Questions we may never know the answer

Piggy The Frog

Reaction score
I wasn't around in the 1970's, but I know that Maria and David were in a relationship back then. Does anyone know when exactly they broke up? David didn't seem to be completely over her when she and Luis got married. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into this...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wasn't around in the 1970's, but I know that Maria and David were in a relationship back then. Does anyone know when exactly they broke up? David didn't seem to be completely over her when she and Luis got married. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into this...
I don't think there was an official break-up episode. In fact, in the book Street Gang, it says that Northern Calloway was upset that they didn't have Maria marry Luis, but the producers or whoever thought it'd be risky to have an interracial marriage on the show, especially since they already went through a bit of trouble to get the marriage approved of in the first place. But then in the 40th anniversary book, it says that they originally DID consider having Maria and David marry instead, only for Northern to ask them to reconsider due to his poor health.

Considering Northern died a few years after the marriage, it probably is best that Maria didn't marry David. Not sure whether they would have wanted to an episode dealing with David's death (though it could have led to a possibility of adding single-parenting to the curriculum). Though I do wonder, when either of the actors playing a married character dies, I wonder if the absense will be explained.

Piggy The Frog

Reaction score
I don't think there was an official break-up episode. In fact, in the book Street Gang, it says that Northern Calloway was upset that they didn't have Maria marry Luis, but the producers or whoever thought it'd be risky to have an interracial marriage on the show, especially since they already went through a bit of trouble to get the marriage approved of in the first place. But then in the 40th anniversary book, it says that they originally DID consider having Maria and David marry instead, only for Northern to ask them to reconsider due to his poor health.

Considering Northern died a few years after the marriage, it probably is best that Maria didn't marry David. Not sure whether they would have wanted to an episode dealing with David's death (though it could have led to a possibility of adding single-parenting to the curriculum). Though I do wonder, when either of the actors playing a married character dies, I wonder if the absense will be explained.
I know that the marriage/pregnancy storyline came about because Sonia Manzano became pregnant in real life. If I remember correctly, Northern's final episode was the one with Gabi's birth. It definitely would have been depressing to see the next season start with Maria becoming a widow and raising Gabi alone...

I don't know what they'd do after the death of an actor playing a married character. In a way, I think it would be good to write their absence into the show, either by having the character die or making something up (like when David left to live with his grandmother) rather than recast the role or act as if the character never existed.

cjd874

Reaction score
Speaking of David...here's a question that probably no one knows the answer to:
We know the last names of the characters Maria and Luis (Rodriguez), Susan and Gordon (Robinson), Gina (Jefferson), and Bob (Johnson) from reading the SS 40 Years of Sunny Days book. But was there ever any mentioning of David's last name on the show, or in writing?

Piggy The Frog

Reaction score
That's a good question! I don't think David's last name was ever mentioned. Same with Linda. I used to think that Linda's last name was Bove, like the actress, but Bob McGrath's character is named Bob Johnson, so I don't know.

Katzi428

Reaction score
That's a good question! I don't think David's last name was ever mentioned. Same with Linda. I used to think that Linda's last name was Bove, like the actress, but Bob McGrath's character is named Bob Johnson, so I don't know.
No..David's last name was never mentioned. In fact...no one's last names were really mentioned until around I'd say the later seasons. Gordon Susan & Miles are the Robinsons. (tribute to Matt Robinson since he was the first one to play Gordon)There's a thread around here somewhere asking if Chris is Olivia's (Gordon's sister)'s son or not so his last name might be Robinson too. , Luis Maria & Gabi are the Rodriguezes , (I thought they kept Linda as Linda Bove & Bob as "Bob McGrath")

cjd874

Reaction score
No..David's last name was never mentioned. In fact...no one's last names were really mentioned until around I'd say the later seasons. Gordon Susan & Miles are the Robinsons. (tribute to Matt Robinson since he was the first one to play Gordon)There's a thread around here somewhere asking if Chris is Olivia's (Gordon's sister)'s son or not so his last name might be Robinson too. , Luis Maria & Gabi are the Rodriguezes , (I thought they kept Linda as Linda Bove & Bob as "Bob McGrath")
Hmmm...that is an interesting idea...since Chris is Gordon & Susan's nephew, then yes, logically Chris is Olivia's son, even though Olivia never had a child on the show.
Unless Gordon and Olivia had other siblings that didn't live on the Street.
^ But then again, NO ONE will ever know the answer to that.

Back on topic, I never heard David's last name mentioned either. I've seen a lot of classic clips & street scenes on Youtube, but nothing mentioning David's last name, or Linda's. Thanks for your ideas, everyone!

Piggy The Frog

Reaction score
It's a mystery! :search:

Katzi428

Reaction score
After posting about Chris I read in Muppet Wiki that Chris has a (fraternal) twin sister named Christy (both on the show and off the show.But Christy just appeared twice on the show)