only if you vote. So, even if you hate all the candidates, there's someone you can support. One frog can make a difference...oh, yeah...that's some other thing. :smile: Ha! Anyway, policy is shaped by people who participate. :wink:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
And that is why I voted for Santa Clause. Which means I get extra goodies this year. :big_grin:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
See that is when I get angry at people when they sit there and rant about who's in office when they didn't even vote. I'm thinking well if you didn't vote then your opinion doesn't matter.

By the way sorry for the double posting.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm thinking well if you didn't vote then your opinion doesn't matter.
I'd agree more in an ideal world, hehe. But the candidates we get are the ones who had the most money, not necessarily the most qualified. The whole thing is a very problematic and not addressed enough.

It's not that far off from Student of the Month elections where you knew only a select few were ever seriously considered because they had the most friends, hehe. :wink:

beaker

Reaction score
That's an over-simplification of a larger issue, but I won't dig too far into it. I see that this particular issue is very important to you and I respect that very much. Things have gotten better under Obama, but not enough by a lot of people's standards. He is in no way "Bush with a tan." The oil industry, environmentalists, banks, congress, gays, women and evangelicals would completely disagree with you. The "cola" branding argument doesn't hold up when applied to 90% of America's issues and that's why we're in this gridlock. But I digress...

There are plenty of people who run for President. Of course the perfect candidate doesn't exist. Still, it's up to you to find a third-party candidate, support them, register and vote. Every vote for a third-party takes one away from a Republican or Democrat so it can and does influence their platform if that number is great enough. That creates change. This is America. You have a voice, but only if you vote. So, even if you hate all the candidates, there's someone you can support. One frog can make a difference...oh, yeah...that's some other thing. :smile: Ha! Anyway, policy is shaped by people who participate. :wink:

I can agree with you.

Btw Frogboy, THIS is how Romney treated all his campaign, staffers, aides, etc the night of the election. I cannot see how a single person could support what Romney represents. Check this out:

Staffers working for the Romney 2012 campaign got a sudden and unwelcome lesson in fiscal conservatism Tuesday night and Wednesday morning when they tried to check out of hotel rooms or travel home. According to NBC’s “First Read” blog, campaign workers were left to pull themselves up by their bootstraps when they found that all the credit cards issued by Romney/Ryan 2012 were canceled as soon as the nominee finished his concession speech.

“From the moment Mitt Romney stepped off stage Tuesday night, having just delivered a brief concession speech he wrote only that evening, the massive infrastructure surrounding his campaign quickly began to disassemble itself,” wrote NBC’s Garrett Haake. “Aides taking cabs home late that night got rude awakenings when they found the credit cards linked to the campaign no longer worked.”

Forbes magazine explained that this is not normal protocol for political campaigns.

“In case you are wondering, this did not have to happen,” wrote columnist Helaine Olen. “The Mitt Romney for President entity does not end with Romney’s Tuesday night loss. There are papers to be filed with various federal commissions and bills to be paid.”

Raw Story (http://s.tt/1sLwa)
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/...mpaign-killed-credit-cards-on-election-night/

wow. Even to their own dyed in the wool campaign staffers and help, people who worked tirelessly for a long time day in and day out for Romney, THIS is how they get treated. wow.
We can criticize Team Obama, but they'd never do this.